RG6 vs RG6U cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have been doing this for awhile and have become convinced that 59 is a bad idea unless there is no other choice. I have been on many trouble calls with dropped transponders and other things that would lead you to think it was a bad lnb or bad connectors. If I change the lnb and see rg-59 I always change the cable. I would say that most of the time it is the perefectly fine looking cable. Having said that, I have been to houses that have been running for years with 59 and never had a problem. It does seem to be mostly with
DP and newer that I see problems (more power?). Just throwing my two cents in. I am very interested in this one as I have been thinking about it for awhile.

I have seen 59 work for long time before I had to go out on a trouble call for it. Heck I have seen copper braid 59 work for almost 3 years before I went out on it. I do not use rg59 on my new installs and if it is already there I tell the customer and try to pull new lines. If it is a service upgrade I tell the customer about it and try to pull new lines. I know some techs who just hop onto it. If I go out to QA it and find 59, automatic fail.

When I was a cable tech 20 years ago I was recalled to a house to trouble shoot a lost signal only at night.
No one was ever home until one day. I had the fellow watch the tv and I went outside and shook the living daylights out of the cable. He shouted that it was doing it.
Further investigation reveled that our test meters were using rg6 cable and the system was rg 59. The larger stinger of the rg 6 had made the female end of the splitter at the window larger and at night when it got cool the contraction of the 59 stinger made for a loose fit. I replaced his drop with rg6 and no more problem.
Wierd things can happen with cable, especially when it is outside to the elements of nature. Dave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)