Roku's Streaming Stick shrinks the Roku box into a dongle

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Roku announced the Streaming Stick this morning, which essentially squeezes all the functionality of a typical Roku box (including Wi-Fi, processor, and memory) into a a device that looks like a USB flash drive. It doesn't require an additional power cable or a separate remote, instead allowing you to use your TV's standard remote to navigate Roku's software.

So this is cool (cause I didn't think the Roku 2 could get any smaller), but the catch is that you need a TV that supports MHL (Mobile High Definition Link) because the Roku is powered by the port and doesn't have a separate power adapter. The link the CNET article points to for a MHL adapter wouldn't work because the plug is wrong. Here's a link to a USA Today article with a video hit with the Roku CEO:
Roku unveils its latest: Streaming Stick

So this is cool (cause I didn't think the Roku 2 could get any smaller), but the catch is that you need a TV that supports MHL (Mobile High Definition Link) because the Roku is powered by the port and doesn't have a separate power adapter. The link the CNET article points to for a MHL adapter wouldn't work because the plug is wrong. Here's a link to a USA Today article with a video hit with the Roku CEO:
Roku unveils its latest: Streaming Stick

Because with our "robust" economy,we can afford to buy the new TV that goes along with making this Roku work.

So it won't kill the Roku2. This is really cool for the folks with the newer hw to handle it and who want total fusion in the TV. Like it.

So it won't kill the Roku2. This is really cool for the folks with the newer hw to handle it and who want total fusion in the TV. Like it.

Nope. Roku 2 is safe. This appears to use the exact same chips and probably the same software just an even smaller package. Which to me is kinda a good and bad thing... they really need to work on their wireless radios so that they perform better. If there's no Ethernet option, that might be trouble for some people.

DustoMan said:
Nope. Roku 2 is safe. This appears to use the exact same chips and probably the same software just an even smaller package. Which to me is kinda a good and bad thing... they really need to work on their wireless radios so that they perform better. If there's no Ethernet option, that might be trouble for some people.

Agreed.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Guess I'm out of luck since my hdmi doest support mhl

A lot of people are going to be SOL with this solution, which is why they are marketing it to people who are buying new TVs and why they have an agreement with Best Buy to include it with their new Insignia TVs that will support MHL in the fall.

People who aren't thinking about buying new sets anytime soon are going to continue to look at just getting Roku 2 since the Streaming Sticks are going to have the exact same core hardware and software. These two products will co-exist just fine in the marketplace.

I'd rather see Roku design a box that included the ability to stream local content from the HTPC, another words a media extender for MCE, Myth, etc.

I've tried Subsonic (Subsonic » Free Music Streamer server and roku channel subsonicTV), but can't get them to retrieve the video listing, just sits there "retrieving". I even converted the .wtv files into mp4 files and it's a no go.

concord said:
I'd rather see Roku design a box that included the ability to stream local content from the HTPC, another words a media extender for MCE, Myth, etc.

I've tried Subsonic (Subsonic » Free Music Streamer server and roku channel subsonicTV), but can't get them to retrieve the video listing, just sits there "retrieving". I even converted the .wtv files into mp4 files and it's a no go.

Have you checked out the private channels. I believe there is one that is designed to link to media files on your network and stream them.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Have you checked out the private channels. I believe there is one that is designed to link to media files on your network and stream them.

Haven't checked the list in a while, tried a few in the past, I'll check out the list. The Roku really wasn't created for being a media extender.

I bought a Dlink (522?) four or five years ago as a gift to someone else. It worked great with MythTv recordings and DLNA server software, but I don't think it would be compatible to MS's .wtv and .dvr-ms files. I think Dlink stopped making them and no longer supported.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts