RIP Herb Score

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
Today, I am sad to say a great member of the Baseball world has passed away. Herb Score passed away last night at the age of 75. Although I was too young to see Herbie play professionally, I've heard many stories of the horrible McDougald incident in 1956, one of the saddest incidents in baseball history. As a long running radio broadcaster for the Indians though, I have many fond memories that will last a lifetime.

large_herbie1.jpg

A brief Biography

Score came up as a rookie in 1955 with the Cleveland Indians. He quickly became one of the top power pitchers in the American League, no small feat on a team that still included Bob Feller, Bob Lemon and other top pitchers, going 16-10 with a 2.85 ERA in his first year.

On May 7, 1957 against the New York Yankees, Score was struck in the face by a line drive off the bat of Gil McDougald breaking numerous bones in his face and leaving him quite bloodied. McDougald reportedly vowed to retire if Score was blinded as a result, but Score actually eventually recovered his 20/20 vision, though he missed the rest of the season. Score returned late in the 1958 season, but fearful of being hit by another batted ball, his pitching motion was altered, and he was never quite the same pitcher.

After retiring, Score served as an announcer on the Indians television broadcast from 1964-1967, and joined the radio broadcast, serving from 1968-1997. Score was revered by fans for his announcing style, including a low voice and a low-key style, as well as a habit of occasionally mispronouncing the names of players on opposing teams.

Score's final Major League Baseball game as play-by-play announcer was Game 7 of the 1997 World Series. He outlasted all other Indians play-by-play announcers to date.

On October 8, 1998, while driving to Florida after being inducted into the Broadcasters Hall of Fame the night before, Score was severely injured in a traffic accident. Score pulled into the path of a westbound tractor-trailer truck in New Philadelphia, Ohio; and his car was struck in the passenger side. He suffered trauma to his brain, chest and lungs. The orbital bone around one of his eyes was broken as were three ribs and his sternum. He spent over a month in the intensive care unit, and was released from MetroHealth Hospital in mid-December.

Score passed away last night at his Rocky River, Oh home. After his auto accident a few years back his body never recovered and continued to break down.

He was a great family man and all around nice guy. He gave us so many great memories as a player and as a commentator. I just wish he could have called a World Series Championship victory.

RIP Herbie. You will be missed dearly. :(

Good bye Herb. You have just been inducted into the Ultimate Hall of Fame. I remember well when you were struck with that line drive. I was nineteen years old but could not believe something like that could happen in baseball. Prayers for your family.

Gosh. I feel as if a part of my child hood has passed. This is truly a sad day. :(

His voice was the background to my summers from learning how to ride a bike to learning how to drive a car. Recalling him talk about players like Cory Snyder, Brook Jacoby, Andy Allanson, Andre Thornton, Joe Carter, Oddibe McDowell, Pat Tabler and players of that era bring back so many memories in growing up as a Tribe fan.

Some of my most cherished memories were having the radio next to my bed for those 10 p.m. West Coast games listening to Herb call the action.

Rest in peace Herbie and thanks for indelible memories.

Herb is one of those rare guys--whom I greatly respect--that played a professional sport and then became a successful play-by-play (not color) announcer.

A few others:
Pat Summerall
Frank Gifford
Ed Farmer
Ron Pitts
Bob Uecker
Joe Garagiola
(I would say Ken Harrelson, but I won't)

RIP Herb

With the passing of Herb Score I could not but think of some other players from my youth who had careers shortened by accidents on or off the field. Tony Conigliaro, Lou Brissee, Harry Agannis. I almost said Jackie Jensen but I believe he retired because of a fear of flying. Of course there were many others but these were the ones that first came to mind. At my age I only remember the old guys.

In Herbs first 2 years with the Indians in 1955-1956 he entered the league the same year as Sandy Kofax. Herb was 22 when he started pitching in his rookie year and dominated right away. Kofax on the other hand didn't gain success until 5 years into the league. When Kofax, also a lefty gained notoriety, many made the comparison that Kofax would be the next Herb Score. Now that goes to show you how much promise Score had before his career was cut short. It's a shame, but the thing about Score that remains the most respectable, is that he NEVER got down on his misfortunes and remained positive and in good spirits throughout life.

Another interesting lore is that the Boston Red Sox offered the Indians $1 million dollars for the rights to Herb Score after his rookie season. At that time, that sum of money was an outrageous amount considering whole teams were purchased for $3 million!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)