RF Antenna for R-15 DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lurch555

Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
I have a question I hope someone out there can answer. Directv gives me a different answer every time I call. I have a R-15 DVR that has plug for an RF antenna. I purchased an RF remote that was supposed to have the antenna. Now I am being told they don't carry the antenna. I am also being told the unit will not support an RF antenna until software modifications are done. Anyone know what is real?

Thanks,
Ron

Check the packing box carefully - my R15-500 came with the RF antenna.

I've also purchased from DIRECTV, for $25, the RC32RF remote. It's a great remote as an IR remote, but additionally, is also an RF remote.

Now, like everyone else, I'm waiting for the software upgrade that will turn on the RF capability of the R-15.

To save some other confusion: the HR20 supports RF as well as IR, but does not require an external RF antenna.

Thanks for the confirmation. Two people from Directv told me it was a software issue and two people, one was an operations supervisor, told me it was not. One of them sold me the RF remote with no antenna. I have looked very closely in my box and there is not antenna. Any idea where you can purchase one. I was told by Directv that it could be purchased from Radio Shack, Best Buy or Circuit City. None of them have it, nor is it on their website. They all try to peddle their RF extender.

Thanks again for the help.

You can buy an antenna on eBay for <$10. The Dish Network antennas work for DirecTV receivers. Otherwise, you could try making your own out of a piece of RG58 or RG6 coax. Just cut a 6-8" length and strip it down to the copper wire. I'm not an antenna engineer, so do that at your own risk. I know that standard rabbit ears can fry the UHF circuit on your receiver.

You can also buy the RF remote antenna at one of the online satellite equipment sellers. I found it few months ago. Unfortunately, they will gouge you $19.95 for just the antenna.

dont waste your money that software upgrade is never gonna happen. I have had two philips tivos for two years now both have plugs for RF antenna so what i never been able to use it

dont waste your money that software upgrade is never gonna happen. I have had two philips tivos for two years now both have plugs for RF antenna so what i never been able to use it
Where is the RF antenna connector located?

Check the back panel of your receiver. It will be labeled. Physically, it looks like a regular male coax connector.

Check the back panel of your receiver. It will be labeled. Physically, it looks like a regular male coax connector.
I had one go bad on my H-10 a few months back, I had a different type on an old Sony HD-100 , used it and it works great .

Jimbo

ok, i figured it out. i checked it to make sure it works and it does

you need an RC24 Remote control and an antenna

press mute and select then

press 961

press channel up

press the last 6 digits of the reciever ID

press select

it works just like the HD does...

ok, i figured it out. i checked it to make sure it works and it does

you need an RC24 Remote control and an antenna

press mute and select then

press 961

press channel up

press the last 6 digits of the reciever ID

press select

it works just like the HD does...

Yes, it does work with R15, just tried it myself.

I just switched over to DirecTV from Dish. I still have my Dish DVR with RF remote.

From what I've just read, the RF antenna will work with my R15 DirecTV DVR, right?

Now I just have to find the right remote. I have an RC1704703/00 remote.

I just switched over to DirecTV from Dish. I still have my Dish DVR with RF remote.

From what I've just read, the RF antenna will work with my R15 DirecTV DVR, right?

Now I just have to find the right remote. I have an RC1704703/00 remote.

The only RF remotes are, rc24, rc34, rc32rf, and urc2082.

If you have white remote and aren't sure its rf, look on the back for the FCC sticker, all RF remotes have to have one.

Just wanted to document for the future searchers, that the only RF remote offered currently on DirecTV site (its a RC32RF ,with larger buttons), works with R15-500 out of the box.

I used the RF remote antenna from a retired Dish box. Install anntenna into proper place. Then just follow the enclosed manual. First, set the remote up for R15 (code 000001). Then, enable RF.
I deviated from the instructions, entering only the last 6 digits of my RID (found next to the reset button in the smart-card compartment). It worked anyway.

Somewhere on DirectTV own forums was mentioned that only R15-500 supports RF remotes. I believe someone had success with R15-300, but I'm not sure. I recall R15-100 was the problem.

HTH

Last edited:
I upgraded my DirecTV to DVR in April. I'd been sucessfully using a Jensen remote RF (hope that's the right term) to change channels on 2 other TVs that were connected to the satellite box/tv....3 tvs on one satellite box. Shortly after the DVR box was installed, the remote RF stopped working (so did the caller ID). Tech support said the R-15 didn't support RF. "well, it's BEEN working". No one could address that fact. Looked here for help. I'd either already tried some of the suggestions or they were over my head. I dropped it and just had DirecTV out yesterday to fix the caller ID issue. They gave me another box. Not only did it fix the caller id issue, it fixed the remote RF issue AND the box is much more responsive. The other box was pretty sluggish :(
SHOULD have ended with a SMILE since all is working now :)
Monica.

Status
Please reply by conversation.