ROKU - The b/w channel

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Roku just added a new free channel called "the b/w" that only airs classic black and white TV shows and movies 24/7. This is my kind of channel!

Attachments

• 7c10331ad06641428f8f2afd1ea88827-hd.jpg
    7c10331ad06641428f8f2afd1ea88827-hd.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 572
  • 7c10331ad06641428f8f2afd1ea88827-hd.jpg
    7c10331ad06641428f8f2afd1ea88827-hd.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 558
  • 0bf6031ca2c84a62a75f0e389b1e04ec.jpg
    0bf6031ca2c84a62a75f0e389b1e04ec.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 549
Roku just added a new free channel called "the b/w" that only airs classic black and white TV shows and movies 24/7. This is my kind of channel!
The Roku description says that it is in a "live" format. Is there a schedule anywhere? Personally, I feel that live format defeats the whole purpose of a streaming box.

The Roku description says that it is in a "live" format. Is there a schedule anywhere? Personally, I feel that live format defeats the whole purpose of a streaming box.

I ran into quite a few live format Roku channels. But with a price of "free" to watch it I can't complain. I like the channel so far,do wish there was a schedule/guide as to see what is on when.

At least the older Roku units can get this!
?"My Favorite Martian?" What a fun surprise tonite.

Now, if the streaming "freebies" could get commercial insertion down to a science so it doesn't rip
the show up. That shouldn't be hard after all these years! (and breaks where they belong.)
I'm a radio guy, not TV, but this CAN'T be that difficult in this age. Crackle's bad ad this, too.

Last edited:

So you would do away with MLB.TV, NBA League Pass, ESPN, EPIX, etc., on streaming boxes because they have "live" content? That's ridiculous. Live content is just as important as on demand services is on these devices. The more content, the better.

So you would do away with MLB.TV, NBA League Pass, ESPN, EPIX, etc., on streaming boxes because they have "live" content? That's ridiculous. Live content is just as important as on demand services is on these devices. The more content, the better.
When was the last time you used the live feed for Epix on the Roku? It hasn't worked in months. And as for the rest, those are sports channels. Watching a game after the results are in isn't all that fun. I'm sure you knew what I meant, but threw in your 2 cents just for the hell of it, is that there is no need for a live channel (especially of very old stuff) on a streaming box. It could easily be streamed on-demand style to make it more worthwhile. I've had dvrs for years now and time-shift everything. If there is something on at a time I can't watch it at, then I record it. No way that this is possible with this channel. Also streaming live hurts this channel because very few people buy a streaming box to watch live, not on their own schedule, tv programs. I really hate appointment television and more and more people are with me on that.

When was the last time you used the live feed for Epix on the Roku? It hasn't worked in months. And as for the rest, those are sports channels. Watching a game after the results are in isn't all that fun. I'm sure you knew what I meant, but threw in your 2 cents just for the hell of it, is that there is no need for a live channel (especially of very old stuff) on a streaming box. It could easily be streamed on-demand style to make it more worthwhile. I've had dvrs for years now and time-shift everything. If there is something on at a time I can't watch it at, then I record it. No way that this is possible with this channel. Also streaming live hurts this channel because very few people buy a streaming box to watch live, not on their own schedule, tv programs. I really hate appointment television and more and more people are with me on that.

I watched it this weekend, and watch it exclusively on the Roku since I don't receive the channel via Directv. A friend gave me his login info from the local cable co. so I can watch the channel. Also, EPIX provides on demand content for their programming, so I can watch it any time I want. The only way you're going to get a lot of these live channels is via a streaming box, like the Roku. That's what makes the devices even more appealing.

You have your opinion about streaming boxes. I gave you mine. There's no need to be angry about it.

Thanks Pop for the headsup.

Folks, just remember these classic, B/W channels are a dime a dozen nowadays.

I enjoy classic sci-fi movies from the 40-and 50s "War of the Worlds, Blob, The Thing from another World etc" so more content the better.

Cheers, K

I cannot even find the website for this channel much less a guide. Too bad it would be nice to know when tings are on. Of course i could say the same thing about some channels on satellite.

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/32922/the-bw

The BW

Developer: 8ctave ITV

The BW - Black & White Done Right.

Weekday Schedule:

12:00a - Sea Hunt

12:30a - Tales of Tomorrow

1:00a

- Robin Hood

1:30a

- Robinson Crusoe

2:00a

- Charlie Chan

3:00a

- Ellery Queen

4:00a

- Sherlock Holmes

4:30a

- Little Rascals

6:00a

- Buck Rogers

6:30a

- Flash Gordon

7:00a

- The Phantom

7:30a

- Dick Tracy

8:00a

- Captain Video

8:30a

- Howdy Doody

9:00a

- Dennis the Menace

9:30a

- Leave it to Beaver

10:00a - Lassie

10:30a - Rin Tin Tin

11:00a - Andy Griffith

11:30a - Dick Van Dyke

12:00p - Lucy

1:00p - Mike Hammer

1:30p - Peter Gunn

2:00p - Dragnet

2:30p - Car 54 Where Are You?

3:00p - Beverly Hillbillies

3:30p - Mr. Ed

4:00p - The Lone Ranger

4:30p - Annie Oakley

5:00p - Superman

5:30p - Batman & Robin

6:00p - Fireball XL5

6:30p - Space Patrol

7:00p - The Addams Family

7:30p - My Favorite Martian

8:00p - Gunsmoke

9:00p - Rawhide

10:00p - The 3 Stooges

10:15p - Abbott & Costello

11:30p - Victory at Sea

Everytime I turn to this channel its old commercials and its the same commercials showing again and again. I have yet to see any programming on it, even though down at the bottom it tells me the show that should be airing.

Lucy was on it when I first added it last week, I haven't been back to the lake house to watch anything since then. I didn't see any old commercials or new commercials while I had it on.

Everytime I turn to this channel its old commercials and its the same commercials showing again and again. I have yet to see any programming on it, even though down at the bottom it tells me the show that should be airing.

They inject current/new commercials (like crackle), during the show maybe once (30 min show) and at end the end of a show. The 30 minute show may be only 20 mins, so they fill in with old and new commercials at the end. Usually you see the "new" commercials many times during the night, same is true on Hulu, Crackle and others.

Thought this was interesting
http://www.rokuguide.com/channels/dishworld-sports
[h=1]DishWorld Sports[/h]
dishworld-sports.png
RokuGuide Quick Look: A subscription to DishWorld Sports will give you access to five sports channels:

• beIN Sport Coverage of European football and motor sports
  • Universal Sports - Year-round Olympic sports programming with more than 1,200 hours of original programming each yearbook
  • One World Sports - Coverage includes: the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Asian soccer qualifiers; Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Champions League; club channels for Chelsea, Arsenal and Bayern Munich; New York Cosmos, Australia A-League, Japan J.League, China Super League and Korea K-League tsoccer; the Chinese Basketball Association; Japan’s Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB), including the home games of the Yomiuri Giants and games of the NPB’s Pacific League teams; and the OneAsia Golf Tour. The network also broadcasts table tennis, badminton and squash.
  • Nautical Channel - Nautical sports and lifestyle channel, covering everything from boating sports (power and sailing) to board sports (surfing, kiteboarding, etc) to news, commentary, travel, adventure, athlete interviews, equipment, and more.
  • beIN Sport en Español Spanish language version of beIN Sport
In addition to the sports channels, subscribers have access to 13 non-sports channels:

• Eurochannel
  • Euronews
  • Trace
  • Urban
  • Blue Ocean Network
  • Baby TV
  • Ebru TV
  • LUXE TV
  • France 24 (English)
  • FashionTV
  • Zoom
  • RT
  • NDTV 24x7
  • Bloomberg TV
More Sharing ServicesShare|Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on print

(Channel information continues below the advertisement.)
-- Information is current as of October 26, 2012
Developer's Channel Description: Watch the best European Football and World Sports FREE with top packages or for $10/month. Featuring beIN Sports in English and Spanish, One World Sports, Universal Sports, and more. Live La Liga matches with Barcelona FC, Real Madrid, and others. Plus Serie A, Ligue 1, and Barclays Premier League.
Add Channel
CHANNEL STORE CATEGORY: Sports
DEVELOPER: EchoStar
FEES: $10 per month subscription
RELATED LINKS: DishWorld Sports Website

This should be a separate thread...not a b/w thread subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)