Rock N Roll speakers

Hockeynut

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Sat Farm in NC.
Been a fan many yrs ago of Infinity Speakers.Ones I had were SM120`S ( tellin my age ) and really liked the clarity when cranking hard rock and heavy metal...Thought I was upgrading when I went to Cerwin Vegas RE 30 series and still have them..Still kick @ss with the Onkyo but not a match for the old Infinity`s....My question is what is top dog for some speakers catered to Rock N Roll ?...Is there such anymore?.

Do fit them into the 7x1 but love to crank every now and then.

Been out of the loop for a very efficient speaker with at least a 12" woofer,5"midrange....No need for a inline fuse like the Cerwin Vegas...Dont crank em like that anymore.

I still have two pairs of SM 122's, nothing like them.

I think the days of rock n roll speakers are gone, at least the way we mean. :(

Good Luck in your search.

I was going to mention Klipsch, also. Good bottom end and very efficient. They are too bright for my tastes, but you don't care about that! :)

I like my Klipsh, and they have actually decreased the brightness in some models from my reading. Mine are Reference II line and they can jam, but I know the top dog R7 tower have a bigger horn and that Klipsch brightness. My upgrade would be to get R7 fronts.

Bright....Brightness...What are you guys talking about when refering to Klipsch speakers?....My ears can`t see a thing..Confused!

Thank you all for input...Looking like Klipsch is the way to go to Rock???..

Last edited:
Bright....Brightness...What are you guys talking about when refering to Klipsch speakers?....My ears can`t see a thing..Confused!

Thank you all for input...Looking like Klipsch is the way to go to Rock???..

I've had Klipsch since the early 90sand am quite happy with how they rock. Of course, mine are classic KG5s. I'd love to find a set of Cornwalls at a good price. You might want to check out craigslist for a nice set of earlier ones.

Another vote for Klipsch here. Including their centers.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I had a set of KG4s for about a week. I brought them back, got a used ADS 10" sub and a pair of Spicas. Much more suited to my tastes.

Also, Rock means different things to different folks. While I love the Beatles, to me they are a Pop Band...same goes for bands like Moody Blues (funny name for a Rock Band), Grand Funk Railroad (ditto), Blue Oyster Cult, The Kinks, and a hundred other such pop'ish radio bands. Rock is Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent, Zeppelin, Metallica, Motorhead, Slayer, Megadeth, etc. I play Pop and Symphony/Classical on my Klipschorns, which are pretty darn hard to beat for this type of music IMO. However, I blast Rock (you know, the testosterone laden stuff that tickles your primitive rage) through my Klipsch KLF-30s whenever I'm prepping for any family gathering with the mother in-law. :rolleyes:

But seriously, I also have a pair of KLF-10s that I use for Home Theater and, while they sound great, I would never "rock out" on them for an extrended period of time...unless I was in bad need of a headache. They are too bright when the volume is cranked up, and I already have enough headaches.

Also, Rock means different things to different folks.

Very good point! Also, what we pay attention to is very subjective: some like shaking the walls and feeling the punch, some pay more attention to dynamic range, finer detail, how natural the sound is, etc., etc. And of course our hearing is different. What sounds pleasant to some, may sound rough and disturbing to others.

Klipsch makes some very good and efficient speakers, but I strongly recommend listening to them before making the purchase decision. Some people love them, but some find them too much "in your face" and somewhat fatiguing. So, only you can decide if you like them.

I always recommend auditioning. In my opinion, this is the only proper way of choosing speakers: grab your favorite CDs and go visit as many Audio/Video stores as you possibly can and listen to many different speakers, preferably side-by-side. It's all very subjective and personal. Only You can decide what works for your ears and what doesn't.

Very good point! Also, what we pay attention to is very subjective: some like shaking the walls and feeling the punch, some pay more attention to dynamic range, finer detail, how natural the sound is, etc., etc. And of course our hearing is different. What sounds pleasant to some, may sound rough and disturbing to others.

Klipsch makes some very good and efficient speakers, but I strongly recommend listening to them before making the purchase decision. Some people love them, but some find them too much "in your face" and somewhat fatiguing. So, only you can decide if you like them.

I always recommend auditioning. In my opinion, this is the only proper way of choosing speakers: grab your favorite CDs and go visit as many Audio/Video stores as you possibly can and listen to many different speakers, preferably side-by-side. It's all very subjective and personal. Only You can decide what works for your ears and what doesn't.

Hold the phone calls, we have a winner!

What Ilya said, but go to stores with real listening rooms and be prepared to support them. You can't possibly make an informed decision in a Best Buy with the speakers set out on the open floor with their 30 foot ceilings.

You crack me up riffjim4069...In a good way..In my first post I specified hard rock and heavy metal,with that being said I do like Black Sabbath and as a matter of fact you can pull up youtube videos of the nations youngest black sabbath tribute band (judgemental) and my son is the lead guitarist he kicks butt!!..Judas Priest,Metallica,Iron Maiden.etc,etc...That is my thing.

The clarity of the Infinity SM120`s tweeter and midrange coupled with the clear thunderous bass I have not experinced with any other speaker..Had a house fire and the fire did not get my Infinity`s the fire department did with the water.So when all said and done it was time to purchase new speakers and at that time in 98 the only speakers catered to Rock N Roll were Cerwin Vegas and that is how I ended up with the RE30 series..I like them but they have been abused and ready for another pair...Problem I see is there is nobody solely dedicated to making speakers for a certain style of music...Klipsch do sound interesting and I appreciate all comments in this thread!

I guess if a manufacturer were to cater to a certain style anymore it would be politically incorrect...lol...

What Ilya said, but go to stores with real listening rooms and be prepared to support them. You can't possibly make an informed decision in a Best Buy with the speakers set out on the open floor with their 30 foot ceilings.
Unfortunately Best buy has wiped out many of the smaller home and car audio mom and pops stores around here..Sad when Circuit City shut the doors.

Unfortunately Best buy has wiped out many of the smaller home and car audio mom and pops stores around here..Sad when Circuit City shut the doors.

True. We are starting to see a resurgence here, but you need to search them out. Ironically, BB got rid of their listening rooms about the time they killed off the small shops.

I did a google search on "north carolina audio stores" and got a fair number of hits. Not sure of your city, but try that and see if there is anything nearby.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts