just a thought

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
bump

this would make thigs easer for alot of users and may be increase the amount of useres trying mini cband
scoott ice how about it

Would be useful for interest and discussion in conical scalars and bigger offset motors...

OTOH, it kind of seems comparable to, "Can I get FTA on an 18" dish?"

let's talk about it:

Well, on that note, I did ask Iceberg for a thread/list/discussion on 18"FTA many years ago.
His posts for geting something on 18" dishes were in various places, and I just ask to have 'em all pulled together.

The idea was to get newbies into FTA, without 'em having to buy big dishes.
Make a list of hot birds you -could- get on little dishes, and once they saw what they were missing, they'd naturally gravitate to bigger dishes to get more.
We're actually having that all come up again, for obvious reasons. :)

And alternately, some DXers would probably like bragging rights on receiving -any- bird on their kitchen skillet.
I think there was a thread a while back about using a CD or DVD as a reflector onto a Ku LNB! - :eek:
Silly crap to be sure, but if it amuses the troops, why not let 'em compete for braggin' rights? - :up

Now, as to the question of new departments, I'd be hesitant to recommend.
HOWEVER, the success of several new departments here in FTA, suggest maybe both ideas are worth considering:
- miniBUDs . . . (48" and under?)
- 18" FTA . . . . (maybe anything under 30"?)

Yes, I really did type that with a straight face! - :up

edit
There is a thread in the FAQ department on what you can get on an 18" dish, but that's circular.

Last edited:
it could also be

dvery useful for signals the we find on our dish
shareing finds and other problems that we have
we could even make it a private forum
like the wut section
i would be willing to help with it
its not like if it doesnt work out the could i know it would be a good resource for me and disco
who have been messing around with a mini for a while now
and getting realy awsome resultseems some of them are rather wierd
some have been found
i know that the interest has been there for years and that there are several of us with th ehe intereset

Yeahhhhhh

I'd be nice for people who want to mess around with that aspect of the hobby, to be able to find all those posts in one place! I can't say I'd want to put a c-band lnb on my primestar, but lots of people can't have a big dish, and want to try.

Be interesting to see list of members MiniBud most watched channels and percentage of reliability.

When KU is rained out I switch over:

Galaxy 3C - Horse and Dog Races. 60%

Galaxy 23/C - Sportsman Channel and Sports Time Ohio. 95%

Galaxy 16/C- ThisTV, CW, NBC, ABC, Fox 95%

Galaxy 16/C- Westerns on WHT in Afternoon 95%

Pas 9/C- NHK English, learning to speak the language. 95%

Intelsat 805/C- SDA programs. 80%

What do you watch on your MiniBud?

Last edited:
why cant we get

i dont see why we cant gt a section for mini c
after all is this not part expermamental ...
mini c may not work for all but i tell ya its sure worth a shot
i yhink it make the hunt even more fun
you never know what your going to get and when it may pop in

this is suppose to be the #1 place for everything sat .... and it grows ev ery day

Could be a maintenance chore for the mods....

Makes sense to me to stick it under the C-Band section. But, people might not notice it there... Or, a separate section might bring attention to the topic...

There's a kind of site design tradeoff.

When there are more catagories, stuff gets more complicated to find...
When there are fewer catagories, the sheer number of posts makes things harder to find...

Is this topic
commented on enough
or
unique enough
to justify it?

(Insert criteria here...)

My additional $0.02...

How about a Dish-Mod section... Multi LNBF dishes, too small dishes, Monster dishes, modifying multiswitches and motors, feed mods, DIY LNBF holders, actuator repairs, DXing...

Ehh, whatever...

how about it boys

scott Ice can we put this to a vote or maybe give this a trial run

i think it may be a good thing

thanks
doc

how a bout it PLEASE

i dont want to seee this get ignored or die
we have had a lot iof views and a few of you hav chimed in
now lets keep this going and may get our own section
thanks doc

Seriously how many times are you going to bump this one? :confused:

I'll give you my take on it. What constitutes a "mini-bud"?
For someone like me who has a 6 footer, a mini bud might be a 4 footer. But for someone who has a 12 foot dish (like tvropro), they may think my 6 footer is a mini bud. So its a judgment call.

Also what happens if you have a question and it crosses multiple things? If you have an issue with a receiver but its attached to a mini bud but you don't know if its the receiver or the LNB/switches etc where do you post it? The main area or the mini bud area? Or if I attach a KU LNB to it and I'm having issues with the arc or my motor goes out. Again where does it get posted? It gets confusing for newbies to search for info and guapoharry mentioned it can be a maintenance chore. Then if I move a thread to one area or another then the OP might PM me with "why did you move it?". I get that when threads get moved from FTA Shack to main area or vise versa.

Right now the categories are pretty self explanatory
-FTA Shack...non technical topics
-PC Cards..questions about PC cards
-C-Band...anything to do with FTA C-Band/analog receivers
-4DTV..4DTV issues
-main area

This was tried in other areas here at satelliteguys where we had oodles of sections for one thing and it bombed because people didnt know where to post the question and newbies feared posting because it might be in the wrong area.

I don't want to drive newbies away because they dont know where to post and I don't want the folks here to have to wonder "now where should I posts this question"?

Seriously how many times are you going to bump this one? :confused:

I'll give you my take on it. What constitutes a "mini-bud"?
For someone like me who has a 6 footer, a mini bud might be a 4 footer. But for someone who has a 12 foot dish (like tvropro), they may think my 6 footer is a mini bud. So its a judgment call.

Also what happens if you have a question and it crosses multiple things? If you have an issue with a receiver but its attached to a mini bud but you don't know if its the receiver or the LNB/switches etc where do you post it? The main area or the mini bud area? Or if I attach a KU LNB to it and I'm having issues with the arc or my motor goes out. Again where does it get posted? It gets confusing for newbies to search for info and guapoharry mentioned it can be a maintenance chore. Then if I move a thread to one area or another then the OP might PM me with "why did you move it?". I get that when threads get moved from FTA Shack to main area or vise versa.

Right now the categories are pretty self explanatory
-FTA Shack...non technical topics
-PC Cards..questions about PC cards
-C-Band...anything to do with FTA C-Band/analog receivers
-4DTV..4DTV issues
-main area

This was tried in other areas here at satelliteguys where we had oodles of sections for one thing and it bombed because people didnt know where to post the question and newbies feared posting because it might be in the wrong area.

I don't want to drive newbies away because they dont know where to post and I don't want the folks here to have to wonder "now where should I posts this question"?

I was actually in favor of the idea of a sub-forum (playing around with one now) until I read Ice's post.

Makes perfect sense to me to keep in the C section, for organizational purposes.

Of course, all bets are off if/whenI run into problems with it ;).

something worthwhile:

TheList was set up for C-band by a member (Qwert1515) with a 1.2m dish, and is so labeled.
Now, it seems the entries show what can be found with a 6' dish (1.8m).
How about a mod to TheList, showing minimum dish size required?
That would be helpful to everyone.
Categories: 4', 6', 8', 10', and 12'
Only one number need be listed beside a transponder: minimum size for solid reception.
So, if XYZ were marked with [6'], then the 4' guys likely wouldn't get it, but those with 8' and above would know it'd be solid.

Also, maybe some of our central or more easterly members with smaller dishes could report on the eastern birds.
At least over to 30° west, or maybe more...?

edit:
Oh, and to satisfy my interest in small dishes for Ku-band, maybe the hotter Ku transponders could be marked with an asterisk or something?
Say, if they were receivable on a 20" dish?

Regarding C-band:
Some of the more popular sats for DVB are
G16 99W..The Networks, World Harvest, analog feeds
G23 121W..Sportsman Network, Sportstime Ohio SD & HD, RFD HD, Euronews
AMC6 72W or AMC7 137W for NASA

thelist above shows what is up there 24/7 and a fresh update was done last week (by me) :) All were received on a 6 foot dish.

anole said:
How about a mod to TheList, showing minimum dish size required?
That would be helpful to everyone.
Categories: 4', 6', 8', 10', and 12'

I can see what your saying but there is a problem. most of the time the central part of the US won't have a problem with the reception but others would have problems .... and listing a minimum dish size would be misleading for someone who is in a fringe area. so a 4 ft dish would have better chance in my area as someone in maine florida or minnisota might have more problems with gaining the signal (and those are just examples) so to say a 4 ft dish can receive the signals might be misleading and we don't want to tell everyone you can get signal ## with a 4 ft dish when he might not be able to ...

i do enjoy the discussion on mini's and would kinda like to see it stay in the c-band section
maybe a better way instead of a whole sub forum is to hi light the threads subject header with MINI or something if your wanting them to stand out plus that would help with the searches

signals vary across the country:

Yes, G is totally correct.

Some birds we don't get so well in the south west.
Some birds we DO get in the south west, and are problems for other parts of the country.

I wasn't suggesting it was an exact science, but when newbies ask "what can I get on a mini-BUD", and are unwilling to use a decent dish, what's the answer?
I give 'em the list Linuxman generated some time back, using his 1.0 meter Primestar.
If that's not discouraging, then then can proceed. - :rolleyes:
But, it's at least something, and something is better than nothing.
And it's a list of strong birds for them to look for at initial install.

Same is true for 20" FTA.
There's Whitesprings, not so much for strong signal as 1/2 FEC.
Having a moderately updated list (within the last year) of those would be useful, too.

Frankly, one sticky thread would suffice for both.
AND, it could be rolled into the existing 18" FTA sticky, that currently is for circular only.
edit:
Oh, and for the mini-budders, just copy Linuxman list from the link above, and label it as 1.0m.
I don't particularly like to encourage mini-BUDding as a way of life, but it's amusing.
And, having solid answers benefits everyone.
Both for the C-banders and the Ku-banders.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)