Roku vs Firestick streamers to supplement Hopper

KaptainRandom

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
mesa az
So,
I was looking for a streamer to use as a supplement to the Hopper for when we are traveling and other occassions (ESPN+, Bellator, others).

Everything I read lead me to the Roku first.
Alsa, didn't find out until I got a Roku,
The Roku does NOT support dishanywhere.
And some streaming websites (with apps) are not supported by Roku.

A bit more research,
Firestick supports dishanywhere.
AND
Firestick has webbrowser apps which allow streaming directly from websites.

To me,
This makes the Firestick a much better Hopper supplement for our setup.

Thanks for listening.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

While, I still prefer the Roku interface for its intuitive simplicity, the Firestick does seem to be a more powerful and flexible platform. We primarily use the Firestick now for streaming, etc.

FireStick is a no go for me, but that is because for personal reasons I try to avoid Amazon's hardware products. Too much proprietary nonsense going on.

People I talk to do seem to like them though.

So, I am guessing not an AppleTV fan either?
Correct, as my daughter said when she had to get a MacBook for Art School "I feel like I've gone over to the Dark Side."

My carrer in Network Engineering has led me to dislike the proprietary hardware that is intended to generate vendor "lock-in", though I am willing to admit that many of those companies that employ the tactic (Apple, Amazon, EMC etc.) make excellent products, just not a fan of the tactic.

Reactions: JSheridan and ncted
Correct, as my daughter said when she had to get a MacBook for Art School "I feel like I've gone over to the Dark Side."

My carrer in Network Engineering has led me to dislike the proprietary hardware that is intended to generate vendor "lock-in", though I am willing to admit that many of those companies that employ the tactic (Apple, Amazon, EMC etc.) make excellent products, just not a fan of the tactic.

I have to say, that is an unusual opinion in a Network Engineer. Most of the ones I've met just want to have everything Cisco. ;)

Firestick would be my preference, unless you want to view YoutubeTV. Amazon and Google stay in a constant pissing match.

YoutubeTV has a pretty attractive $50 package. In my area, it even includes locals. For golfers, it even includes the Golf Channel. To get the Golf channel on DISH requires the Top 200 package.

Reactions: joewhite57
Firestick would be my preference, unless you want to view YoutubeTV. Amazon and Google stay in a constant pissing match.

YoutubeTV has a pretty attractive $50 package. In my area, it even includes locals. For golfers, it even includes the Golf Channel. To get the Golf channel on DISH requires the Top 200 package.

My Firesticks are faster than a our WiFi Joey, and can leap tall buildings with a single bound...lol!

Reactions: charlesrshell
I forgot that I was going to get a Fire TV Cube for Prime days. :( Just totally slipped my mind, BUT, the pissing match between Amazon and Google must be on hold; Amazon's website showing official YouTube app is available for the Firestick

I forgot that I was going to get a Fire TV Cube for Prime days. :( Just totally slipped my mind, BUT, the pissing match between Amazon and Google must be on hold; Amazon's website showing official YouTube app is available for the Firestick

YouTube is but YouTubeTV is not, unless they added it in the past couple of days. They have a pretty good live TV offering. YouTube TV - Watch & DVR Live Sports, Shows & News

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
Roku has a better remote and interface, the Fire stick interface is cluttered and busy, but Prime controls are better on the fire stick. Both are good but I went back to Roku.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

They made up. YTTV app is coming to Firestick soon. One day, they will all realize Facebook is the real enemy. ;)

So,
I was looking for a streamer to use as a supplement to the Hopper for when we are traveling and other occassions (ESPN+, Bellator, others).

Everything I read lead me to the Roku first.
Alsa, didn't find out until I got a Roku,
The Roku does NOT support dishanywhere.
And some streaming websites (with apps) are not supported by Roku.

A bit more research,
Firestick supports dishanywhere.
AND
Firestick has webbrowser apps which allow streaming directly from websites.

To me,
This makes the Firestick a much better Hopper supplement for our setup.

Thanks for listening.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

I have 3 Rokus, a Fire TV, Fire Stick,.and a Chromecast. They all have their advantages. However, I am finding I use the Fire TV/Fire Stick more often, as I still have my old vip211k receiver that has no internet option. the Fire TV/Sticks work very well with the Dish Anywhere app. It gives me a lot of extra access I would not have. The Fire TV/Sticks, you can also add FireFox or Silk as browsers. A bit clunky to use, but they work.

I have 3 Rokus, a Fire TV, Fire Stick,.and a Chromecast. They all have their advantages. However, I am finding I use the Fire TV/Fire Stick more often, as I still have my old vip211k receiver that has no internet option. the Fire TV/Sticks work very well with the Dish Anywhere app. It gives me a lot of extra access I would not have. The Fire TV/Sticks, you can also add FireFox or Silk as browsers. A bit clunky to use, but they work.
Is Fire TV and Fire Stick the same thing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)