Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
well I found that it st-st-stutters on a high bitrate feed when playing (no HDD hooked up). Found a high def feed and it stutters constantly

Thanks for the confirmation. We need to get this fixed via firmware. I am not sure how we tell dvbworld as it only happens on some high bit rate ones.

I agree

Now that its over it was the Senior Bowl game that was in HD. Whats weird is other HD feeds play fine that were from the other "big sports cable networks"

Now that its over it was the Senior Bowl game that was in HD. Whats weird is other HD feeds play fine that were from the other "big sports cable networks"

I wonder if the studder is actually due to high bitrate or due to some other attribute of the feed? In either case, I'm hoping it gets resolved. If this receiver can be made to record 99 percent of the feeds up there, I'm in.

I made a few more test recordings of different formats.

The good news is, 4:2:2 is recorded just fine as an MPEG file, and VLC will play it. (I only tested SD so far though.)

The bad news is, anything, as far as I can tell, that's MPEG4 will only record as a .dvr file, even if you have PS mode selected, which severely limits your options for playing it on a computer.
Can you or anybody test 4.2.2 on HD please and play it back on VLC. I am almost sold on this receiver, thanks much!

I wonder if the studder is actually due to high bitrate or due to some other attribute of the feed? In either case, I'm hoping it gets resolved. If this receiver can be made to record 99 percent of the feeds up there, I'm in.

We are not talking about recording. We are just talking about watching.

Can you or anybody test 4.2.2 on HD please and play it back on VLC. I am almost sold on this receiver, thanks much!

I haven't come across any lately, I'm pretty limited as to what satellites I receive.

I'm getting frustrated with the amount of times this box is locking up.

I've found two different types of situation so far. The first one is the one Iceberg also mentioned, where it totally locks up, seemingly if you hit buttons too fast, especially after just changing a channel.

The new type that I started seeing about Friday when I had all day to play with it involves the controls being unresponsive, but the audio and video continuing to play. This seems to happen whether I'm pushing a lot of buttons or not, and mostly seems to happen on glitches in the stream due to momentary signal strength drops or feed uplinkers changing video sources. It doesn't happen in all of these instances, just enough to be annoying. Once in a while it'll come out of it either on its own or by pressing the buttons for a long time, but mostly it needs a power cycle.

I've also had it lock up when tuning to a feed channel that's no longer on the air, but I don't know whether this belongs to the first type or second type above...

Am I the only one having this many problems? I'm hoping it's just the firmware and my operating style and not my hardware. I'm mostly into the hobby for the signal-hunting geekery and for news feeds, so I flip channels a lot rather than sitting on one feed for hours watching a game or something.

I"m getting lockups here too. Sometimes only a power cycle will get out of it, sometimes it corrects itself, no pattern that I can tell. I think my better half is frustrated with the noises coming from the remote, she has mentioned it a couple of times. Of course, since its a new toy its getting a lot of use so she is hearing it a lot.
I watched a 36 Mbit feed stutter free this afternoon, strangely the box wouldn't blind scan it in, I had to put in the info. Lots of signal, just wouldn't lock on.
I tried to record some 4:2:2 for someone who asked above but the box says "not enough space on usb" and won't record. Its high bit rate stuff so I suppose it detects space and incoming data rate or maybe the read/write speed isn't high enough. I noticed a reference to that in the manual about time shift.
Copy/paste:

Notes: Time Shifting will only be available when USB
HDD is connected to system and read/write speed is
high enough to do that.

Overall I think we are a few firmware updates away from a smooth working box.

says "not enough space on usb" and won't record.
I get that too, haven't quite narrowed it down, but think my Hard Drive is only USB1.0 and is too slow. I found if I connect a Drive and reboot, I have better luck recording.

Mine is a USB 2.0. Sometimes it doesn't say "not enough space on usb", it just starts recording as usual but it really isn't recording at all, just going through the motions. I have no problems recording regular SD feeds just the higher bit rate HD stuff, that's what makes me think the pen drive can't keep up. Its the only drive I have to play with so I can't compare with anything else.

enough. I noticed a reference to that in the manual about time shift.

OK, I'll bite: where did you get the manual? I asked Sadoun about it on their own board and they said they would be posting it shortly, but I still can't find it.

OK, I'll bite: where did you get the manual? I asked Sadoun about it on their own board and they said they would be posting it shortly, but I still can't find it.

I uploaded it here a few days ago, Iceberg acknowledged getting it? Maybe its in the Manual section? I haven't checked. Sadoun is doing a manual also? The one I have is from Dvbworld.

I tried to record some 4:2:2 for someone who asked above but the box says "not enough space on usb" and won't record.

Here is my thought on the "not enough room"

I hooked up a 2GB drive and when I hit record got that error. Hooked up the 320GB drive and it worked. When you hit record it "defaults" to 2 hours (you can change it by hitting the record button again), so possibly the machine "knows" that you cant get 2 hours on the 2GB drive so it wont let you?

Here is my thought on the "not enough room"

I hooked up a 2GB drive and when I hit record got that error. Hooked up the 320GB drive and it worked. When you hit record it "defaults" to 2 hours (you can change it by hitting the record button again), so possibly the machine "knows" that you cant get 2 hours on the 2GB drive so it wont let you?

I tried with both firmwares, 1.24 and 1.25 but no go. Hitting record again doesn't seem to do anything. I suspect its just something with the drive. I tried both ntfs and fat formatting and it didn't seem to make any difference, still get the "USB space to small".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts