Ripped off via craigslist.... leased receiver - not OWNED

illlili

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Dade County
Hey guys. Ive been wanting to add an additional room to my account which currently has only a 222k. I thought I found a great deal on CL, 1 hopper and 2 joeys for $150 after nego from $400. I replaced the ground block with the solo node and ran a line to the 3rd room, added the joeys. Called Dish to activate my new equipment and was told its all leased / owned by dish and cannot be used. Was just recommended to ask for my money back from the seller.

My question is.. Is there any way to get the receivers working? I understand the front line of cust service would just say no but before trashing my purchase is there any such hope?

Thanks for any reply

Doesn't sound like a situation with a good outcome. Seems your only recourse is to try & get your money back from seller.

Dish always tells people wanting to buy equipment, to get receiver and smart card numbers and verify with Dish before buying in order to avoid this happening. Your only recourse is to attempt to get your money back from seller. Dish will not give any ground on activating a leased receiver to a different customer.

I do understand. I just assumed the person was honest when he said everything was bought and not leased to avoid a contract like I was... The receivers menu had all zeros for the smart card too.. So no known way for Dish to make these work for me to your opinions?

Imo your chances of getting dish to activate leased receivers from another account to yours is 0.........

I do understand. I just assumed the person was honest when he said everything was bought and not leased to avoid a contract like I was... The receivers menu had all zeros for the smart card too.. So no known way for Dish to make these work for me to your opinions?

Not knowing the seller, you shouldn't have trusted, same as buying Dish receivers from e-bay. You should have asked seller for the numbers to check with Dish. If the seller had refused, you shouldn't have bought the equipment. I certainly wouldn't have be so trusting.

Yeah unfortunately you're out 150 bucks bud. Why didn't you just upgrade on your own account?

Monthly bill is the same regardless of leased or owned receivers.

You can't activate them. As new as hopper and joey's are it isn't likely that they could have been legal. But if you have the phone number you can probably get the cops involved. Unfortunately your money is probably gone even if you get the cops involved.

Doesn't Dish give the option of paying whatever is due on the account receivers were attached to anymore?

Sorry to hear this.

Well at least you can use the 2TB hard drive which is worth $100.

illlili said:

garys is right. Dish won't give an inch. Otherwise people could just sell leased receivers with a balance on them and not only get away with not paying Dish the money that they owe, but also stealing Dish's equipment and selling it.

I hate to put it this way, but $150 for 1H/2J was definitely "too good to be true" considering that Hopper MSRP is $449 and Joey MSRP is $149.

So that's about a $600 discount! What a deal!

Sarcasm aside, the fact that they sold it for so little leads me to believe that they knew the receivers would be useless so why not make a quick buck on them. Good luck getting your money back, just be glad that this is a $150 lesson and not a $400 one! That's why you shouldn't trust random people on the Internet, especially on Craigslist, eBay and the likes.

As has been stated why not just upgrade through Dish? Hell as an existing customer you may qualify for 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys for $199. If you still choose to go the purchase route, just make sure you get the receiver and smart card numbers and run them by Dish before purchase.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

File a police report. After all, they sold you STOLEN GOODS since Dish owns the receiver.

If the police say you are SOL, then figure out how to deal with the guy, but you should at least try it. That is, IF you have his contact info?

Oh, and you should ALWAYS figure a guy on Craigslist is out to screw you over. Be more careful next time. Even if you never recover a dime, at least you learned a lesson that might save you money later.

Oh, and you should ALWAYS figure a guy on Craigslist is out to screw you over.

I totally disagree I sell stuff on CL all the time I don't rip people off. Good people sell stuff all the time on CL.

Did you get ripped or something?

No, but if you expect to get ripped off, then you can better protect yourself. Too many people are real trusting nowadays. Even if you are one of the exceptions, trust me, there's a lot more that are scammers. I frequent a lot of forums, and I read about it all the time.

No, but if you expect to get ripped off, then you can better protect yourself. Too many people are real trusting nowadays. Even if you are one of the exceptions, trust me, there's a lot more that are scammers. I frequent a lot of forums, and I read about it all the time.

I can see your point.

But can't we just call it common sense? If it sounds to good to be true then it is.

The term "common sense" is a misnomer. It quite obviously doesn't exist. There's only "learned response".

A child sticks a hairpin into and electrical outlet and gets shocked. You'd say: "It's common sense NOT to stick a hairpin in an electrical socket".

NO it isn't (I reply). Why should he know it's dangerous, unless he's learned that by either doing it himself, reading about it, OR seeing another person do it and get shocked?

I stand on my comment, there's far too many people, that are far too naive and trusting nowadays. The wolves are among us, and the lambs are there for the slaughter, and they don't hesitate. The crafty lamb is the one that stays alive and well. When you buy something from somebody you don't know, and most likely will never see again, BEWARE!

I totally disagree I sell stuff on CL all the time I don't rip people off. Good people sell stuff all the time on CL.

Did you get ripped or something?
You are right. Most sellers on CL are like you and me, just people selling stuff.

You are wrong. Most people on CL are like Wally and me, just people selling stuff.

The best thing to do when making ANY purchase from ANY seller you are not familiar with, including retailers and e-tailers, is to be careful and do research.

You are wrong. Most people on CL are like Wally and me, just people selling stuff.

The best thing to do when making ANY purchase from ANY seller you are not familiar with, including retailers and e-tailers, is to be careful and do research.

There is no "right" or "wrong" when it comes to opinions but I am of the same opinion as primestar31 in which I do not trust just any person on the Internet. Yet with my "wrong" opinion I manage to get what I want without being ripped off.

It is a possibility that DISH "converted" an owned receiver to a leased one. We have seen plenty of that before. That said, due diligence on the buyers part goes a long ways. Good luck on a resolution.

Doesn't Dish give the option of paying whatever is due on the account receivers were attached to anymore?

Dish still requires the balance to be paid on owned receivers before they will reactivate them. Leased receivers will not be reactivated and Dish wants you to send the units back to them. They may or may not try to get you to pay any balance due on a leased receiver as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)