Samsung Plasma cracked screen issue- How common?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Hi all,

I have been looking for a larger TV to replace my 42" Hitachi Plasma (move it to the bedroom). I have been hovering around some Samsung Plasma sets. While looking into them I discovered a major stumbling block. In some reviews and other forums I found a common issue. It seems like there might be a problem with the screen cracking internally and Samsung refusing to acknowledge the problem.

So my question to those here that may be more plugged in than I am, have you all heard how common this issue really is? I know that some people with problems post incessantly about their issue and that can skew search results. Is it limited to a certain type of screen this is happening to or is it universal. According to the posts I have found, the screen crack issue has happened to people with 32, 50 and 60" sets.

I doubt you'll have problems if the set is mounted properly. Most of the issues I've heard about or have seen are from using the included stand, which really isn't up to the task of holding up a 160 pound TV set. It is basically a thin piece of glass that is real easy to break, especially if it is 60+ inches diagonal.

I am one of the people that had a Samsung Plasma crack. The tv was not mounted and we have found no relation to the mounting and the cracking. The heaviest Plasma that Samsung has is well under 100lbs. I'm not sure where anyone has a screen 160lbs unless it was 5 years ago. The screens from 5 years ago don't have the cracking problems.
I posted a video on youtube 2yrs ago when I had the problem. I fought Samsung for 7 months on this issue and they said each and every time that we struck the television with something. After threat of an arbitration and legal proceedings they agreed to replace the internal panel.
The repairman removed my broken panel and went to get the new panel to install. Guess what, the replacement panel was already cracked before they took it out of the box. After going round and round with them they agreed to finally buy me out.

There is a very long list of people who have had this same issue on a forum on cnet.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_1...g=nl.rCOMBINED&s_cid=rCOMBINED#message5428485

Numerous people have had this issue and it is still happening. I will never buy another Samsung product. I removed everything in my house that was Samsung and gave it away.

Now, my son bought my wife and I a new dishwasher for Christmas last year. I asked him why he bought samsung and he said, "It was the best one they had". I did not want to hurt his feelings and return it so we kept it. The dishwasher broke 6 months into having it and we have been waiting for parts for 3 months now.

I would not own another Samsung product if it was given to me.

Last edited:
I doubt you'll have problems if the set is mounted properly. Most of the issues I've heard about or have seen are from using the included stand, which really isn't up to the task of holding up a 160 pound TV set. It is basically a thin piece of glass that is real easy to break, especially if it is 60+ inches diagonal.
If putting the TV on a mount that is included by the manufacturer is the cause, don't you think the problem lies with the manufacturer? This is scaring the heck out of me! I guess there's a reason why Samsungs are one of the cheapest around. Time to keep on looking.

I am one of the people that had a Samsung Plasma crack.
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I saw the C|Net thread and that is really what caused me to start this one. No offense to C|Net, but I do not value their opinions. I wanted to get a feel from the membership here, including your opinion and experience. Thanks again.

I don't really agree with what cnet is shoveling either but the comments and replies about this issue on that site are real. Without the good (forum posters) people on that site I would not have known the correct steps to take. My TV was almost 2 yrs old and out of warranty. The people on the site who got their problem fixed told me exactly what to do to get my issue taken care of. As you can see I've been a member on this site for 8 yrs. When cnet shafted Dish at CES last year I stopped making my daily stops on their site.

Last edited:
Tony, I guess I would recommend looking for a closeout deal on the Panasonic plasma. They are getting out of the business, but that is an economic decision, not a technical one. Many folks here (including myself) have had the Panny plasmas without any issue.

If I were going to get a Samsung, I would probably get a third party extended warranty, like from Best Buy. I normally never buy the extended warranties, in fact I would avoid buying from a manufacturer that has a high failure rate. But, if the deal was too good to pass up...

I replaced my defective Samsung with a 60in GT30 Panasonic and I could not imagine being any happier with a television. I've been saving for the 65in vt60 since I heard the news of plasma going away. Hopefully i'll be ready to pull the trigger by February. I really don't need the TV but I sure would love to have it.

".... that is an economic decision, not a technical one....."

Well, there did seem to be some concerns about making UHD versions of plasma TVs.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Well, I guess for double the money one can get a really good TV! I've always liked Panasonic/Quasar TVs. But anything over a kilobuck is too much anymore. This is why the Samsungs were so attractive at about $900 for a 60" Plasma TV (For reference $900 is what I paid for a Panasonic (Quasar) 27" NTSC flat-Tube TV in the early 90's and it was a deal!) The best price I see on Panasonic 60" VT is about $1700. Out of my league.

Anyone out there have a suggestion for a 55-60" TV for around a kilobuck or less? MUST have 178º horizontal viewing angle thanks to the lay-out of the room, but I'm flexible on Plasma/LED/LCD

Well, I guess for double the money one can get a really good TV! I've always liked Panasonic/Quasar TVs. But anything over a kilobuck is too much anymore. This is why the Samsungs were so attractive at about $900 for a 60" Plasma TV (For reference $900 is what I paid for a Panasonic (Quasar) 27" NTSC flat-Tube TV in the early 90's and it was a deal!) The best price I see on Panasonic 60" VT is about $1700. Out of my league.

Anyone out there have a suggestion for a 55-60" TV for around a kilobuck or less? MUST have 178º horizontal viewing angle thanks to the lay-out of the room, but I'm flexible on Plasma/LED/LCD

If there is that much savings go the third party warranty, like square trade.

I bought my Samsung 50 inch plasma with Best Buy's Black Tie warranty (or whatever it's called) maybe 4 years ago. It's mounted on the best wall mount Monoprice had at the time, and have had ZERO issues. I love this tv.

I have a 55'' Samsung plasma here to be fixed right now, a year and a half old. I can't really comment with any confidence on why it died, because another shop butchered it really bad before it came to me, it's a real mess inside. As someone else commented about though, the stand is glass and very flimsy for the size of the TV. It's light for a plasma but the slightest bump and it seems like it would go over or break the stand. If it were my TV, I'd probably wall mount it.

They also can be a pain to get parts for sometimes.

Tony, I guess I would recommend looking for a closeout deal on the Panasonic plasma. They are getting out of the business, but that is an economic decision, not a technical one. Many folks here (including myself) have had the Panny plasmas without any issue.
I bought mine 4 years ago after a discussion with msmith and I have enjoyed every minute of watching it with absolutely no issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)