Status
Please reply by conversation.

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
Hello,

Live coverage of the Rio de Janeiro CARNIVAL parade at the Samba Drome is on NOW on FTV - and also Monday evening - from 5 or 6 pm New York time until roughly 3 am New York time or a little later.

97 degrees West - Galaxy 25 (IA5) Free To Air - 12177 Vertical 23000

( Each school/club is about 80 minutes in length, and FTV has breaks in between, which presumably coincide with breaks between the clubs' parades. The breaks have FTV commercials and then some pre-recorded carnival. )

Tickets can cost as much as $250 - you can see it free.

By the way, FTV is implementing a Viaccess 2.5 smartcard system for use in the future - is anyone else experiencing occasional problems that seem to be caused by this ?

PS Hot babes and great music.... costumes... floats... similar to Mardi Gras.

Currently Summer there (Brasil) - 82 degrees F. - 3 hours later than New York.

PPS If you strongly objected to the "wardrobe malfunction" at the Super Bowl, then this might not be for you...

From Wikipedia:
[edit] The venue

The Sambadrome was designed by Oscar Niemeyer and built in 1984. It consists of 700 m stretch of street converted into a permanent parade ground with bleachers built on either side for spectators. Its capacity is 65,000.
It lies quiet for most of the year until December, when the samba schools begin holding technical rehearsals there, leading up to Carnival itself.

[edit] The Carnival parade events

The official Carnival parades take place just before the start of Lent. They are held for four consecutive nights, during which schools parade one after another from 8pm until the morning. Grupo de Acesso A samba schools are hosted on Saturday, Grupo Especial on Sunday and Monday and Grupo de Acesso B on Tuesday. The Grupo Especial nights are by far the biggest attractions. The parades are televised nationally and are watched by large audiences.
Each samba school has a preset amount of time (80 minutes) to parade from one end of the Sambadrome to the other with all its thousands of dancers, its drum section (bateria), and a number of floats. Each school has its own unique qualities according to its own traditions. Schools are graded by a jury, and the competition is ferocious. On Ash Wednesday (quarta-feira de cinzas), grades are gathered and one school is declared the winner. A Desfile de Campeões (Parade of Champions) is held the following Saturday featuring the five winning samba schools in the Grupo Especial category.

Last edited:
Carnaval Time worldwide , Excellent Carnaval Coverage from the Canary Islands on Canarias Internacional - Hispasat @ 30.0 West. Occasional Video at night lasting 2hrs or more depending on the program , yesterday had a Drag Queen Gala event , was actually really neat , a little shocking though.

Why would FTV implement a Viaccess 2.5 smartcard system when on their website they tell how to receive their channel on satellite and even link to LyngSat?

From the FTV site:
To receive Fashion TV in your North American, you will need the new FTV Smart Cards in future. This new card needs to be slided into your decoder and you will be able to see fashion TV.

Once your channel is set to the encrypted FTV, you will need a digital receiver MPEG2 DVB comply with conditional access module of 2.5 via access, once you have this decoder , and you receive our cards you will insert the card into the slot and you can start enjoying FTV

More info at:

http://www.ftv.com/online/page.php?P=2291

PS Hot babes and great music.... costumes... floats... similar to Mardi Gras.

Currently Summer there (Brasil) - 82 degrees F. - 3 hours later than New York.

PPS If you strongly objected to the "wardrobe malfunction" at the Super Bowl, then this might not be for you...
Mardi Gras is in full swing here in New Orleans, I'm out on Bourbon every night. Some wild and crazy stuff :)

Watch out for possible feeds on MG Day (this Tuesday)...

which satelite is the best to get Brazil?

Mardi Gras is in full swing here in New Orleans, I'm out on Bourbon every night. Some wild and crazy stuff :)

Watch out for possible feeds on MG Day (this Tuesday)...

I am new on this and I am trying to get TV Globo on free air?
Which one is possible?

I've now noticed that the "unscrambling" occurs exactly at the top of the hour. (For example, it just unscrambled at exactly 7:00pm PST)

So, I think that someone threw the switch prematurely on their scrambling system. It would make sense that they would start scrambling part-time during certain programming, which would be preceded by an advertisement for the smartcards. Since there is none of that, I would guess that someeone engaged the system prematurely.

So, if FTV is scrambled, try again at the top of that hour...

I watched some of carnival last night. There were some interesting sights. I saw it FTA at two different times and scrambled at two different times. My girlfriend and I were speculating if they were censoring the video when it was scrambled.

The news videographers here do get plenty of "wardrobe malfunction" material when they shoot. In the case of Mardi Gras, I don't know if they censor in the field or just uplink the raw, uncensored video. I would bet that they don't bother to go through it first, have fun :)

There were plenty of bare tops on the FTV coverage - this is a normal sight on Rio beaches.
The scrambling and unscrambling would occur at the top of the hour, indicating that schedule software had been accidentally engaged prior to FTV's actual shift to partially scrambled broadcast.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)