Risks Growing for DISH?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FCom911

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Risks Growing for DISH?
SkyReport - June 4, 2008

As the financial community keeps an eye on satellite TV stocks, some are wondering not only what's next for DISH Network but also what's going on with the company's stock.

DIRECTV may have wowed Wall Street with strong customer additions and financial numbers for the first quarter. And DISH may have disappointed some with lackluster subscriber enrollments for the three-month period. But the DISH stock has climbed by about 11 percent during the past two weeks, even modestly outperforming DIRECTV shares.

Nonetheless, the risks are mounting for DISH, said Craig Moffett of Bernstein Research in a note released Tuesday. And some of that can be blamed on the DBS giant's legal actions involving TiVo.

A lot of attention has been given to DISH's ongoing litigation with TiVo, and the analyst said the stakes in the case "appear to be rising rapidly." Moffett added that if DISH loses a round of litigation related to its so-called "work around" of TiVo's patents for its DVR technology, "then the costs to DISH of disabling DVRs, settling with TiVo, or - worst of all - potentially engaging in a bidding war for the right to continue offering DVRs at all, could be a worst case scenario in the billions."

Moffett also suggested that DISH could net only 19,000 customers in the second quarter, down from a previous estimate of 148,000 net additions for the three-month period.​

Because of all that, Moffett said his firm is shifting its preference back to DIRECTV. He rated both DISH and DIRECTV shares with a "market perform" rating.

Last edited:

I for one don't enjoy always reading through countless posts in a string for information.

Secondly, the aforementioned report is from an industry publication; it's important to research, collect from a variety of sources in order to attempt to make an objective analysis on a topic, as opposed to passing judgement from a single source.

Thirdly, Swanni is an Industry Lobbyist, and I don't always find myself in alignment with his spin and/or perspective on every matter. That's not to say he's wrong, but we have the right to share differing opinions and perspectives on certain issues. I will say, in his recent analysis (the story you refer to), he's spot on.

BTW, I'm already way ahead of you... I'm not a lobbyist nor akin to such political activism.

Last edited:
Finally, 1-3 don't matter. Its similar and should be posted in a current thread, a new one shouldnt be started. This way, if there is 10 articles on one subject, we don't end up having 10 threads on the darn thing.

Finally, 1-3 don't matter. Its similar and should be posted in a current thread, a new one shouldnt be started. This way, if there is 10 articles on one subject, we don't end up having 10 threads on the darn thing.

:up :up :up

For the love of.......seriously do we need a NEW thread every time something comes up for the Tivo case? Seriously, could we please just have everybody post in the Tivo thread when its related to the Tivo vs E* case? I guess its not as bad as it could be since some people choose to post new stuff in there, otherwise the whole first page of the forum would be nothing but Tivo threads.

He claims he's not a lobbyist of some sort. That dog doesnt hunt.

On the contrary, I read quite extensively and attempt to remain as informed as possible. I'm a consumer, just as you. And as with anything, if you wish to understand, you must look.

i.e., Contrast; compare the differences in our literary, lexicon, and spelling mannerisms. There's no need to submit insulant material insinuating falsehood. By doing so, you simply draw attention to your limited and impatient observations of the facts as well as exhibiting your deficiency in basic skills normally acquired by a person through education and/or experience.​

As with many here, you are simply a troll... nothing more, nothing less.

There's no need to submit insulant material insinuating falsehood. By doing so, you simply draw attention to your limited and impatient observations of the facts as well as exhibiting your deficiency in basic skills normally acquired by a person through education and/or experience.​

Pot meet kettle...

Troll - The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.

Hmmm... The shoe seems to fit. Care to edit?

Gentlemen,

If you would enter the following gateway, and in doing so, please remain patient while it loads, as well as be willing to give the experience a minimum of 5 minutes. We'll converse on the other side...

Please enter here: Orange Underground

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)