RIP My DSR 505

Bronx

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
Thousand Oaks
Last week right in the middle of a program my 505 went to black and the front panel's orange LEDs started to light, one at a time from bottom to top over and over. At first I thought maybe it was a forced software update so I left it alone for a couple hours. The LED cycling never stopped so I made several attempts at power cycling and resetting (hold down the power button while plugging it in) to no avail. She died a horrible death! Initially I was concerned Shaw somehow figured out my location and bricked the receiver. Luckily that wasn't the case.

I bought a new receiver but was disappointed to find the HDDSR 605 is no longer being made. I wanted RF remote and a component output so I had to get the 630 PVR. I don't really use the recorder (I haven't used it yet ) but didn't have much choice. I'm still a little nervous about it because of the reliability issues of the 630 that I've read about on different sites.

I'm using it with the quad LNB rather than the XKu because I'm South of the G1 footprint. I've heard of people outside the G1 footprint having simsub issues. Having it authorized with the correct map was no problem thanks to my broker.

A couple hours after it was authorized it did a software update already which had no issues. So far the receiver has been working well. Hopefully I didn't just jinx it by posting this.

It seems like a good receiver so far but I think picture quality on SD channels was a little better on the 505; it's really subjective and I don't have the old one to do A/B comparisons.

Bronx

I've had my 630 for over 4 years without any major issues. with the DVR, your TV watching habits will change tremendously.