Revolution

I was excited about this show as I read a lot of post apocalyptic stuff. I'm just not so sure about this show after watching the premier.

How can a device like that just shut off all electrical devices? An EMP would do that but that works by frying all electrical circuits not protected by a Faraday cage. How can that device just turn stuff back on? The cars on the road is what baffles me. How can that device shut those off??

Okay, here is my critique of the show. So in 15 years the entire country is now turned to farming to survive. The cities are flooded and or covered in vines. The governments fell and now the country is run by militia Republics . Supposedly a lot of starving went on and there are less people. BUT the people still have access to razor blades to shave and their hair cuts are still fresh and clipper cut and the fashions are still there for the women. That's right you can still find the latest tops and leather jackets with matching boots. And a trip from the country to the city of Chicago on Foot was accomplished in less than a day .

The ending had me thinking of Jericho. The black woman that had access to what, a computer and a light bulb that works in a secret room in her attic. Reminded me of the Black FBI agent who could still use satellite internet and a lap top to communicate with some secret person in his basement. This is definitely a take off of both Jericho and Hunger Games both.

The entire premise kind of insults your intelligence and you would have to suspend disbelief of actual common sense, to get into the story. In real life the country would be covered in dead rotting bodies from all the starvation or they would be used for food through cannibalism. There would be no way they would all survive with no protein and without proper nutrition and yet still have great clear complexions on everyone and full heads of glorious styled hair. Not to mention no medical care or antibiotics to ward off simple viruses or infections. Don't even get me started on the dental issue. Without proper dental care they simple abscess would kill you, and yet everyone had wonderful, bright white, straight teeth. NO I'm sorry 15 years after civilization fell , there would be no way that any of these people would look this great.

Now lets look at the water situation. Here they are going up to rain barrels and drinking the water without problems. And where did the wonderful clean and drinkable waterfalls and streams come from in Illinois? So I guess 15 years after everything falls apart, the ecology just repairs the pollution and all the man made problems and everything is hunky dory. BULLCRAP! And where do they all go to the bathroom? Did you see anyone use an outhouse? Cause I know the sewer system won't work anymore .

I love sci-fi but this is just too stupid to believe & the entire premise is not credible at all. CANCEL this turkey.

Last edited:
You've never seen the mountains of Illinois? :)

Yeah, you do have to suspend belief, but what the hell, it was a good watch. I'll keep it in my timers to give it time to develop.

One little thing I noticed was that the woman gave the lad a puffer for his asthma. How the hell would that be any good after 15 years?

Hey, its tv, not real life. I can deal with some "leaps of faith" when it comes to believing what they are showing.

I thought it looked ok for a first episode, and will watch it. I also doubt that it sticks around, these types of shows rarely do.

Important quote from the first episode. "The laws of physics went insane. The world went insane overnight."

Unless you accept this as gospel, the show makes no sense.

I like it so far.

I watched it and IMHO this won't last long. The premise is beyond plausible, most Science Fiction requires some suspension of disbelief but this is ridiculous. The mystery of who, why and how isn't enough to sustain this mess.

BUT the people still have access to razor blades to shave and their hair cuts are still fresh and clipper cut and the fashions are still there for the women. That's right you can still find the latest tops and leather jackets with matching boots.

I'll cut 'em some slack on this issue...nobody wasn't to see the ladies with hairy legs, hairy armpits and one eye-brow. Sure, we'd all look Amish in 15-years of technology-challenged living, but nobody want's to see that on television.

And a trip from the country to the city of Chicago on Foot was accomplished in less than a day.
Yeah, that was kinda cheesesy! Heck, I thought the first few episodes would focus on their fighting for survival on their long and dangerous journey to the big city. Instead, they diddy-bop down the road, easily dispose of a few slugs/thugs, and appear at Wrigley Field the next day. I don't know much about Chicago, but I guarantee you there would be people keeping-up that place and playing ball during the daylight hours.

The ending had me thinking of Jericho....this is definitely a take off of both Jericho and Hunger Games both.

...don't forget the rip-off beginning from Flashback/Jericho.

And where do they all go to the bathroom? Did you see anyone use an outhouse? Cause I know the sewer system won't work anymore.

I assume they would use solid waste as fertilizer for the crops.

Maybe when everyone died off there was a lot of left over toothpaste and whitening strips... Not to mention a lot of clothes...

I will probably give it one more episode before I archive. If it is cancelled I will simply delete without watching.

This sure is an active thread for a show or questionable quality and longevity. Anyway, good ratings for an NBC premiere:

10 p.m.
NBC: "Revolution" series premiere (11.7 million, 7.1/11)
ABC: "CMA Music Festival (5.96 million, 4.0/6)
CBS: "Hawaii Five-0" rerun (4.4 million, 3.1/5)

I watched it and IMHO this won't last long. The premise is beyond plausible, most Science Fiction requires some suspension of disbelief but this is ridiculous. The mystery of who, why and how isn't enough to sustain this mess.

Exactly my point. You would have to not only suspend disbelief, but accept total nonsense as gospel. I just don't have it in me to sit though another show where the writers insult my intelligence week after week . Cancel this show already and do the world a favor.

I'm sorry but I can't agree with all the complaining going on in this thread. Either you accept the premise of this show and let it do it's thing or you have to also shoot down a ton of different tv show and movie premises as equally ridiculous. Zombies? Ooops, those aren't realistic, better dismiss the walking dead. Faster than light travel, that's hogwash so let's toss out star trek and star wars and everything else that relies on that mode of transportation.

This is post apocalyptic pseudo science fiction, emphasis on the fiction part. The key to a show like this isn't plausibility as judged by comparison to reality, it's whether the writers can use a premise to world build, establish rules and then adhere to them. As long as they aren't constantly and arbitrarily changing the rules, all you have to do is accept the initial premise.

Please note that this does not guarantee good stories will flow from a given premise. That's for the viewers to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'll cut 'em some slack on this issue...nobody wasn't to see the ladies with hairy legs, hairy armpits and one eye-brow. Sure, we'd all look Amish in 15-years of technology-challenged living, but nobody want's to see that on television.

QFT! Although without power and without a choice, one would likely get very nimble with a straight razor..

Yeah, that was kinda cheesesy! Heck, I thought the first few episodes would focus on their fighting for survival on their long and dangerous journey to the big city. Instead, they diddy-bop down the road, easily dispose of a few slugs/thugs, and appear at Wrigley Field the next day. I don't know much about Chicago, but I guarantee you there would be people keeping-up that place and playing ball during the daylight hours.

From what I understand the development they started from was in a Chicago suburb. Not really a stretch to walk that in a day or less.

I assume they would use solid waste as fertilizer for the crops.

You can't use fresh waste from man nor beast as fertilizer. That's how you spread disease. Crap has to be rotted for at least 6 months to a year before it can be used as fertilizer/compost... But it does stand to reason that there could be a rotating compost bed..

I was excited about this show as I read a lot of post apocalyptic stuff. I'm just not so sure about this show after watching the premier.

How can a device like that just shut off all electrical devices? An EMP would do that but that works by frying all electrical circuits not protected by a Faraday cage. How can that device just turn stuff back on? The cars on the road is what baffles me. How can that device shut those off??

This is my biggest point of contention with the show.. Assuming there was some kind of EMP discharge.. Be it manmade, or a cosmic burst, or whatever have you.. That would fry everything electronic yes. It would shut down the power grids because they are all computerized, planes WOULD fall from the sky, and cars WOULD stop dead - since basically all cars made in the past 30 years have SOME level of computer control.. Even a modern carbureted engine has electronic ignition. I'll even grant JJ some creative license to say that batteries are also affected (which they wouldn't be in real life - car headlights would still work, flashlights, etc).. But after the discharge is gone, anything that was not fried because of shielding or being in an underground garage or whatnot will still work. And you can bet your ass that there would not be someone from zero hour + one minute trying to get the power back on. With everything we know now, it would not take 15 years to stick a paddlewheel on an old motor, plop it in a river, and hook a light bulb up to it. I just find it incredibly hard to suspend disbelief to a point that as tech dependent as we are, and given the amount of nerd brainpower that is available in most middle schools - let alone universities and tech startups, that it would ever get that point.

Now as for this mysterious pendant with the flash drive in it, the attic scene at the end totally blew it for me. That brings it to a level where we should probably expect aliens to land during the next couple episodes. It wasn't even like she plugged the pendant into the computer and it had some stored power, it's got 'magical proximity power'.

So yeah I'll probably give it another episode or two just to see if I'm right, but I don't hold high hopes for it holding my attention past that.

TNGTony said:
Am I the only one that actually liked the show? (so far...)

You are not alone, I did like it. Just thought as a premier it could have been longer. That being said I have questions that I feel need answers. I get that it's a show so I of course people need to be pretty, I could care less about that stuff. My issue is why I am supposed to believe that everyone gave up their guns. I understand ther militia made it a hangable offense, but come on. And why does everyone that does have a gun have a mussleloader? I was ok with the idea that modern guns don't work either, until the one guy pulls out a semi automatic handgun and it works just fine.

Anyway,i will continue to watch as I like these kinds of shows, just worried it will be pulled quickly given big networks track record.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

My biggest gripe was the way they did the massacre. I mean, here's the main bad guy just standing there watching the rest of them fight. Nobody thought to put a bullet in his head? If ever put in a similar situation that's where I would be aiming.

I typically love shows like this but,this one just doesn't capture my imagination.It's definitely not Jericho.Loved Giancarlo Espisito in Breaking Bad and he makes a great villain but,he just doesn't seem to fit the southern militia type.I am guessing this will end up like The Event.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)