Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Roku Launches Just Announced Amazon Prime Instant Video Service

Roku customers who are also Amazon Prime Members can now enjoy unlimited, commercial free instant streaming of more than 5,000 movies and TV shows at no additional cost!

On Tuesday, February 22, 2011, Roku, Inc., maker of the top-selling and award-winning Roku streaming player, announced that Amazon’s (NASDAQ: AMZN) just launched Prime Instant Video service, which gives Amazon Prime customers access to over 5,000 movies and TV shows for free, is now available as part of the Amazon Instant Video channel on Roku. Customers can learn more about an Amazon Prime one-month free trial and start watching instantly at Amazon.com: FREE Two-Day Shipping, No Minimum Purchase with Amazon Prime.

What:

Amazon Prime members now have access to unlimited, commercial-free, instant streaming of more than 5,000 movies and TV shows via the Amazon Instant Video channel on Roku. This new Amazon Prime benefit is being added at no additional cost — Amazon Prime membership will continue to be $79 per year. The Prime Instant Video Service is part of the Amazon Instant Video channel already installed on all Roku players today. Simply click on the Amazon Instant Video channel on Roku and look for the Prime Instant Video tile. Follow the prompts to start enjoying free, unlimited streaming of thousands of movies and TV shows right on your TV via Roku.

The selection of videos available for instant streaming currently includes movies such as “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” trilogy, “Amadeus,” “Syriana,” and “Chariots of Fire,” noted documentaries such as “Food Inc.,” “March of the Penguins” and “Ken Burns’ National Parks,” plus TV shows, such as “Doctor Who,” “Farscape,” “Fawlty Towers” and children’s shows, such as “Arthur,” “Caillou,” “Super Why!” and “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood.”

When:

This new service is available today and will automatically appear inside the Amazon Instant Video channel already available on Roku.

Why:

Roku has a commitment to its customers to deliver the very best in value and content. Amazon is giving both its Amazon Prime customers and subsequently Roku customers tremendous added value with the new Prime Instant Video service and Roku couldn’t be more pleased to be offering this exciting new service on the day it is launched.

Samsung's App is available for Amazon Prime Instant Video. Some of the other TV's (Sony and Panasonic) are mentioned on the Amazon Site and may also be avilable.

Will it work with the Logitech revue? Since they have the Amazon VOD, I'm assuming the answer is yes, but I'm just checking. I've somehow avoided Netflix up until this point, but the fast shipping/Streaming Video combo from Amazon may push me to jump in......

Nice bunch of programs, but still a lot of gaping holes. Tons of BBC content (MI-5, Coupling, and the Doctor Who may be enough to get me to go for it). Red vs. Blue is listed for you machinima fans. A LOT of crap on the movie side, with a few notable exceptions (MST3K type movies abound, but they do have stuff like Jerry McGuire). Chained Heat 2? A lot for you Skinemax fans.....

I ran through the list, but they only show about 1600 eligible movies and just under 500 TV programs. I'm guessing the 500 programs expand into 3500 episodes that they are crowing about as the launch day slate.....

I bought a season of MI-5 about 6 months back since I wanted the unedited versions (A&E was chopping them to pieces WHEN they ran them). BBC America fans will LOVE this as their DVD collections are nuts crazy expensive.

Here's a news release with some additional info on the service from Amazon:

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN) has launched a streaming-video subscription service, bolstering the online retailing giant's position in the fast-moving online video business and putting it in more direct competition with Netflix Inc. (NFLX).
Amazon, in an anticipated move, said it would make 5,000 movies and TV shows available for unlimited online streaming to members of its existing Amazon Prime offering, which costs $79 per year and includes free two-day shipping and reduced one-day shipping rates on items purchased on its site.
The company already sells and rents movies online on an a la carte basis through digital downloads and streaming. Its new subscription service allows access to mostly older movies and shows from a variety of studios.
The offering comes as media companies try to adjust to consumers increasingly wanting to watch video online and puts Amazon as a direct competitor to Netflix, which recently reported its subscriber count exceeded 20 million in a sign of consumer demand for more online video.
"This is just a starting point for us," said Cameron Janes, director of Amazon's instant video service. "We expect to grow the category over time."
Janes declined to comment on Amazon's prospects for competing with Netflix, saying the company is focused on providing its customers with a quality online video experience. The price of Amazon Prime undercuts the price Netflix's streaming service by about $17 per year, even before factoring in the shipping values included. Netflix, however, has a head start in the business, with stronger content offerings and a brand more closely associated with video entertainment.

In another release Netflix announced today that it just signed on CBS Prime TV shows in a 2 year contract.

After reviewing the Prime addition I can report as follows: The Amazon Prime does not work on the Google if you click on the "Amazon VOD" however if you use the internet address and go to Amazon you can navigate to the Prime Videos and do it that way---On Sony Bravia internet televisions you will note a new "Prime Video" addition- On the Wii box you will note a new "Prime Video" box for use with the Wii.

I also noted the Prime Video list consists of a few select movies and a library of older movies- Apparently at least as of today, they are copying Netflix in only offering older movies-For movies released in the 7-30 day period there is no avaliability.

Will it work with the Logitech revue? Since they have the Amazon VOD, I'm assuming the answer is yes, but I'm just checking. I've somehow avoided Netflix up until this point, but the fast shipping/Streaming Video combo from Amazon may push me to jump in......

Why will this news about amazon make you get Netflix?

I misspoke.... I have avoided the "all you can eat" pricing of a Netflix account and just gotten the occasional VOD download off of my XBox, as I have a loaded DVR that usually covers my needs (plus all of the movies I do want will eventually hit HBO/SHO/MAX/STZ/EPIX etc....). That being said, the Amazon deals unlocks all of the BBC content for no additional cost which is a HUGE deal to me... The movies are less compelling, but I did rewatch Stripes the other night.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts