GEOSATpro Revisiting my 8x1 diseqc delay

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
I have been using a 8x1 Digiwave diseqc switch for some time now with my micro and questioned the compatibility in the past. I have been living with the sporadic delay when switching satellites and have a made a technical observation.

When waiting for the change, if I press the info button, why is the FEC at 1/4? Isn't this saved as part of the information with each channel? Does the receiver relearn or search for some parameter while I wait for sometimes 60 seconds. Sometimes the video appears for a couple of seconds then goes to the no signal screen.

If I decide not to wait and toggle between a couple of satellites I will get the change without waiting as long but requires additional annoying steps. All of this is with a strong signal.

The 8x1 is close to the receiver in the house and some others cascaded outside. I swapped around cables looking for a pattern and it occurs even on those on a direct port without others in line. The cable runs are pretty long but I don't have another brand 8x1 to compare. If I test with a 4x1 on just some dishes there is no issue.

I'm thinking of picking up a different brand of switch for comparison.

If the FEC is in auto mode (TP parameters not manually set with channel editor software), the receiver updates each time a channel is tuned. The channel information screen will display the default FEC of 1/4 if no valid signal is present.

If a switch path is not established, no signal will be present to display FEC.

DiSEqC control can be problematic on long cable runs, cascaded switches, corroded connectors, degraded or defective coax, etc.

Upon loss of signal the microHD reissues the programmed commands to attempt to establish reception. This could be why you see momentary programming as the command is reissued, but the switch position does not hold.

Last edited:
i have a massive switch setup,including multiswitches i dont see any bad delays. The slight delay is there, but it doesnt seem bad to me.
only dif is i use all stacked LNB's

I found the issue, it was the switch itself. I purchased a DMSI brand 8x1 switch and it works fine.

I found in the past that my Diamond 9000HD STB was finicky with several of the 4x1 multiswitches I had in my inventory. It worked best with the Pansat branded units, others required the same repeated satellite change or reboot to get to function upon occasion.