Revised Poll: Voom is gone - What Now?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Revised Poll: Voom is gone - What Now?

• Happy - I didn't like Voom

Votes: 26 6.0%
  • No Biggie - I wasn't into Voom

Votes: 117 27.0%
  • Disappointed but staying with Dish

Votes: 177 40.9%
  • Not Happy - Leaving at contract end

Votes: 34 7.9%
  • Not Happy - If D* picks up Voom, I'm gone

Votes: 79 18.2%

• Total voters
I'll miss Rave but not that much, I used to watch a concert here and there maybe once a week

Now, bring on ESPN on mpeg4! :D

This poll pretty much matches the last one exactly. It looks like 92% of the people aren't going anywhere in the immediate future. Now even IF D* were to pick up the VOOM channels (which I'm not sure is very likely at all) you're still talking 75% staying put.

It doesn't make E*'s decision seem that faulty, especially in light of the fact that they've lit up 20+ channels that have "brand recognition" to entice new customers.

This poll pretty much matches the last one exactly. It looks like 92% of the people aren't going anywhere in the immediate future. Now even IF D* were to pick up the VOOM channels (which I'm not sure is very likely at all) you're still talking 75% staying put.

It doesn't make E*'s decision seem that faulty, especially in light of the fact that they've lit up 20+ channels that have "brand recognition" to entice new customers.
And that was my vote, staying to see what happens next. Now my lighter fluid can is empty so I guess I'll go back to trying to be helpful...

:)

Hmmm ... I'm seeing poll results that indicate over 60% of the respondents are unhappy with E*'s actions.

That's usually not a desired outcome from an action.

But it's not the unhappy people E* cares about. It's the fact that even though some are unhappy, the overwhelming majority is planning on staying with E*. That's, ultimately what they care about.

ETA - I've seen the same thing with XM & Sirius subscribers. Both companies piss off their customers to no end. I've never met an SatRad customer who is happy with their radio company, but they still subscribe and new people continue to subscribe.

Ultimately you do care if people are happy. Long term customer retention and growth is based upon customer satisfaction. That is more important than how one week goes.

This is especially a concern when E*'s customer growth showed a dramatic slowing in the most recent quarter.

I'm not saying that dropping VOOM was a huge mistake. I understand the need to use resource wisely and satellite bandwidth is a scarce and valuable resource. But certainly E*'s handling of this situation was not anything that I would ever want to model my organization's behavior after.

Interesting how this question is asked about Voom but not all the other non-Voom channels doing the exact same thing only with upconverted programming interrupted by ads every 7 minutes.

Who wants to watch Flipper? How about the stuff on Chiller? It isn't even HD.

It will be interesting to see the complaint levels in a month or two after everyone has forgotten about Voom and have to live with the repetitious, upconverted, ad delivery programming we will be stuck with.

Eventually, most channels will be in HD and like most of the SD channels today, unwatched.

I have DishHD only. I don't watch chiller.. never even heard of it. I don't watch any of the stuff on Voom. I tried, it looked 'clear' but thats about all I can say. I'm sorry, I'd much rather see Biography channel (HD or not) than RAVE... or Discovery HD over HD News. Each channel they add "that I heard of" brings me one step closer to canceling my basic cable. I hope to see them add Comedy Central soon, I really don't care if its HD or not, just get it up there so I can drop cable all together.

I have DishHD only. I don't watch chiller.. never even heard of it. I don't watch any of the stuff on Voom. I tried, it looked 'clear' but thats about all I can say. I'm sorry, I'd much rather see Biography channel (HD or not) than RAVE... or Discovery HD over HD News. Each channel they add "that I heard of" brings me one step closer to canceling my basic cable. I hope to see them add Comedy Central soon, I really don't care if its HD or not, just get it up there so I can drop cable all together.

You do know that eventually they'll drop the HD only package? They've done it before, of course I won't care it won't effect me ;)

NightRyder

Why all this anger towards the so called Voom haters. Is anything about TV really worth hating?

Voom was useless in our household (we had it off the guide anyway) and I could care less if it stays or goes...but offer me a trade for all the Voom channels for 4-5 popular channels (Disney, Travel, etc) and I would take it in a second.

Dish KNOWS what we watch and they act according to what will benefit their bottom line and ultimately the stockholders.

As horrible as you may think it is, they made a smart decision.

Why all this anger towards the so called Voom haters. Is anything about TV really worth hating?

Voom was useless in our household (we had it off the guide anyway) and I could care less if it stays or goes...but offer me a trade for all the Voom channels for 4-5 popular channels (Disney, Travel, etc) and I would take it in a second.

Dish KNOWS what we watch and they act according to what will benefit their bottom line and ultimately the stockholders.

As horrible as you may think it is, they made a smart decision.

Why pay for something an not even have it on the guide. Sounds like bs!

Voom served it's purpose back in the early days of Hd but they became nothing but hd filler channels. They looked nice but the content was redundant reruns. IF they had tried to make some new origional programming or add more older programming that was new to the channels , it would of been good. They chose to do nothing and stayed in the same holding pattern as 3 years ago when they first came to DISH.

IT is time to move on now and add channels that actually will be watched by the mass viewers. DISH's future depends on this now. IT is no longer about adding niche programming that would appeal to the few , it is about getting the most bang for thier bucks. If DISH doesn't compete with DIRECTV now there won't be any future. DO ya'll really think that they can continue to lose subs at such a terrific rate? VOOM had promise but never delivered. IT is time to say goodbye to them and move on with the future.

Hopefully the 9 months of delays in adding hd channels hasn't done DISH in yet. But they had better get some powerful advertising up and running to compete with DIRECTV . THey do have better dvrs than Directv but they don't have all the programming that they do in hd yet. Hopefully next year with the launch of eastern arc this year and the eventual launch of the western arc -129 Ceil sat , they will be back on track to regain their hd leader status.

It just goes to show you that when you are on top , like DISH was for 3 years with the most hd, that you can not afford to sit on your laurels(ass) and do nothing. DISH has the most bandwith available to them with all their varied satellite slots. They should of never , never used so many of them for international channels. IT was a stupid waste of space and it took longer than needed to clear off the sats for other uses. Look at 148 sat doing little to nothing. Look at the 105 and 121 sats that could of been used and doing nothing. THEn look at the fact that they are leasing space on sats like the 129 sat, the 105 sat etc. DISH doesn't seem to make the best use out of their available bandwith.

Splitting the company into two seperate companies has seemed to hurt DISH more than it did Echostar. I hope with the launch of the eastern arc and next year the western arc in total mpeg 4 , they will then have the room to add all the hd channels that are out there. I do not want to watch sd channels anylonger than I have to. I am sure I am not alone in this belief. I only hope that DISH will soon in the next couple of weeks add all the other channels in hd that they are missing on their list and the Fox family of channels too.

Well Smith if DISH had kept VOOM but not added any more national hd channels to compete with DIRECTV there might not of been a DISH much longer and you would of still lost VOOM. So look at it this way. IT was either DISH's future or VOOM's future. It was no longer viable to keep both of them. IF AMC 14 had worked out it might not have ended this way. IF Voom itself had kept of their part of the contract and spent the money on programming , it might not have ended the way it did. IT is sad but it ended and it is now time to move on. VOOM's time is past now. Hopefully DISH won't follow behind in their footsteps, because of the 9 month delay in adding more national hd channels that the masses want.

Personally I would rather have DISH than VOOM.

Im dissapointed, I signed up for DishHD a few days ago, and though getting Voom wasnt my only reason why, I was looking forward to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)