Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
yep if this works as advertised I might have to retire the Coolsat 5000 in the main room as my scanning receiver ;)

Sathawk
AZbox
analog receiver for those analog feeds

Hi Iceberg,
Before you retire Coolsat, please compare scanning on them ( Coolsat and PVR800) and post it here. I'm interested in time to do a full scann, sensitivity etc..
Thanks

I know ;)

There's a reason the Coolsat has been the "main" receiver for me for the last 4+ years....its hard to find a receiver that can stand up to the Coolsat in blind scan time

That sure would be nice if 4:2:2 were a software function that could later be updated on the SatHawk.

That sure would be nice if 4:2:2 were a software function that could later be updated on the SatHawk.

Which brings up the question, Why can't it? The box runs Linux, a flexible operating system. ALL pci cards can do 4:2:2 with the proper codec installed(software). Why can't the proper codec be installed on this box? It's just a computer with a dvb pci card integrated right?

- suggestion:

Yea, I'm doubtful that'll happen. (only a guess)

However, what about recording 4:2:2 onto the hard drive?
Even if the receiver could not play back the show, it might be possible to transfer the video to your computer and play it there.

However, what about recording 4:2:2 onto the hard drive?
Even if the receiver could not play back the show, it might be possible to transfer the video to your computer and play it there.
:up
That is a good suggestion, if you could save the transport stream to the hard drive then you could watch recordings on the computer and even go back and look at it with TSReader to find out more information about the stream.

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't record a 4:2:2 transport stream, since even the standard definition, non-4:2:2 Visionsat can do that. Again, I'd like to see it demonstrated to be on the safe side. I'd also like to see what it does while recording a high bitrate (~35-40 megabit) feed... Is there any stutter? Will it play back at the correct frame rate, etc.? If it handles high bitrates without problems, that is definitely something it has in its favor vs. the Azbox.

So Far, an hour is not enough time.....
Update Firmware before using. I can't stress that enough. Firm is posted here somewhere :)

Pros:
Fast Blind Scan - DVB & DVB-S2
No need for DVB-S2 FEC and Pilot, just need Freq - Polarity - Scan Rate
Easy to use, especially since there is no Manual
Menu Layout
Plays ESPN Feed perfectly
Fast Boot compared to AZBox
Runs cool

Cons:
No Channel Editor
No Manual
Channels deleted after Firmware Update
No indication of DVB-S or DVB-S2
No 4:2:2 support
If unit is set to 1080i, the Menus do not work via the SD Video output (yellow cable)

Needs more investigation:
ABC HD Network feed did not look well, stutter / flicker.
NBC HD feeds, need to test
PVR features
Did not see a Channel Backup / Restore via USB
Motor Control - Sadoun said the USALS seemed to work fine

Other info:
Unit will format either FAT32 or NTFS
Has 2 recording formats, TS and sadly don't remember the other

Last edited:
That is exactly the kind of feedback they will need to catch all the little things that got overlooked in the original design. Pretty good and balanced list for just an hour there Lak.

If they dont intend to develop a channel editor for it in house it might be prudent to drop C# a line and advise him of a new box to support, but like you pointed out, the FW will need to support importing and exporting the channel database. C# will also need the details on the channel db format to integrate it into his proggy.

Besides 4:2:2 stream capture, and SR limit issues, I'm curious if the PVR functions currently support timeshifting, or is it essentially WYSIWYG during record mode. Possibly another oversight, but definately addressable in a FW update.

Field trials and response to bug fixes are the make it or break it test for any product. Now is when we find out what kind of metal the support team/developers are made of.
I have my fingers crossed.

Besides 4:2:2 stream capture, and SR limit issues, I'm curious if the PVR functions currently support timeshifting,
I did not test 4:2:2 recording
I could not lock anything below Scan Rate 2000, but didn't try real hard
Highest SR locked was 33,000 - no channels, maybe a Data TP, 72 West I think
Time Shift did seem to work, limited testing though

Which brings up the question, Why can't it? The box runs Linux, a flexible operating system. ALL pci cards can do 4:2:2 with the proper codec installed(software). Why can't the proper codec be installed on this box? It's just a computer with a dvb pci card integrated right?

The reason is processing power. On a computer you need 3Ghz+ P4HT (or equivalent) processor to properly play a 4:2:2 HD feed using a software codec. My guess is the processor is not quite powerful enough for that! If it is a hardware based, then processing power is a non issue as the chip would have the functionality built in.

Rumor has it, the company I work for is going to be giving out a nice size bonus check this Friday. If this happens I plan on purchasing one of these receivers from Sadoun and joining in on the fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)