RG-11 applications

Roadwarrior

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Pacific NW
I just need some info on the different types of cable that can be used in sat installs. In particular, RG-11. What is the difference from RG-6, and what is it generally used for?

You can probably Google for more details, but RG-11 is a more expensive cable usually used when there are long cable runs. The functional difference with RG-11 is it's much lower dB loss per foot. With shorter/normal cable runs, it is overkill, and RG-6 is entirely sufficient. What is a "normal" cable run? Depends, but RG-6 should be good for at least 100ft and some people have used it successfully for much longer lengths.

From what I remember, RG-11 is good for up to 400' with DP or DPP technology.

To the OP, keep in mind that not only is RG-11 a heavier and thicker cable, the costs of the fittings are pretty expensive. Last time I checked, a PPC EX-XL fitting will cost you almost $3/fitting.

It bigger and harder to work with, but it has less loss. As noted, its general use is longer runs, however, if you are dealing with marginal signals (edges of a spotbeam, 148W on the East Coast, the crippled 129W with it fluctuating signal strength etc) every bit of signal helps even on shorter runs. Ditto that for OTA signals that are marginal.

Yes, RG-11 is overkill for most home users. I believe RG-11 is used in a lot in retail installs such as showrooms, sales floors or when Dish used to be in Costco and Sam's Club.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts