RIP Davy Jones of the Monkees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget his Brady Bunch appearances. And the Movie as well. They appeared togeather again in the TV Land awards in 2003 I think. The music was some of the best ever. While not as good as The Beatles, it came very close. I know they didn't write most of it but it worked. They got the right guys for the show and it worked.

Don't forget his Brady Bunch appearances. And the Movie as well. They appeared togeather again in the TV Land awards in 2003 I think. The music was some of the best ever. While not as good as The Beatles, it came very close. I know they didn't write most of it but it worked. They got the right guys for the show and it worked.
Several of their songs (e.g. "I'm a Believer") were written by Neil Diamond, before he started recording his own songs. NBC put some money into that show.

mdonnelly said:
Several of their songs (e.g. "I'm a Believer") were written by Neil Diamond, before he started recording his own songs. NBC put some money into that show.

Yes, some great songwriters.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SatelliteGuys

421844_10150613757068881_563913880_9310242_1745239751_n.jpg

RIP

Micky Dolenz actually sang most of the Monkey's songs even though Jones was known as the lead singer and the face of the Monkeys..

The ironic thing is the two that sang for them were the two that were not the musicians. Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork were the true musicians of the group and probably the two least recognized and acknowledged. Interesting that the least popular ones were the ones with the most musical talent.

Nesmith was actually a very underrated song writer as he wrote several hit songs on his own including songs for Linda Ronstadt. He could play several instruments but mostly just did the guitars for the Monkeys. Tork was a very underrate musician. He could play just about any instrument (played mostly bass and keyboards for the Monkeys) and was pretty good on the keys.

It was Jones that brought the teen girls and help sell the music.

My favorite Monkeys song was, "She". Sung by Dolenz, but was one of their best IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I have Monkey songs stuck in my head as I have been listening to several of their songs over the last hour. :)

Very odd. He passed away w/o any warning to most. Maybe his close family knew something, but it sounds more like an out-of-the-blue thing. According to Mickey Dolenz, Davey was a health nut and the younger of the group so it has taken him by surprise, too. 66 is quite young.

I remember watching them when I came home from school in the afternoons. I Loved them! They were so much fun and they are an ICON!

Daydream Believer will always be a classic song. That song has to be their biggest claim to fame. It is so good!

Sad event. I wish he had lived longer.

RADAR

I downloaded those songs just know and listened to them, and again. I have to tell you that I honestly have a tear in my eye and a sad heart. I am happy because I was lucky to grow up with the Monkees, but I am sad because now one of them is gone.

Another era is passing away before my eyes and there is nothing at all that can replace it.

Gordy

This has really saddened my wife. He was "special" to her. Well, off to Amazon to .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)