Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
Just wanted to pass on information that effective 1/2/2012 River Broadcasting on Galaxy 19 @ 97w has terminated their satellite service. The transponder information on their website is outdated and there are no plans to broadcast the service via satellite.

Last edited:
Sad to see this one go.

Looking at ther programming schedules (not updated) on their website they had Bonanza and The Lone Ranger.

Also sorry to see it go.
Also sorry to say but I think many small niche market operators will have a tough go of it in the foreseeable future.

Typical "Field of Dreams" FTA broadcaster. Launch the channel and they will come.

No self promotion, few viewers, minimal donations.

So many channels will concentrate on the content, but forget that they need to sell the product. At $12k - $15K per month for a single channel uplink, the costs can add up quickly!

Typical "Field of Dreams" FTA broadcaster. Launch the channel and they will come.

No self promotion, few viewers, minimal donations.

So many channels will concentrate on the content, but forget that they need to sell the product. At $12k - $15K per month for a single channel uplink, the costs can add up quickly!

Yes, they have to advertise, advertise, advertise! And especially so if they are not obtaining any grants or public funding (like PBS).

RADAR

Just wanted to pass on information that effective 1/2/2012 River Broadcasting on Galaxy 19 @ 97w has terminated their satellite service. The transponder information on their website is outdated and there are no plans to broadcast the service via satellite.
Do you mean 1/2/2013?

I would be shocked if they ever had more than 1000 viewers at any one time. Sad to see another English language channel fall as I'm sure the space will be filled by something in another language.

It costs $15,000 a month for these piddly little SD channels to uplink to G19?

It's a wonder there's anything on FTA.

now if anyone hits a big lottery, get a channel and start broadcasting. charlie
I remember the first big winner of the Illinois lottery -- he bought a liquor store. $40,000,000 in winnings and he buys himself a mom and pop retail enterprise. Um, if I won that large an amount I promise you I won't get a channel and start broadcasting. Get a life is what the lottery commissions ought to advise their winners. I'll leave television to the people who know what they're doing and still struggle with it.

Last edited:
now if anyone hits a big lottery, get a channel and start broadcasting. charlie

It costs $15,000 a month for these piddly little SD channels to uplink to G19?

I remember the first big winner of the Illinois lottery -- he bought a liquor store. $40,000,000 in winnings and he buys himself a mom and pop retail enterprise. Um, if I won that large an amount I promise you I won't get a channel and start broadcasting. Get a life is what the lottery commissions ought to advise their winners. I'll leave television to the people who know what they're doing and still struggle with it.

Heck, why not buy a SATELLITE and then lease the TPs? Sounds like a fair investment.
$190M - $320M to design and construct the satellite.
$120M - $150M to launch it by Ariane.
Lease 32 Ku band TPs and 16 C band TPs with say 10 individual stations on each for $12K - $16K / month.
Possible $80.6M annual return on a projected $390M investment over an expected satellite life of 12 years....
Could work out to $967.2M on your initial investment of $390M.

Heck yes!
Drop by your local Satellite Shack and pick one out today!
Buy 1 satellite at $650M and get the second one FREE!
They'll even throw in a new toaster oven with your purchase!

I can see it now...

Clark: Ed, this is not the satellite I ordered. I distinctly ordered the Antartic Blue Super Sports Sat with C.B. and optional rally fun pack.

Sat Salesman: You didn't order the Metallic Pete?

Sat Salesman: Wait a minute, I'll get to the bottom of this, we'll find your sat. Davenport!

Davenport: Yes, Mr. Ed.

Sat Salesman: Where is Mr. Griswold's Sports Sat?

Davenport: I don't know sir.

Sat Salesman: I know what must have happened. It didn't come in.
Now I can get you the Super Sports Sat; the only problem is that it may take six weeks.
I owe it to myself to tell you that the Wagon Queen Family Satstar is the way to go.
You think you hate it now, but just wait until you launch it.

Clark: Ed, I'm not your average fool. Now I want my super sports sat now, or I'm gonna take my business elsewhere!

RADAR

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts