Roku and FireStick lose remote connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
While I don't lose the connection to the Firestick completely with the app the way the remote control does, there is a noticeable lag.

While I don't lose the connection to the Firestick completely with the app the way the remote control does, there is a noticeable lag.
Lag has perhaps always been a feature of serial control.

Are there any other Bluetooth devices in the household that might be eating up spectrum? My Fire Stick 4K remote works fine but its Wi-fi leaves a whole lot to be desired (even with the extension cable).

Lag has perhaps always been a feature of serial control.

Are there any other Bluetooth devices in the household that might be eating up spectrum? My Fire Stick 4K remote works fine but its Wi-fi leaves a whole lot to be desired (even with the extension cable).

The iPhones have BT enabled. Everything else should be powered off at the times we are using the Fire Stick. I am at a bit of a loss. On the plus side, the Roku has been working better while the Fire Stick is powered off. This suggests some kind of conflict between the two devices, but I cannot confirm that.

This suggests some kind of conflict between the two devices, but I cannot confirm that.
Other than competing for Wi-fi bandwidth, they shouldn't be getting in each other's way. I suppose it is possible that one or both may be generating some noise that is perturbing the other somehow. As long as my Fire Stick 4K is hardwired, everything in my system that includes a hardwired Roku 3 seems to be happy.

When you paired the Bluetooth, did you have everything on and active or did you have everything else turned off? Scouting out a truly unused frequency depends on all the other competitors being awake.

I had a similar issue with a vip222..the remote for the second tv would not control the vip222..it was intermitant..turns out the main tv was creating some sort of interference..when it was turned off..the second remote worked fine but as soon as i turned the maintv on..the remote quit...the fix was to move the antenna ( for lack of a better word) for the vip remote away from the main tv (vip 222 next to main tv)with a piece of coax...it could just be interference from the tv itself...
Also makesure the tv does not have blutooth connection built in

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I had a similar issue with a vip222..the remote for the second tv would not control the vip222..it was intermitant..turns out the main tv was creating some sort of interference..when it was turned off..the second remote worked fine but as soon as i turned the maintv on..the remote quit...the fix was to move the antenna ( for lack of a better word) for the vip remote away from the main tv (vip 222 next to main tv)with a piece of coax...it could just be interference from the tv itself...
Also makesure the tv does not have blutooth connection built in

No BT in TV.
Roku and FireStick lose remote connection

On the plus side, the Roku has been working better while the Fire Stick is powered off.
With modern STBs and similar we need to be careful about using the phrase "powered off" as many of these devices aren't truly powered off unless they're unplugged from their power adapters and their HDMI connections. There's on, in standby and unplugged.

Bluetooth in particular is almost always looking for possible mates as long as it is enabled and with STBs/sticks, you typically aren't given the option of disabing Bluetooth.

Don't forget about wireless speakers, headphones, gaming devices and other goodies that are also Bluetooth enabled (My PS3 represents at least three devices).

Reactions: ncted
With modern STBs and similar we need to be careful about using the phrase "powered off" as many of these devices aren't truly powered off unless they're unplugged from their power adapters and their HDMI connections. There's on, in standby and unplugged.

Bluetooth in particular is almost always looking for possible mates as long as it is enabled and with STBs/sticks, you typically aren't given the option of disabing Bluetooth.

Don't forget about wireless speakers, headphones, gaming devices and other goodies that are also Bluetooth enabled (My PS3 represents at least three devices).

I specifically meant the power source was removed from the Fire Stick. Also, I removed the batteries from the remote to limit any possible RF interference. I do have a couple of BT speakers, BT headphones, and soundbars that will do BT in other parts of the house. They are all in a "powered-off" state when we are watching the Roku/Fire Stick in the room with issues (workout room). They do not show up on device scans when powered off, but I don't know whether they are really completely off or not. The speakers and headphones are battery-powered, so I'd expect little to know BT signal from them when powered off. I am less sure about the soundbars. I also assume the BT in our cars is not active while the vehicle is not running, but who knows?

I specifically meant the power source was removed from the Fire Stick.
This is why I asked if you paired the remote with everything else turned on. If it isn't on, it can't reserve or stand up for its communications channel.
The speakers and headphones are battery-powered, so I'd expect little to know BT signal from them when powered off.
Unless these devices have switches that wake them up, the Bluetooth has to be there to do it.
I also assume the BT in our cars is not active while the vehicle is not running, but who knows?
I suppose that depends on what technology your keyfob uses for its various functions. There's always some manner of radio listening unless the battery is disconnected. Cars with OnStar or similar probably moreso as they need to be able to be polled at any time for diagnostic information and perhaps take phone calls.

This is why I asked if you paired the remote with everything else turned on. If it isn't on, it can't reserve or stand up for its communications channel.Unless these devices have switches that wake them up, the Bluetooth has to be there to do it.I suppose that depends on what technology your keyfob uses for its various functions. There's always some manner of radio listening unless the battery is disconnected. Cars with OnStar or similar probably moreso as they need to be able to be polled at any time for diagnostic information and perhaps take phone calls.

Yeah, I didn't. TBH, this is the first time I've ever run into a (potential) BT interference issue.

The soundbars power state is controlled HDMI-CEC or an IR signal from the remote. I am not aware of a way to wake them via BT, but that doesn't mean they aren't listening. The other devices have physical switches.

Yeah, I didn't. TBH, this is the first time I've ever run into a (potential) BT interference issue.

The soundbars power state is controlled HDMI-CEC or an IR signal from the remote. I am not aware of a way to wake them via BT, but that doesn't mean they aren't listening. The other devices have physical switches.
Stupid question...have you moved the fire stick to a different tv?

Stupid question...have you moved the fire stick to a different tv?

Yeah, I used to travel with it a bit, and I've used it on other TVs. It definitely happens less in other locations, but it does happen. The room with both the Fire Stick and Roku is the only place where I have a Roku with issues. The Roku was used in other locations without issues for over a year previously. I've never moved the whole setup to somewhere else.

Yeah, I used to travel with it a bit, and I've used it on other TVs. It definitely happens less in other locations, but it does happen. The room with both the Fire Stick and Roku is the only place where I have a Roku with issues. The Roku was used in other locations without issues for over a year previously. I've never moved the whole setup to somewhere else.
Or maybe move the roku and fire stick to another tv ( together) and see if the trouble follows

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)