Ribbon Cable for C Band Dish Expensive?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Guys, I have been reading that the best way to run cabling from a big C Band Dish - for Sensor & 36 volt DC Motor, and LNBF's - is to go with a Ribbon Cable? Is this the way to go, and how much per foot is a reasonable price, as a local dealer is quoting me as high as $1.25 per foot? So for 100 ft it could get a bit pricey.

I've seen it cheaper on E-Bay, but yeah, it is very expensive. There was a guy on E-Bay selling it by the foot, I'm not sure if he still does...

Thanks Tron. I'll check out ebay. Then I guess the only other options to are to run the cables to the Dish individually maybe underground in a small conduit from the backyard to the house? I can get RG 6 quad cable but what kind if cable is required for the Motor, Sensor? Is it 5 conductor cable?

when i found a deal on ebay , i searched & found the cable listed as tvro or 8136 both apply to the ribbon cable. also a web site that has some listed ribbon cable

also you can make your own a cat 5 type cable would work for the corotor ( and sensor) and rat shack should have some 18 awg pair cheap then add coax....

usually a ribbon cable includes 2 coax , one cable of three wrapped 20 awg wires and one cable with 2 wrapped 18 awg wires and three wrapped 22 awg wires and one unwrapped 22 awg wire.

depends on how much you need , i might have a bit extra...

Attachments

• ribbon cable .JPG
    ribbon cable .JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
Thanks Gabshere. What I want to try and do is to use an older Uniden 9900 Receiver its Power Supply thru a Ribbon or other cable to a 12 Foot Dish and Actuator. According to the 10 year old Uniden manual it says to connect: GND, PULSE, +6V, from the Uniden Rx to the Polarization Motor at the Dish location. It also says to connect 36V DC: +, -, B, Sen, Gnd, from the Uniden Power Supply to the Actuator at the Dish. So looks like I need a Ribbon cable with minimum 4 conductors from Uniden Pwr Supply, and minimum 2 connections from Uniden 9900 Sat Rx. Can this cable be buried from backyard to house, or do I need to put it inside a 1 or 1.5 inch conduit from backyard to house? For the approx 100 ft of cable that I will need if I use Ribbon Cable it won't be cheap! Also looks like I will also have to add on Connectors re a Compression Tool at Both ends of the coax.

I also want to try and Slave in my FTA Receiver into this mix, and have had some advice from Tron on that setup. Hoping to get or post a drawing soon of the whole setup.

The compression connectors are the best option for terminating coax. There is a cheap tool available at Lowes (about $15) which does the job quite well. I find that the PPC EX6, Digicon DS6UT and DS6Q connectors work very well for most types of RG-6 coax.

I know this thread has been for a couple of years without any response but for me it was a very good information since I want to make my inexpensive C-Band dish install. I will keep you posted as soon as I complete my project.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

just a thought

sv8000hd Blind scan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)