RIP Sarah Burke

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Freestyle skiing star Sarah Burke dead at 29

sarah-burke.jpg

Sarah Burke, a women's freestyle skiing pioneer who was instrumental in getting the sport onto the schedule for the 2014 Sochi Olympics, died Thursday due to injuries suffered in a crash earlier this month.

The 29-year-old Canadian fell during a training run in Utah on Jan. 10. She tore her vertebral artery, causing bleeding in the brain and cardiac arrest. She died nine days later in a Salt Lake City hospital as a result of severe brain damage stemming from those injuries.

Freestyle skiing star Sarah Burke dead at 29 | Fourth-Place Medal - Yahoo! Sports

As an avid advanced skier myself I worry about getting injured and I know it is a risk I take every week, particularly at 40 years of age. I find it more difficult to keep up with the 20 year old's on the slopes and in the park. I always wear a helmet to reduce my chances of serious injuries and I know my limits (which become greater as I get older). Most of the time I crash or injure myself is when I am not doing anything too risky or too difficult. It maybe because my concentration becomes less. I believe Sarah injured herself just doing routine practice while not going anywhere near her limits.

Whether or not she was wearing a helmet, I do not know, but I don't believe it would have had any bearing on her injury anyway. She snapped her neck which burst an artery.

She was a really good skier and it is sad to see someone die at such a young age. It is also sad to think what her husband and family must be going through. At least she died doing something she loved.

RIP

Last edited:
The way I look at it, she was doing exactly what she loved to do. What better way to go?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts