Roku to build TVs (CES)

Roku is just letting TV makers put the Roku hardware in the TVs. I am personally not going to buy a smart TV because of the smartTV features. If I buy a set that does have those features, I may use them. I rather just replace the $100 or less box as needed than the TV as upgrades in streaming technology happen.

Roku is just letting TV makers put the Roku hardware in the TVs. I am personally not going to buy a smart TV because of the smartTV features. If I buy a set that does have those features, I may use them. I rather just replace the $100 or less box as needed than the TV as upgrades in streaming technology happen.

But if there are 2 TVs that are identical, one with in house apps (like Samsung's) and one with built in Roku.... I will take the one with Roku any day! :p

Compared to my Sony 55" "Smart" 3D bravia, Roku is miles ahead in content and performance. Problem is when buying a TV, you can see the visuals but can't test the smart features.

I'll stick with my Roku 3 for now. I can imagine buying a TV with Roku built in and it malfunctioning down the road. It would be as useless as the tv's that had built in VHS or DVD players in them. I also wonder if Roku technology changes in a year or two if the built Roku in would be useless as well.

Will they really build them or just license the name and software to Chinese manufacturers?

Not sure there'd be much, if any, Roku-specific hardware. Smart TVs would already have the important stuff, ready for software.

I'll stick with my Roku 3 for now. I can imagine buying a TV with Roku built in and it malfunctioning down the road. It would be as useless as the tv's that had built in VHS or DVD players in them. I also wonder if Roku technology changes in a year or two if the built Roku in would be useless as well.
have built in DVR in my 2006 Mitsubishi WD-62827 and wonder why this feature did not become more popular. still use it today for OTA recording.

have built in DVR in my 2006 Mitsubishi WD-62827 and wonder why this feature did not become more popular. still use it today for OTA recording.

Any guesses on when the first TV w/ built in DVR will come around? I can see a TV in the near futured that DVR enabled when connecting an
external hard drive to it.

Am going to say fall 2014

Cheers, K

Been done for years, just not in the U.S. My LG (Same one that has had the Hopper App for a year) is capable of being a DVR but not when it is set as a U.S. location.

Any guesses on when the first TV w/ built in DVR will come around? I can see a TV in the near futured that DVR enabled when connecting an
external hard drive to it.

Am going to say fall 2014

Cheers, K
mine is 8 years old almost so it won't be the first.

as far as i know there have been 2 mfg. Mitsubishi and i think a LG both in 2005-06 time frame here in NA.
it could happen again but no idea. would guess never in my lifetime. so next year lol

mine is 8 years old almost so it won't be the first.

as far as i know there have been 2 mfg. Mitsubishi and i think a LG both in 2005-06 time frame here in NA.
it could happen again but no idea. would guess never in my lifetime. so next year lol

LG's site has it as discontinued. Wonder why..

Sony had an LCD TV a while back that had a computer motherboard, hard drive, DVD drive, NIC, essentially a whole computer in it, that I think was an attempt to make a home media center, it had a hyper-threading 3.0 GHZ P-4 processor and something like a few gig of ram.

I've only seen two of them in a load of junk TV's I picked up and in both of them the computer motherboard was cooked really bad around where the power supply connected. Don't know what the model # was and haven't ever seen a working/fixable one, so I don't really know for sure. Remember I popped the processor out of one and used it to upgrade an old Dell that I had at the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts