RF Transmitters/Receivers for TV's

Uncommonsensesc

Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Upstate South Carolina
We currently have 4 tv's (1 in the living room, 1 in the bedroom, 1 in the kitchen and 1 in my hobby room/office) with DTV in the living room and bedroom. I attached an RF Link transmitter to the tv/dvr in the bedroom so I can watch tv in the kitchen or hobby room. I'm now wanting to reconfigure the arrangement. I want to "link" the living room dvr to the bedroom tv with a RF transmitter/receiver. I want to move the bedroom dvr to the hobby room/office and "link" that one to the kitchen tv with a RF transmitter/receiver. What I would wind up with is the living room/bedroom tv's "linked" then the office/kitchen tv's "linked" both via 2 RF transmitter/receiver systems. My question is - if I use 2 different brands of rf transmitter/receiver, will they work and not interfere with each other. Currently I have an RF Link 5.8 GHz transmitter and receiver. If I purchase a different brand (maybe Terk or Nyrius or IOGear or...), will they work independently of each other? I really don't want to pull wire through a 2-story house!

I think I'd stay with one brand that has switchable channels! At least you'd KNOW you're using separate "chunks" of the 2.4 or 5.8 bandwidth. And, I'd go with 5.8 if you can, just in case you have wireless internet. Many times the 2.4 gig units receive "interference" from wireless internet systems. (in my case when I tried it, every time the mail hit the 18 accounts to check, there was static in my picture.) Be sure to read any available reviews of the equipment, too....ranges are often WELL over-rated, but a good system can get through walls without problems!

Would each system interfere with each other? One system would be connected to the living room dvr and the other system would be connected to the office dvr. We already have a RF Link 5.8 GHz transmitter/receiver and it works really nice. BUT (always that, isn't there?) I want to make 2 separate systems where each dvr "rules" its own rf receiver (that way I can watch what I want in the kitchen from my hobby room/office dvr). I'm pretty sure if we had 2 RF Link systems, they would interfere with each other - not sure, but it sounds right.

If they have individual channel selection on the equipment, and most do, I don't see how they'd be a problem. Other members here may want to chime in, but...since these channels are digitally selected by DIP switches usually, I can't imagine them causing issue. You could also call or e-mail the manufacturer of any such "channel agile" equipment and ask. I'd think you're not the first to want to do this dual-system setup.

If wifi is not an issue, and you have a 5.8 already, get a 2.4 for the other and you're golden! I've been wanting to change systems to one similar, and many have the "channel selection" option these days. If you're only doing standard video, (sounds that way)...believe it or not, the old radio shack "audio video over phone line" boxes also work nicely, relay IR commands and will deliver good quality STANDARD video, not HD. (I use that in my RV...from satellite receiver to rear bedroom since the RV was wired for phone anyway!)

K I S S

I use cat5 for everything but wireless telephones and wifi data to my smart phone.
3-4 runs from living room to computer/server room.
2 runs from bedroom to computer room.

'Cause even if you don't overload the bandwidth, your neighbor may help. :(

I can pick up a set of the 2.4 GHz's pretty cheap so I'll try that! I'll leave the 5.8 set for the 2 tv's that are on different floors of the house and use the 2.4 set for the 2 tv's that are only a room apart! Yes, we do still have the older SD systems/sets - they won't die so we can buy HD sets but that's okay because the older I get the worse my eyesight gets so HD would probably be a waste! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)