ridiculous commercial volume

The problem I see with the device the OP mentioned is:

Supports 2-channel audio from HDMI input to HDMI output ports

It doesn't mention 5.1 audio broadcasts. therefore I assume you lose 5.1 audio if you happen to have such a setup.

Unfortunately your correct.... Isn't designed for an Home Theater setup. I'm now looking at Dolby - Volume Leveling Technology

Looks like I might have to replace my Yamaha RX-V863....

Check your manual

Unfortunately your correct.... Isn't designed for an Home Theater setup. I'm now looking at Dolby - Volume Leveling Technology

Looks like I might have to replace my Yamaha RX-V863....

Go into your Yamaha manual and under Advanced sound configuration and see if you have available "Adaptive dynamic range control". That is Yamaha's volume leveling s/w. If the unit doesn't have that then it doesn't have a volume leveling program. My RX-V1900 has it not sure if yours does or not.

I've noticed that some commercials are much worse than others.
I hate those damn LOLLIPOP LOLLIPOP Dell commercials. Every two minutes!
I couldn't stand that commercial until someone suggested asking what the guy was doing, just before the beginning of the commercial, before popping back up and snapping his overalls on.

The most annoying thing about the loud commercials, aside from the obvious, is that it never seems to be just one commercial. If it was just one spot and the volume returned to normal after I could probably suffer through the 30 seconds or so. But it seems they come in groups Usually once you get one loud commercial all the commercials for the remainder of the break are loud. Very annoying.

The worst...absolute worst loud commercials I found are on FOX.COM streaming shows. I wanted to check out Good Guys, a new show I missed when it was on t.v. so I thought I'd stream it online. When their commercial insert came on it was so loud, I had to turn down the volume on the laptop, and then turn it back up when the show came back.

I haven't noticed an issue with commercials on my 622. Though the TV it is plugged into has something called Auto Volume.. it says it's for changing channels, but maybe it applies to the current channel as well.

I couldn't stand that commercial until someone suggested asking what the guy was doing, just before the beginning of the commercial, before popping back up and snapping his overalls on.

My wife thought the same thing.

Last edited:
Go into your Yamaha manual and under Advanced sound configuration and see if you have available "Adaptive dynamic range control". That is Yamaha's volume leveling s/w. If the unit doesn't have that then it doesn't have a volume leveling program. My RX-V1900 has it not sure if yours does or not.

I found it, it was off by default and I turned it on. I only watched two commercials and I can't tell if it's working or not, the volume stayed steady but I'll know more tomorrow.

THANK YOU! Yamaha is great!

Adaptive DRC as described in the Surround Realism section:

"Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control) is a new volume control technology that is effective for low volume listening, such as at night or with headphones. It applies DRC processing to eliminate the volume differences between loud commercials and ordinary programming and to take into account our ears’ loss of sensitivity as volume decreases. The compensation is performed automatically, so all dialogue is heard clearly even at low levels, and there are no sudden loud bursts of sound."

Last edited:
welcome

I found it, it was off by default and I turned it on. I only watched two commercials and I can't tell if it's working or not, the volume stayed steady but I'll know more tomorrow.

THANK YOU! Yamaha is great!

Adaptive DRC as described in the Surround Realism section:

"Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control) is a new volume control technology that is effective for low volume listening, such as at night or with headphones. It applies DRC processing to eliminate the volume differences between loud commercials and ordinary programming and to take into account our ears’ loss of sensitivity as volume decreases. The compensation is performed automatically, so all dialogue is heard clearly even at low levels, and there are no sudden loud bursts of sound."

U R :welcome I've always liked Yamaha. Soundfields are great and was pretty sure you might have it but it didn't say on the website so didn't know 4 sure. Glad you found it and should help with a lot of the problems. I would say that you probably will want to turn it off in movies w/o the damn commercials.

another example of companies that just don't get it. I'm going to go out of my way to trash and not recommend any company which jacks up the volume on their commercial to above normal levels.

I hate those damn LOLLIPOP LOLLIPOP Dell commercials. Every two minutes!
If I turn my Onkyo reciever down to make the Dell commercial to a reasonable level ( I play bass in a rock band so loud is usually not a problem) when programming resumes I can't even hear it :rant:. Drives me nuts! The worst offenders are the Dish PPV commercials:eek:
Please Dish fix this!

BB 468:angel:

deaf anyway

If I turn my Onkyo reciever down to make the Dell commercial to a reasonable level ( I play bass in a rock band so loud is usually not a problem) when programming resumes I can't even hear it :rant:. Drives me nuts! The worst offenders are the Dish PPV commercials:eek:
Please Dish fix this!

BB 468:angel:

You play bass in a rock band that's your problem your deaf.:D I couldn't let that 1 go by it was just too easy. I was a touring sound eng for a couple of decades. :haha:haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)