RIP: Phil Rizzuto

bidger`

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
noyfb
I just heard that the Scooter has passed on. Last time I saw him on TV was at the Joe Torre Gold Fund Raiser two years back and you could see how frail he was.

A part of Baseball, Yankee, and my personal History has passed on.

Thats a sad one, he seemed like a genuine guy and a true fan of the sport.

Of course when ever I think of Phil, the first thing I always think of his "Money Store" ads.

RIP Phil

Man you guys are fast. I just saw this. Like Brewer I didn't like the Yankees but I did like his enthusiasm for the game.

"This is Phil Rizzuto for the MOney Store. Nedd Money quick......"

I remember Phil Rizzuto from when I was growing up. The MoneyStore ads, and the Yankees broadcasts. I was a Mets fan when in NY, but he was good as well.

reminds us of the mortality of us all.

RIP Phil.

Scooter was always entertaining. He brought a lot of radio to the tv game, he never left the viewer with dead-air like some of today's mlb broadcast teams do. I loved when he did games.

I recall watching a world series in the late-70's, Joe Garagiola was doing the game (I think with Vin Scully). I don't recall which network. Garagiola took some cheap-shots at the Scooter, poking-fun at how he would score an inning, presumably b/c Scooter didn't score defense by position. To do that to Scooter on national TV... he must have been the kind of person who would stick his foot out to trip his elderly grandmother.

I always hated Garagiola after that.

It says a lot that his most bitter rivals never had a bad word to say about him. There was always bad-blood between the Dodgers and Yankees, and of course Red Sox and Yankees. Yet Pee Wee Reese always gushed over Phil. And Ted Williams' Old Timers' committed campaign is about the only way he got into the HOF, something he richly-deserved. That stuff goes beyond play on-the-field.

RIP, Scooter, you will be missed.

Scooter was always entertaining.

I think it's safe to say that's what he always for strived that and that might rub purists the wrong way. Me personally, I like to be entertained and taught, but if you can't do both, then entertain me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)