Roku good alternative to no Dish DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
With my primary Dish DVR out of commission for the last week or so I was forced to try to find a way to view some programs I would have recorded. DishAnywhere is an alternative. However, the bloated web interface makes my old laptop beg for mercy (picture freezes and incredibly long page load times). I had to look for another alternative. I generally only use Roku for HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, and other premium services. But I was surprised to see that there were a TON of channels available for us Dish subs (and many other service providers) including BBC America, NBC, ABC, Fox, Comedy Central, A&E, USA, TNT, SYFY, AMC and quite a few others. Essentially I was able to catch all the programs I would have recorded on the DVR. The only downside was no commercial skipping.

I know this isn't news for many, but to some, like me, it is really nice to know. The verification process is a little clunky, but it takes less than a minute for each channel.

With my primary Dish DVR out of commission for the last week or so I was forced to try to find a way to view some programs I would have recorded. DishAnywhere is an alternative. However, the bloated web interface makes my old laptop beg for mercy (picture freezes and incredibly long page load times). I had to look for another alternative. I generally only use Roku for HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, and other premium services. But I was surprised to see that there were a TON of channels available for us Dish subs (and many other service providers) including BBC America, NBC, ABC, Fox, Comedy Central, A&E, USA, TNT, SYFY, AMC and quite a few others. Essentially I was able to catch all the programs I would have recorded on the DVR. The only downside was no commercial skipping.

I know this isn't news for many, but to some, like me, it is really nice to know. The verification process is a little clunky, but it takes less than a minute for each channel.
I have trick on avoiding commercials on some of the aps..i.e. the history channel..when a ad begins I hit the home button on the roku..i then reenter the ap and hit resume play on the show I was watching..and the ads go away for that show

I was surprised to see that there were a TON of channels available for us Dish subs (and many other service providers) including BBC America, NBC, ABC, Fox, Comedy Central, A&E, USA, TNT, SYFY, AMC and quite a few others.

Do you have to download an app for each channel, and then work to get each one authenticated properly?

I used to use a Roku until I learned that Dish Anywhere is now on the Fire Stick. So I bought one of those, and now, I'm sold on the Fire. Same apps, but a much more appealing UI (in my opinion). Plus, it eliminates the need for a Joey in certain rooms. Dish Anywhere works GREAT on the Fire.

Reactions: TNGTony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts