Roku may lose YouTubeTV access

The app order on all 3 Roku's on my account is the same. If I add an app on one, it updates the other 2 during overnight software updates
Really? Is there an option for this? Maybe I'm just being dumb then. Edit: from their help database it says it will sync apps, but app order is Independent of device. It's the latter I wish I could set a master device for app order

As for hardware obsolescence, yes this sucks. I have a friend who bought a few Roku TVs and is having trouble with them supporting updated apps. I would never have integrated that tightly. But I'm well aware my Roku Ultra will become obsolete as mine was sold with (2019) after the title. It's implied from the start.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I moved on from Roku, Android TV is my streaming platform of choice. I'll never own another Roku device after the HBOmax and Peacock debacle.
That’s what we have moved to. Everyone has their preferences but I do find it superior overall.
Especially the newest interface.

It's really sad. I love my Roku's and so does my daughter.
My daughter does as well, and her tv we got her for Christmas is Roku based.

It’s what she is used to, and she doesn’t care about hdr formats, nor will the app disputes really impact what she watches.

That’s the only tv in the house that’s on that platform as a first choice however, and she does watch at least half in the living room, which is Android tv. I imagine once the tv is outdated that’s what she will want to move to.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I have a son with Down's Syndrome and my mom recently moved in. Between the two, ROKU has worked well for both of them. A move to any device with complicated menus, such as Fire, will take a tremendous amount of learning and frustration.

For me, content wise, ATT TV would be the route to go. I could drop Philo because ATT TV has Game Show and Hallmark. I'd get back all of the MLB/NBA teams I lost when YTTV dropped Fox Sports (Angels, Padres, DBacks, Clippers) and gain even more (Vegas Golden Knights, Lakers and Dodgers). However...their user interface is extremely clunky and it does not allow for replay on live TV. Disappointing, but at this point, I can't consider them as an option.

I do have almost every toy out there to play with, so I could teach mom and son new tricks on something...

Chromecast
ROKU
FireTV
Tivo Stream
Google Cast (or whatever they call it)
Xbox

We'll see how it all shakes out.

The app order on all 3 Roku's on my account is the same. If I add an app on one, it updates the other 2 during overnight software updates
Not all rokus support all apps...they have built in obsolescence..older rokus eventually get a software update where they get so slow they become inusablr

I'm still waiting on the Spectrum app to get back on Roku so I can do Spectrum Choice with Philo and drop Dish. It's been 5 months now....

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

more to the drama-

Update 3:09 pm: A report from Protocol adds a new wrinkle to this story. Google is apparently pushing the AV1 codec during negotiations, which Roku framed as Google requiring "certain chipsets" in Roku products. AV1 is a new, more efficient, royalty-free video codec backed by Google, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Microsoft, Samsung, Intel, Facebook, Arm, Hulu, and a ton of other heavy hitters. AV1 seems poised to become the next big video standard, and Google is working on re-encoding the entire YouTube library over to AV1. Getting a wider rollout will require support from hardware vendors, though. Protocol says Google is requiring Android TV OEMs to support AV1 and that Google is also pushing competing smart TV and streaming devices to use AV1, and that includes Roku.

Almost everyone would benefit from the adoption of AV1. Content providers like Google and Netflix would have lower bandwidth costs, and consumers would have lower bandwidth requirements and less chance of hitting a data cap. The only problem is that AV1 support would require a brand-new chipset, which is probably slightly more expensive than the chips Roku is currently using in its cheapest devices.

This whole thing may be due to YouTube TV offering 4K hdr soon.
Roku will probably need the AV1 chipset for this to happen. Eventually all YouTube 4K hdr will be using the AV1.

Reactions: TheKrell
This whole thing may be due to YouTube TV offering 4K hdr soon.
Roku will probably need the AV1 chipset for this to happen. Eventually all YouTube 4K hdr will be using the AV1.
Except you can already get 4K from a bunch of services on the Roku, I doubt that has anything to do with it.

, Google among other things is demanding Roku grant the separate YouTube app special search privileges and access to data on Roku users. The current dispute does not immediately affect the YouTube app’s distribution on Roku.

I don't think a streaming platform can survive without YouTube.

I can see Google sending a free Chromecast to all YTTV subscribers.

• Haha
Reactions: DJ Lon
I still prefer the simple grid UI of Roku, but the hardware stopped being reliable for us a few years ago. Now all the contract disputes are making it really difficult to consider going back to around lunch ever again. It is one thing to lose a channel like with Dish, but quite another to lose whole services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still prefer the simple grid UI of Roku, but the hardware stopped being reliable for us a few years ago. Now all the contract disputes are making it really difficult to consider going back to around lunch ever again. It is one thing to lose a channel like with Dish, but quite another to lose whole services.

Which device(s) do you use now?

I find that the FireTV Stick is extremely cumbersome. However, if you press the home button twice, then go to Apps, the experience is very similar to Roku.

After getting a 2020 Ultra a few months ago, Roku has become my device of choice (I also have a 4K FireTV stick, Chromecast w GTV, LG smart TV, and PS4). Until very recently Roku was the only way to get 5.1 audio on Paramount+ and has Peacock (with 5.1). All my other devices are missing something, whether it's an app or a basic ability for an app, like 5.1 audio.

Maybe I'm just becoming an old man, but I like being able to have my top six apps near the top of the Roku UI with big giant logos, which I can easily select and launch (I almost never use voice controls or the quick launch buttons on the remote). I don't particularly care about aggregating content in the home UI, because as soon as I select the content I'm looking for, it takes me to the app anyway. I don't see the point beyond that initial minor convenience.

Last month, I switched from YTTV to AT&T TV for my RSN. Overall the app works better on Roku than FireTV, but I can't pause live TV (I can on FireTV) and it buffers and crashes once or twice an evening, though it seems to be getting better. Overall as an app and service AT&T TV is vastly inferior to YouTube TV, but any service that doesn't have my most important channel (RSN) is useless to me.

Reactions: djont57

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts