RIP Sarah Burke

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Freestyle skiing star Sarah Burke dead at 29

sarah-burke.jpg

Sarah Burke, a women's freestyle skiing pioneer who was instrumental in getting the sport onto the schedule for the 2014 Sochi Olympics, died Thursday due to injuries suffered in a crash earlier this month.

The 29-year-old Canadian fell during a training run in Utah on Jan. 10. She tore her vertebral artery, causing bleeding in the brain and cardiac arrest. She died nine days later in a Salt Lake City hospital as a result of severe brain damage stemming from those injuries.

Freestyle skiing star Sarah Burke dead at 29 | Fourth-Place Medal - Yahoo! Sports

As an avid advanced skier myself I worry about getting injured and I know it is a risk I take every week, particularly at 40 years of age. I find it more difficult to keep up with the 20 year old's on the slopes and in the park. I always wear a helmet to reduce my chances of serious injuries and I know my limits (which become greater as I get older). Most of the time I crash or injure myself is when I am not doing anything too risky or too difficult. It maybe because my concentration becomes less. I believe Sarah injured herself just doing routine practice while not going anywhere near her limits.

Whether or not she was wearing a helmet, I do not know, but I don't believe it would have had any bearing on her injury anyway. She snapped her neck which burst an artery.

She was a really good skier and it is sad to see someone die at such a young age. It is also sad to think what her husband and family must be going through. At least she died doing something she loved.

RIP

Last edited:
The way I look at it, she was doing exactly what she loved to do. What better way to go?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)