Rights to National "local" channels

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Connecticut
Dish and Directv often fight to try to get local channel permissions to transmit. I think most customers don't really care so much about their local content but the national content that is shown on their local stations, such as seinfeld, friends, and many other sitcoms.

Wouldn't it be able for Dish to offer NBC, FOX amongst other channels to EVERYONE but blackout all the local content at the time it's being shown. Ie during sitcoms everyone would be able to them but once your local news is on then the feed would be cut to subscribers who don't meet the requirements. It makes perfect sense for me but I might be overlooking something.

National Feeds

Local affilliates sell advertising, even during network showings. Just as cable, dish, and directv insert their own 'spots' during 'local avails'on USA, NICK, etc., network affiliates get a few shots each hour at running some of their own little money-makers (often seen before "station identification"). The idea of one feed for each network DOES make sense... but it would make no DOLLARS for the stations that broadcast them in each city. (The NAB would spit at us for even discussing such trite)

The local network affiliate stations have contracts with their networks (or are owned outright by the networks) that grant them exclusive rights to broadcast the network programs in a particular locale. If D* or E* delivers the network programs in that broadcaster's area that don't originate from that affiliate then the network (aided by the DBS company) is breaking their contract with the local station.

Local stations perform local ad inserts during the feeds of national programs, local special programs that run instead of network programs, or occasionally local stations may choose not to show a particular network program that they may feel is inappropriate.

As you can see, the logistics of it would make it unworkable.

The local channels also run inserts, bugs, crawls, weather maps, and sometimes even cut into shows and they want their area audience to see it. All these are reasons for the national channels, but unfortunately the stations (who own the broadcast rights in their respective areas) see it otherwise.

See ya
Tony

Perhaps what should happen is for each network that is purchased outside of your DMA, your local DMA network channel should receive compensation to make up for the advertisement. I wouldnt think the average per person would be that much.

For example, you live in a DMA that does not have those locals available on satellite. You want the closest DMA to you to purchase from the satellite company. You pay an x amount for the network that would go towards the DMA you are receiving the channel from and from the network channel in your own DMA. Does not seem fair but its better than having no choice to do this at all whatsoever.

I think you should just be able to subscribe to whatever market's local's you want. Then a portion of those fees would be paid to the local stations in your home market to make up for lost revenue.

Dennis

dbronstein said:
I think you should just be able to subscribe to whatever market's local's you want. Then a portion of those fees would be paid to the local stations in your home market to make up for lost revenue.

Yea, I agree that it should be that simple, but it's not. The locals use the viewership ratings to set advertising rates - if the ratings show less viewers, then the station cannot command as much money for advertising. Would the fees suggested above make up for the lost advertising $$? The stations don't want to risk changing anything as they have a model that is working (well, sort of... at least they are used to it).

There is a 'fear factor' of changing the status quo (hint: think RIAA and music distribution) to anything new. That's the main thing that would have to be overcome. Once the 'old way' is broken though (i.e. someone successfully does it) I think there would be a flood of change!

Example: I'd be willing to bet some (many?) DBS users would be willing to pay $$$ for network 'rerun' channels that would replay the previous network programming 8 or so hours delayed from the original airing. Those with DVR/PVR boxes could snag that special show or event that they missed the first time around (or tuned in halfway on a show to discover they should have recorded it). It is for this reason that many DISHers are hanging on to their locals from the 'other coast' - they get another chance to record or view something.

video62 said:
Yea, I agree that it should be that simple, but it's not. The locals use the viewership ratings to set advertising rates - if the ratings show less viewers, then the station cannot command as much money for advertising. Would the fees suggested above make up for the lost advertising $$? The stations don't want to risk changing anything as they have a model that is working (well, sort of... at least they are used to it).

I don't think the lost viewers would be more than a blip on the ratings. Realistically, what are we talking about, maybe a couple of 10ths of a ratings point? Besides, a lost viewer for one market would be a gained viewer for another. So some stations' ratings would go up. The lost revenue would be minimal.

video62 said:
There is a 'fear factor' of changing the status quo (hint: think RIAA and music distribution) to anything new. That's the main thing that would have to be overcome. Once the 'old way' is broken though (i.e. someone successfully does it) I think there would be a flood of change!

ITA. It's the fear of the unknown. The comparison to the RIAA is very apt. Rather than trying to utilize the technological advances to their benefit, the stations/networks are trying to suppress them. And it's been proven many times, you can't stop the technology.

Dennis

There could be some type of fund kind of like the Universal Connectivity charge that the phone company charges to make sure everyone has phone access or to lower some people's rates as they do, kind of like an adjustment for some markets that are not as well served as the others.

The funds would go towards some of the smaller DMA's that may not be served my satellite for a while so that those people in those markets could still receive their closest DMA.

Stargazer said:
Perhaps what should happen is for each network that is purchased outside of your DMA, your local DMA network channel should receive compensation to make up for the advertisement. I wouldn't think the average per person would be that much.

Heh heh... if your local affiliate is bad enough, perhaps when all their viewers defect they could get paid without broadcasting to anyone. :)

Seriously, paying to be allowed to receive another affiliate's signal (especially in the case of HD availability) is a good idea on the surface, but it would be impossible to implement over time due to the potential erosion of revenue and resultant variation in per-viewer value.

--- WCS

How about have the HDTV feed for all the Major networks avl. to all, but when ever a hidden signal is sent the box switches back to the local station to show the local commercial or local content, when it is done the box switches back to the nation HDTV feed.

This way everyone will get HDTV feeds of the nationals AND get the required Local programming.

ScottChez said:
How about have the HDTV feed for all the Major networks avl. to all, but when ever a hidden signal is sent the box switches back to the local station to show the local commercial or local content, when it is done the box switches back to the nation HDTV feed.

Where does this 'hidden signal' come from? What if the local station wants to interrupt the network programming with a news flash or tornado warning?

There are many good ideas both posted here and in other posts that probably would work if the networks wanted it to work. I don't see any incentive right now for them to change anything. However, viewership is way down this season and if that trend continues, that might provide a starting point for them to at least consider allowing other DMA's to be viewed if they thought it would increase viewership. (I.E. time shifting)
There is a business model they have worked on, where there are regional network stations rather than local. The region network would cover news of the region and still carry the network programs. This would work particularly well in less populas regions, and where people are close to an urban center and want to hear the news from there. I posted quite some time ago a couple of examples where this is happening but can't find the posts. (I think at DBS Forums)

Unless Dish really wants to keep the superstations a secret - which looking at their web site they are trying to do - I would think they would list them clearly, and describe that you can get news from Denver, Los Angeles, New York, and Boston. I bet most of their subscribers do not know they are an option.

Stargazer said:
Most people I tell about the SuperStations do not care if they have them or not.

I had KTLA on yesterday while they were covering the fires there. When our snow plow man was here setting up our account (yes - that time of year already) he asked about how I was watching it, and immediately called Dish from our house and added the superstaions after I told him other superstations also carried local news/events sometimes. I really think if people understood what was actually on the superstations more would get it.

The Super Station package is why I am on DIsh.

My local UPN is ONLY avl. on Cox Cable and Direct TV does not offer any UPN stations in my state.

If DTV had the Superstaion package, there would really be no reason not to have DTV over Dish, would there? I mean, what REALLY is the difference between the two?

DTV has more sports, YES, NFL, etc, what does DISH have besides the Superstation that is not available on DTV?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)