Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Isn't it ok to be in business in this country and make a profit? Hats off to Sadoun for all the time, effort and support in making this product available! Blind

.................. With 14 wind chill temperature outside, this is not the time for me to be out fine tuning the dish.

I thought all you snowbirds were tough! :p

Send it to me. It's been sunny and 70° all week here in the heart of Texas..............:cool:

EDIT -
WAIT-A-DANG-MINUTE..........where's the motorized 6 ft Prodelin Ku for the bench.............
I can see we are going to have to have a lil' chat on subject of techbench resources. :)
No wonder your shop techs have nothing better to do than compile FLASHCRAP videos. ;)

Last edited:
ok, we spend one hour to aimed at the NSS 11 satellite now,maybe the signal not good for me. but don`t affect me to test .

Ok, I did BLIND scan on 125W and got all transponders except the DVB-S2. I entered those manually, but the signal and quality were low. The receiver did not lock on them.

I will try again with the bigger dish. I think the 90cm dish I am using for this test is slightly out of alignment.

Jamal

To keep your brand name UP, it might make sense to test this STB performance in average user conditions, like 90cm under picked average quality brand "middle age" dish with the rest of setup being typical lower cost self-install. Of course, you can try with a 10-footer instead, but what good will it be later on, when you order a container of those?

I still suggest to obtain specs on the proc, tuner, demod and memory. We don't know anything now about their performance specs apart from incomplete model numbers. It would tell more about this STB real upgradeability and advanced functions & codecs support like 4:2:2. Just my 5 cents. ;)

Sounds like a big disappointment to me so far on a DVB-S2 blindscan.

My experience picking up the DVB-S2 stuff on AMC21 , from Michigan, on a 90cm dish, has been a question of precise aim, or the signal is not there. I bump the dish one hit either direction and the Q goes to zero. My 1M dish and 1.2M dish do much better.
I don't think we can write off the receiver yet , dvb-S2 can be pretty finicky .
:)

Sounds like a big disappointment to me so far on a DVB-S2 blindscan.

Possibly digi, but the difinative test would be to put it up against another STB of similar advertized specs and do a side by side. Everything I've read on S2 says it's a bitch to lock and keep on a good day without a good and sizable collection system.

Perhaps many of the S2 developers avoid S2 a blindscan feature because scanning is even more difficult to detect and lock a signal that pointing at something you know is there and still having issues.

It would seem that if one needs a 10ft dish (approaching 12ft that's generally accepted as the largest for home TVRO) for reliable capture of C band S2, why would we expect reliable performance on a dish much smaller than 4ft on Ku, where 1m should become the minimum and anything less unusable for reliable S2?
Relatively speaking, the "larger than normal" specification for S2 should apply to both bands, right?

EDIT -
Yeah, what he said.....lol.
I got to learn how to type faster. (Actually slower with fewer mistakes would probably be even better!)

I am interested in the tuner, So would this pick up Louisiana Public Broadcasting on 125W ? Lyngsat says these are DVB S2 8 psk.

DVB S2 is the same as DVB S2 8psk ? Or is that 4:2:2 ? or is it all the same? Mpeg 4 is DVBS2?
and the 8 psk makes it 4:2:2 ? Please clarify...

Thanks!

Mel

You may be right, but it may be hard to explain to someone who is currently getting S2 with a PC Card or older STB that a whole system upgrade would be required to lock S2 with SatHawk. ;) I agree, its too early though to draw any conclusions. Hold on your breath for coming later early tester reports.

Bill_KU

There are separate threads on this forum adressing in detail terms you mentioned, and a few more, and how they all work together. Just search a bit the terms here. :)

There is not much S2 I can lock onto even with my AZbox and a 8 foot dish.

I wish there was a SatelliteGuys member who lived close to me who could check out my setup and see if they can figure out whats wrong.

I think I should be getting some of the S2... I would LOVE to get NBC. :)

Yeah, that's why I said it sounds like a disappointment so far. I can't wait for someone that is currently watching S2 right now on their system to receive their box. We are all waiting for that holy grail of the receiver ;) DVB-S2 blind scan with MPEG4 HD 4:2:2. One day....

I think the issue is no one has made a S2 tuner with Blindscan, and the costs of making one for a few hundred dedicate hobbiest like us.

Commercial S2 receivers dont need blind scan because they know what to tune to.

Its a catch 22.

Yeah, that's why I said it sounds like a disappointment so far. I can't wait for someone that is currently watching S2 right now on their system to receive their box. We are all waiting for that holy grail of the receiver ;) DVB-S2 blind scan with MPEG4 HD 4:2:2. One day....

Digi ,
You forgot to mention Dolby E ! :) That's on my list , too. [edit] But as you've noticed, I'm sure, we're slowly moving forward .

My experience picking up the DVB-S2 stuff on AMC21 , from Michigan, on a 90cm dish, has been a question of precise aim, or the signal is not there. I bump the dish one hit either direction and the Q goes to zero. My 1M dish and 1.2M dish do much better.
I don't think we can write off the receiver yet , dvb-S2 can be pretty finicky .
:)

Good point, that's a tricky one to get for me to get here also, brent. I can get it on my 3ABN but not my Fortec, both are .9m.

DVB-S2 Blind Scan results :)

It works!
Buy!
Buy
Buy!

Oh yeah, an ESPN Basketball feed look beautiful too!
No 4:2:2

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)