Two dishes, one mounting arm-- possible????

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Hi, I am thinking of going Dish Network. Right now I have a D* setup. I am going to get HD, so I will need 2 dishes for Dish Network as I live in the extreme North East.

Question: Can I put both dishes on my directv mounting bracket that is already fixed to my roof? Is there some type of 'kit' I need to buy to do this? Right now, it appears to me that the arm would not be long enough to accomodate both dishes. If there was some way of mounting an extension on it, that could work, but I'm looking for an easy and elegant solution. (stress the easy)

Thanks!!! :up

-Rob

It can be done but it would be a custom made mount expensive welding on site and as Webby said ugly. What is wrong with just mounting a 1000 on the same mast or mounting 2 dishes side by side?

The Dish 1000 won't work in the NorthEast. But I agree that using two mounts is much better than trying to rig up a dual pan setup. It will never look elegant.

And if you stress Easy, then two dish solution is as easy as it gets.

boba said:
It can be done but it would be a custom made mount expensive welding on site and as Webby said ugly. What is wrong with just mounting a 1000 on the same mast or mounting 2 dishes side by side?

I didn't really want to drill 4 more screw holes in my roof. I already stress about potential water damage and am up there every year applying gobs of weather caulking around the footing.

I saw this thing on ebay that looks like it attaches to the back of the primary dish near the mast and curves backwards and out for another dish.

bertbarndoor said:
I didn't really want to drill 4 more screw holes in my roof. I already stress about potential water damage and am up there every year applying gobs of weather caulking around the footing.

I saw this thing on ebay that looks like it attaches to the back of the primary dish near the mast and curves backwards and out for another dish.

Was it something like this:http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=PV-MM3

It might not take the extra Wind Load from another Dish ?

You could try something like this to Mount another Dish:
http://www.rstcenterprises.com/installation_training.phtml

Last edited:
dougruss said:
Was it something like this:http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=PV-MM3

It might not take the extra Wind Load from another Dish ?

You could try something like this to Mount another Dish:
http://www.rstcenterprises.com/installation_training.phtml

Yes, it was exactly that. I was thinking that the second pole could be used for the second dish. I was wondering if the diameter of the pole was correct. I also wondered about the stresses on the main mount.

Finally, that other product you linked in looks great! It think I would definitely consider that instead of drilling through the shingles and then just caulking the hell out of it.

-Rob

While you're deciding on how to mount 2 dishes without multiple mounts....
bertbarndoor said:
Right now, it appears to me that the arm would not be long enough to accomodate both dishes.
Even if you had a long mast, with a Dish 500, the mast generally does not go past or completely through the top end of the bracket, where there is a bolt and nut; and if it did, in most cases it would then hit the cross-over piece of the skew bracket. The top of the dish pan may also be in the way.

However, in the ENE (extreme NE) this may not be an issue with the lower elevation. In which case, you may be able to plant a mast in the ground; and then lower the dish with less elevation onto and down the mast, and then the second one mount on top of the mount.

If the elevation is still to high to make clearance, you can always use a couple of U-Bolts and mount the regular elbow/foot directly to the mast.

Or cut away a piece of the skew bracket, but this will weaken it, and you have a chance of bending it which will throw it out of alignment.

I came across a multi armed dbs style dish mount in the last few months through google, it may be an idea to see what you can find.

I went to a Directv installers house to buy some of his leftover Dish Network dishes that he wanted to clean out of his basement and I noticed three satellite dishes on one mount on his roof. I asked him about that and he told me it was something he invented and he was going to get a patent on it but he would not tell me how he done it when I told him that I would like to do the same.

My major concern with 2 (or more) dishes sharing the same mast is the windload/weight issue. Unless there is a strut mount or tripod going along with these multi-dish setups, I would be worried about the longterm durability.

webbydude said:
My major concern with 2 (or more) dishes sharing the same mast is the windload/weight issue. Unless there is a strut mount or tripod going along with these multi-dish setups, I would be worried about the longterm durability.

That's exactly what I was thinking, if you are worried about the 4 holes in your roof now imagine the load on those 4 holes with 2 dishes, 1 higher than the next.

"Give me a lever big enough and I can move the world"

Archimedes I think:confused:

chadzx11 said:
You really should have 6 bolts in that foot. 2 in the center holes right to the rafter, and 1 in each corner for stability.

I probably do (I over-engineer everything most of the time). It's been a while, so I'm sure I just forgot.

-Rob

I had once put multiple dishes on a mast, but to ensure stability, I used a bracket near the top of the mast that secured it to the (reinforced) facia.

Would the two dishes on the same mast have more windload than a larger dish that would be used to pickup all the locations? It was said when the SuperDishes came out that they have EIGHT times the windload than the regular 18/20 inch dishes (Dish 300/Dish 500). This would mean that two dishes would still be 1/4th the windload as a SuperDish if that is true unless somehow it increases the windload by being higher up on the mast than the other dish.

Damn dude just mount your dish on the overhang! If it leaks.. who cares? The only bad thing is if you really let it go it could cause water damage to the piece of wood or tear a big hole in the overhang.. still an overhang though :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)