Ricky Henderson and Jim Rice going to HOF

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof09/news/story?id=3827833"]Rickey Henderson, Jim Rice voted into Baseball Hall of Fame - ESPN[/ame]

In my opinion Jim Rice should have been in there a long time ago.

In my opinion, he shoudn't be there now.

Back in 1980, Jack Craig wrote a tremendous column titled, "Rice has numbers, but there's more to the game" He compared Rice's numbers from his first five years to those of ten post WW2 player who went on to have long, all-star level careers, and only Willie Mays's batting stats could match Rice's, but he pointed out that each and every other person on that list had other favorable qualities while Rice had none. He was the worst baserunner in the group, the worst fielder, a pain in the neck in the clubhouse, and he didn't hit in the clutch.

Much was once made of the fact that Rice once had a stretch in which eleven homers in a row that had either tied the game or put his team ahead, but eight or nine of them were first inning homers with the score 0-0.

Bob Ryan once took two years worth of box scores and started calculating things like Rice's batting average in the last three innings when the outcome of the game was in doubt, and no matter how Ryan defined the parameters, Rice's average was always down around .240 to .260.

Rice had the ability to murder a lousy fastball, but he couldn't hit a good one. Carlton Fisk hit the same against every pitcher, and while I'm no Carl Yasterzenski booster, I remember that well into his career, he had a lifetime average against Nolan Ryan of about .380 with five home runs in about eighty at bats. Whenever Rice went up against a big name pitcher at crunch time, we all knew it was over.

Last edited:
I just think based on statistics Rice should be in because I remember thinking a long time ago when people would debate it, I thought he should've been in.

As far as Henderson, even though he's done some stupid things, playing cards with Bonilla for one, but on longevity and stats he definitely deserves to be in.

Bert Blyleven should be in there too

sure he didnt hit the "magical" 300 wins but good lord look at some of those Pirates/Indians/Twins teams he was on

sure he didnt hit the "magical" 300 wins but good lord look at some of those Pirates/Indians/Twins teams he was on

I agree 100%. I can't believe he's not in. He was an absolute horse.

Not before Jack Morris, the most dominant pitcher of the 80's. BTW, isn't Blyleven just 30-40 games over .500?

I agree.

In the the 80's/early 90's if I need to win a big game, I want Jack Morris on the mound! :up

Morris is the perfect example of stats not meaning everything (that's not to say his stats aren't HOF worthy). Morris just brought an intangible toughness to a pressure game.

Rickey's speech was good. He should have went to English class instead of speech class though.

I agree 100%. I can't believe he's not in. He was an absolute horse.

Actually, Blyleven was on some fairly decent Pirate teams considering the way they are today.

I'm surprised Rice wasn't in the HOF already, and I think Henderson deserves to be there as well.

Anybody ever been to the baseball HOF?

I agree.

In the the 80's/early 90's if I need to win a big game, I want Jack Morris on the mound! :up

Morris is the perfect example of stats not meaning everything (that's not to say his stats aren't HOF worthy). Morris just brought an intangible toughness to a pressure game.

I agree that numbers should not completely define the HOF. I will take it one step further and state it should not define the game as well....but that is for another thread/discussion.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)