Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I turned the TV's Speaker to "On" to test, still nothing.
Jim, you are using the same channels as I, the PBS Channels on 125?

You're not understanding me for some reason.

I'm NOT saying that the SatHawk decodes AC3! I admit it doesn't, even though the manual says it does.

What I'm trying to say here is that the SPDIF output isn't the only way to get AC3 out of it. If you have an audio receiver that processes audio from HDMI, the SatHawk also sends the AC3 stream out the HDMI port. Apparently starman and I are the only ones here with a modern audio receiver.

You're not understanding me for some reason.

I'm NOT saying that the SatHawk decodes AC3! I admit it doesn't, even though the manual says it does.

What I'm trying to say here is that the SPDIF output isn't the only way to get AC3 out of it. If you have an audio receiver that processes audio from HDMI, the SatHawk also sends the AC3 stream out the HDMI port. Apparently starman and I are the only ones here with a modern audio receiver.

what is the Brand Name of your audio receiver?

that's a nice one. I have the 605 and I love it.

Funny thing is that lots of receivers will not repeat or send the audio to the TV but even with the old ones or the less functional (HDMI switcher) you still should be able to decode AC3 on a DD receiver. Things get more complex if DTS MA or Dolby True HD formats are used but that is not the case here.

It depends on wether the receiver has HDMI repeater, passthrough or switcher functionality.

Passthrough as it indicates will send the audio/video untouched to the HDMI out (usually video untouched to a TV). Switcher will basically switch the video sources but will only process the audio internally and therefore will not send any audio to the hdmi out. the repeater will process both and send both if needed, you can even control on the menu what you want the receiver to do (on mine audio out is off and tv speakers are off too and video passesthrough untouched).

Of course it depends on wether the source is actually sending AC3 over HDMI or LPCM 5.1 dependiong on the settings on the receiver in this case.

As per Jim S is saying apparently this receiver do "decodes" AC3 into LPCM and is able to send PCM and AC3 either via SPDIF or HDMI but is not able to perform a D/A conversion for the RCA stereo analog output.

Funny thing is as long as the sat receiver can output LPCM 5.1 (only HDMI suppor this format) it does not matter , quality wise, wether is compressed DD 5.1 or multichannel LPCM 5.1.

More info here at HDMI: pass through, repeater, switcher? - Audioholics Home Theater Forums

I just re-read the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread and think there is a confusion on what AC3 decoding means. For the ones who have a playstation 3 will see the difference since it uses the bitstream terminology to refer to LPCM 5.1 as I recall.

The AC3 bitstreaming setting is probably decoding AC3 into multichannel LPCM 5.1 therefore can only be sent via HDMI (S/PDIF does not have that capability , only PCM 2.0 and DD 5.1 since it requieres more bandwith) to a compatible receiver (not every receiver and probably none TV will decode this). Most DD receivers as well as most TV's will only work with compressed AC3 or uncompressed PCM 2.0 , see the difference here?, only 2 uncompressed digital audio channels or 5.1 compressed DD audio tracks.

probably ike Jim said , for copy protection reasons (and also it makes no sense to receive audio on a TV via HDMI (high bandwith capable) to send it back to a receiver via S/PDIF (low bandwith capable) no TV will send audio via S/PDIF that came via HDMI. My high end Samsumg 4071 does not BTW.

If you have no audio receiver then connect the sat box to the tv with hdmi and then let the sat box send either AC3 or PCM 2.0 to the TV via HDMI (let the TV do the decoding and even in that case the final D/A conversion to drive the TV speakers). But if the sat box sends LPCM 5.1 via HDMI you are screw since the TV will not process this. Most devices will decode AC3 into PCM 2.0 instead (like probably the AZbox is doing) not LPCM 5.1 which is the prefered method.

If you have an audio receiver , DD capable , all fairly new are, and want to impress your friends (lots of people did it with DTS MA and DD True HD where all you needed was a receiver and a BD player that were LPCM 7.1 capable, no need to buy an expensive True HD receiver like I did) with the 5.1 icons lighting up then do the same and let the receiver in this case do the processing. Set tv speakers to off and even tell the receiver not to send audio to TV because there is no need for it.

If you have an audio receiver that is not DD 5.1 capable then you are screw , you will need the sat box to decode AC3 into PCM 2.0 and then you can process that audio pretty much like a TV does.

If you have a fully capable receiver you could let the sat box decode AC3 into LPCM 5.1 and send it via HDMI and then let the receiver do the D/A processing. Or to releive the sat box from that processing power then just send the AC3 audio straight to the receiver and enjoy the 5.1 icons, lol. Remember S/PDIF due to bandwith contraints can only handle either PCM 2.0 or AC3. PCM and LPCM is the same thing by the way , total amount of discrete digital audio channels either 2.0 or 5.1 or 7.1 determines which connction you can use , either S/PDIF or HDMI.

As usual I could be wrong though.

As per Jim S is saying apparently this receiver do "decodes" AC3 into LPCM and is able to send PCM and AC3 either via SPDIF or HDMI but is not able to perform a D/A conversion for the RCA stereo analog output.

No it does NOT decode AC3 into LPCM, where did you get the idea I was saying that?

The AC3 bitstreaming setting is probably decoding AC3 into multichannel LPCM 5.1

No, the bitstreaming setting is sending the un-decoded AC3 data out the SPDIF and HDMI ports. That's what bitstreaming means.

I think the confusion in this thread is from Iceberg saying that it doesn't output AC3 via HDMI, when he means that it doesn't decode it and output the sound.

I think the confusion in this thread is from Iceberg saying that it doesn't output AC3 via HDMI
I assumed my TV passed "Sound" via an Optical Out connection, not thinking it is limited to the Built-in Tuner only, not incoming HDMI. :(
Looks like a new receiver is in my future. :)

I think the confusion in this thread is from Iceberg saying that it doesn't output AC3 via HDMI, when he means that it doesn't decode it and output the sound.

correct. You need some piece of external audio equipment to decode the sound with the reciever

The Pansat, Quali and Coolsats will work just fine with NO external audio equipment.

Ok those of you that have experimented with the new receiver what's the general consensus so far. Sounds like it's still worth it even though it doesn't do 4:2:2? What other problems that have been found might? be solved with firmware updates?
I've enjoyed all the posts so far and I'm still looking at getting one so far. Blind

I guess China in on Holiday for New Years until Feb 15th :) so only time will tell

Right now, for me, it's just a Blind Scanning machine. It can control a Motor, but only in single LNB mode. In other words, it can either control multiple LNBs OR control a Motor, not both at the same time.
So I have it slaved to the AZBox.

Jim S , apparently I misread you then. I do not have this box and I just read the manual so I was going kind of blind.

So Jim S. , if I understand correctly , if you select LPCM as Digital audio out , it does not send any digital audio at all to your Onkyo via HDMI but if you select B/S then it send the raw AC3 data?. Am I correct?.

What about S/PDIF if you sleect LPCM?.

I seem to remember you had a Vantage 1100S at one time? If so how does the blind scan compare?
Speed wise, completely blows the Vantage away. A Vantage Blind Scan would take about 15 minutes.
As for sensitivity, I have yet to lock anything below a 2,000 Scan Rate with the PVR800 - but that does not concern me.

Ok those of you that have experimented with the new receiver what's the general consensus so far. Sounds like it's still worth it even though it doesn't do 4:2:2? What other problems that have been found might? be solved with firmware updates?

If I limited my notes from a few days ago here is what I would say

Pros:
Fast Blind Scan - DVB & DVB-S2...faster than my Coolsat
No need for DVB-S2 FEC and Pilot, just need Freq - Polarity - Scan Rate
Motor is spot on both Diseqc 1.2 and USALS
63 motor settings for Diseqc 1.2 (some receivers only have 20-25)

Cons:
Motor will not move if you select a Horizontal Transponder...edit: found a workaround. Select a V transponder channel and the dish moves. Then select a H transponder on same satellite and it will still move. You just can't make the motor "start" on a H transponder
If you use a motor you can only use one LNB. The switch options are basically turned off for a motor
No 4:2:2 support...get a gobbly gook screen
Will not play AC-3 audio through HDMI or RCA cables. Will play through coaxial plug

I moved it from the main room to the computer room as a secondary receiver right now. The advantage for me putting it here is I can see HD channels now in the computer room. The azbox is in the main room

But the software update needs to address the motor issue and the switch issue when using a motor IMMEDIATELY!!

Speed wise, completely blows the Vantage away. A Vantage Blind Scan would take about 15 minutes.
As for sensitivity, I have yet to lock anything below a 2,000 Scan Rate with the PVR800 - but that does not concern me.

I dont' think I've logged anything below 2000 either but I haven't really been looking. I got it for the blind scan and am happy with it so far. Really need the switch settings in the motor antenna screen though, without it I have to do a lot of button pushing and I hate the remote!!

Jim S , apparently I misread you then. I do not have this box and I just read the manual so I was going kind of blind.

So Jim S. , if I understand correctly , if you select LPCM as Digital audio out , it does not send any digital audio at all to your Onkyo via HDMI but if you select B/S then it send the raw AC3 data?. Am I correct?.

What about S/PDIF if you sleect LPCM?.

The manual is wrong, it doesn't decode AC3 to LPCM or analog, ever. (Also there is only a coaxial S/PDIF jack, not optical, and there is no RF-modulated output.)

If you select LPCM and tune to a channel that only has AC3 audio, you get no audio output from any jack. If you select bitstream, the raw AC3 data goes out the S/PDIF jack and the HDMI jack.

In either LPCM or bitstream mode, normal MPEG1 audio channels go out the HDMI jack as 2-channel 48kHz PCM. I would presume it also goes out the S/PDIF jack, but I haven't tested it. And of course the analog audio jacks work.

with regards to 4:2:2 support, has anyone pulled to cover and looked closely at the mainboard to see if has the appropriate chip for 4:2:2 support? Somewhere I recall reading there is a particular Sigma chip (8634?) which is commonly used although I don't claim to be a chipset expert. Just wondering if 4:2:2 is something even possible and having the appropriate hardware support might give some indication.

Sadoun, can you get any sort of information as to whether they believe 4:2:2 support is possible/planned, etc?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts