Roanoke HD Locals Tomorrow?

Great news...because...I'M IN LYNCHBURG !!! Woohoo, finally.

I cancelled my locals (SD) a while back, because my separate outdoor antenna was better by pulling in OTA locals+HD, but I miss the program info feeding into the Dish Network Guide.

I think I'll give this a try.

Should I add it back to my programming now, or wait a day or two to make sure all is ok ?

I have a few questions on this...

I was looking at Digiblur's map of 129W Transponder 5 Spotbeam 39 and we're located outside the green line but inside the yellow line. What does that mean for us?

I've gathered that we should be able to repoint our dish from the 61.5 satellite to the 129 satellite to pick up these local HD's. Where do I find the exact location for pointing the dish?

Thanks.

I have a few questions on this...

I was looking at Digiblur's map of 129W Transponder 5 Spotbeam 39 and we're located outside the green line but inside the yellow line. What does that mean for us?

I've gathered that we should be able to repoint our dish from the 61.5 satellite to the 129 satellite to pick up these local HD's. Where do I find the exact location for pointing the dish?

Thanks.

Those maps are approximate but have been pretty dead on for most people. You should be fine as I find the beams are little hotter than expected.

Go to DishPointer.com for angles and such when pointing.

SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 129°W

Will Dish repoint 61.5 dishes for free?

As mentioned above, a couple of the SD Roanoke locals are on 61.5. A few years ago Dish installed a 61.5 dish at my mother's house so she could get those channels. Since they put the HD locals on 129, will they send out an installer to repoint the dish for free? I could climb up on the roof and do it myself, but would rather let the Dish guy climb up there.

Got 3 Locals in HD

Just checked & we have NBC (WSLS), ABC (WSET) & FOX (WFXR). So far no CBS (WDBJ). Anybody heard anything else?

I wonder, what happened to CBS (WDBJ)? It was on the list to be available with other networks. Uplink list indicates that the flag for WDBJ was not changed.

So far I do not have any of the Roanoke HD locals.

I am on 61.5 and the uplink report seems to indicate that they are still only on 129.

Do mirrors normally happen later?

I'm not sure what's up with WDBJ! I noticed that on the uplink report right away. According to Scott, we should have one more uplink this evening...hopefully it will be in that one. If you look up local channel availability on the Dish Network website, it is updated with the availability of our local HD's and it includes WDBJ as an HD channel...so, hopefully it's soon!

Unfortunately, my 61.5 is pole mounted right beside the western side of my home, which is lined by and fully blocked by trees/forest.

What's the simplest change to make to my 500 pointed to 110/119?

You can either go with a 1000.2 or leave the 110/119 as it is and move the 61.5 dish to a location that has LOS to 129. I'm more of the handy type and a do-it-yourself'er, so I'd just relocate the dish. A lot easier than trying to schedule an appt, recommit or pay, and then wait on the guy to show up.

All up to you.

Thanks digiblur,
I had been told by a couple of people earlier that they would be mirrored on 61.5 ... so its quite a bummer to learn different on they day they are out.
Anyways, thanks again ... I'm off to shop for a dish now ...

Thanks digiblur,
I had been told by a couple of people earlier that they would be mirrored on 61.5 ... so its quite a bummer to learn different on they day they are out.
Anyways, thanks again ... I'm off to shop for a dish now ...

If you take a look at the uplinks you can see they haven't been adding new markets to that bird for a while.

No need to shop for a dish...you already have all the equipment unless you are itching to get rid of the 2nd dish.

Regarding CBS not showing up in HD, I emailed Jeff Marks, President and GM @ WDBJ our local CBS station asking him what was going on. Here's his response:

It's simple. I have called them every day for three months to remind them that we don't have an agreement that allows this. I finally reached the president of Dish Network yesterday after three months of no returned calls from their programming department. Now they realize that we need to exchange some paperwork. Otherwise, they're illegal. They handled this with the other stations in town in their routine contract negotiation cycle. Our last negotiation was six years ago so HD wasn't contemplated in that agreement.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent trying to get their attention. I think they finally got it.

Dish may have another story but it looks like things are in the works to fix this problem.

. Now they realize that we need to exchange some paperwork. Otherwise, they're illegal. They handled this with the other stations in town in their routine contract negotiation cycle. Our last negotiation was six years ago so HD wasn't contemplated in that agreement.
QUOTE]

Wonder how long it will take to exchange some paperwork? i bet it will be 'soon'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)