RFD TV (Not a Rumor)

Johnel, thank you.

Minnow- if he hadn't been fighting, our bills would have gone up even more.

Sir, I'm not insinuating that Charlie Ergen is some type of saint, trying to fight for the good of his subscribers. I'm not 19 and an idealist...I'm a 52 year old cynic. The bottom line is his profit margin, and I'm not thick enough to deny that.

However, Mr. Ergen will at least try and haggle with networks, unlike DirecTV, which apparently accepts any and every deal thrown at them by the content providers. That is how it has seemed to me, at least, particuarly since Rupert Murdoch assumed the helm. As a former DirecTV subscriber, I would have been paying roughly $10.00 a month more for Total Choice in March of this year (compared to a little under three years ago), had I given into their latest rounds of price hikes.

DirecTV, at this point, is courting the well heeled consumer who doesn't mind spending a fortune each month for television. Charlie Ergen at least seems to realize that there is some money to be made by offering lower tiered packages at a decent price...and that's why I now have AT100, not Total Choice.

I still stand by my original contention...if anyone has the guts to stand up to overpriced providers like ESPN, it would be Charlie Ergen...regardless of his motives.

Well said.
When someone says his rates did not go down because of the tactics Charlie uses, he/she is not being realistic at all and has no understanding of business. The question is, would your rates have gone up more had he not haggled. What makes you think, when everything else goes up in cost - electric rates, employee rates, etc... that your Dish rates would go down? And just because he haggles doesn't mean the programmers aren't rasing their prices - just sometimes he curbs how much they raise them.

Johnel, thank you.

Minnow- if he hadn't been fighting, our bills would have gone up even more.

That's pure speculation on your part. How much would our rates of increased if Charlie wasn't busy paying big bucks to fend off lawsuits to his lawyers ? How much has Directv subscibers rates gone up as compared to E*'s ? And did Directv subs. have channels pulled from the lineup for weeks on end ?

On RFD's Website they say that Dish will carry them on channel 231, as a stand alone, for $1.99.

If true, this would be another option for those who do not want to buy into a package.

i think more and more channels should be available like that so if someone wanted just one certain channel they can pay a small fee for just that one channel instead of paying a larger fee for a package for other channels they dont want

The outdoor channel was able to be purchased that way and the Encore thematic channels can be purchased for $4.99 so there are still some channels able to be ordered ala carte which is great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)