Rex Ryan's phone call

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Sandra, do you think Ryan is a step up or step down from Mangini?

Time will tell, impossible to answer that now. Let's not forget Mangini was hailed as the Mangenious when he took the Jets into the playoffs in his first season here. Two years later he leaves town villified as a terrible coach who did not come close to getting the best out of his players. He's only one notch above Rich Kotite on ths list of Jet coaches..and Kotite was brutal.

I don't know how Ryan's rah-rah attitude will last over the long haul, however. It's great to get the team up for a home game against New England, but it's only week two. Win or lose, there will be a week three, a week four, etc. Not sure how far emotion can carry you in the NFL.

I do think his pumping up of the Jet crowd is silly...the Jet crowd is always pumped up, and would be even moreso because it's New England. I suppose Ryan hasn't been in the stadium long enough to realize that.

After one game he gets a 'thumbs up' from me, but it's only one game. As I said, time will tell.

And I really think he should lose some weight for his own good...

Sandra

Last edited:
Speaking of Mangini, I think he will be a better coach with the Browns. Historically speaking, Head Coaches are better in their second gig. (cough, Belichick, cough). 1st time head coaches learn, just like rookie players. The more tenure they have in the league, the more they grow and learn from the game. I expect Mangini to be better off with the Browns from his experiences with the Jets.

Speaking of Mangini, I think he will be a better coach with the Browns. Historically speaking, Head Coaches are better in their second gig. (cough, Belichick, cough). 1st time head coaches learn, just like rookie players. The more tenure they have in the league, the more they grow and learn from the game. I expect Mangini to be better off with the Browns from his experiences with the Jets.

It's certainly possible, but I'm sure you can also come up with examples of coaches who were not better in their second gig. Rich Kotite for one!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

And there are others. It's not just about the second gig, it depends on the coach, what he learned, how he adapts, etc.

Don't forget, Belicheat was actually coach of the Jets for a few hours when Parcells left, so technically New England is his third gig...:rolleyes:

Sandra

Wow, the Jets really got your goat, huh? As you said, they're a meaningless franchise compared to all that your boys have accomplished up there. The Jets care so much about the Patriots because they're the team to beat when they have Brady.

But to the Patriots, the Jets are just another team. Interesting that such a meaningless team can provoke such animosity...not to mention cute little signs. ;)

Better be careful when talking about team popularity though. Only one of these two teams had a ton of home games blacked out not that long ago, the smallest crowds in the NFL, and almost moved to Hartford...and it's not the Jets. The Patriots are popular now when they're winning, but the Jets have always sold out...even when they are bad.

Gotta wonder what will happen up there when this cycle runs out, the Patriots stop winning Super Bowls, and people start caring more about the Bruins again. ;)

Oh, and I fixed the name up in your post. :p

Sandra

It's funny that you rail against the Islanders and yet you root for the Jets who are the Islanders of the NFL.

You say the Jets are sold out every game, if they say so, I've been to many a half empty Pats/Jets game at GIANTS stadium.

I understand 1969 was a long time ago, so I understand your bitterness with the Beli-cheat crap, maybe you should realize that if not for the commish being an ex-Jet employee, that the Jets would be out a first round pick for cheating with the injury report last year.

I wonder what good names we can come up with for Biff Tannenaum and the whole bastard franchise.

BANDWAGON NATION HAS SPOKEN!!!

It's funny that you rail against the Islanders and yet you root for the Jets who are the Islanders of the NFL.

Not really...the Jets have fans, the Islanders don't. Pretty much the opposite, actually. If you lived here, you would know that. :rolleyes:

You say the Jets are sold out every game, if they say so, I've been to many a half empty Pats/Jets game at GIANTS stadium.

I didn't know you were a fixture at Giants Stadium. Like so many, you must have saved a lot of money NOT going to all those Patriot games back when they weren't Super Bowl contenders...

No Jet home games were blacked out...can't say that about the Patriots!

I understand 1969 was a long time ago...

What on earth does 1969 have to do with Belicheat cheating? ;)

Sandra

Last edited:
mangini1.jpg

Eric Mangini wasn't a bad coach at all. Favre screwed him last year.
Check out what Bart Scott said:
If Woody Johnson decides to sell the Jets in the near future, we have a suggested buyer.

Vince McMahon.

The Week Two game between the Patriots and the Jets continues to assume a Sunday Afternoon Raw feel. And the latest guy to start talking is, to little surprise, linebacker Bart Scott.

Regarding the potential venom that safety Kerry Rhodes has invited via his comments regarding the team's plan to try to "embarrass" the Patriots, Scott offered up this gem to ESPN's Rachel Nichols: "If Kerry needs someone to back him up, I'll be right there to throw the first punch."

Why do we have a feeling that last week's staggering fine total could be surpassed on Sunday -- in this game alone?
Bart Scott is ready to punch a Patriot | ProFootballTalk.com

Ryan gives credit to the Jets' most famous fan:

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4503739"]New York Jets coach Rex Ryan gives Fireman Ed game ball from win over New England Patriots - ESPN[/ame]

I'm not drinking the Ryan kool-aid yet, he's won two games as a head coach and already he's answering every media question with the bravado of Vince Lombardi on steroids. Calm down Rex, the wise-*** remarks are going to get old quickly when you lose a game. And you will lose a game.

That said, giving the game ball to Fireman Ed is an absolutely wonderful gesture. I love it...Fireman Ed represents the hard working guy in the stands, and Fireman Ed in particular has been a fixture at Jet games, win or lose, for a long time.

I will also say when Ryan does something nice, and this was very nice. :up

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts