Roof Dish Mount Only Option?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not hoping that the screws might seal.

You're talking about common lag screws with smooth shanks that are threaded only near the tip. These are rated 80,000 PSI. They require predrilling with a 1/4 inch hole, if you are using 5/16" lag screws. Originally, DirecTV specified 5/16" dia x 3 inch lag screws into the rafters or studs. Dish Network went to specify 1/4x3's. If you drive them with an impact driver, they will often break off.

Much better is the #14 (1/4" diameter) x 14 threads per inch three inch long hex head SAE grade 5 ASTM 1018 case hardened sheet metal screw rated at 125,000+ PSI tensil strength. I gaurantee you that this screw, when driven with an impact driver, without predrilling, will MELT the asphalt. These will not break, when power driven.

I have examined inside attic decks for signs for up to five years with no leakage.

As far as installs on vinyl siding goes, the only proper way to mount the foot of the dish correctly is to release the bottom end of the panel, find the studs and to fill the voids behind the siding with a custom cut strip pf plywood. Run the lond screws through the siding, plywood, and into the 2x4. The four corner screws will go into the plywood. This is fine for OSB or plywood sheathing. If the wall has Homasote, foam or cardboard sheathing, the plywood strips need to be long enough to span the stud on which the mounting foot it's fastened and each of the two adjacent studs. These straps should be screwed to the adjacent studs with drywall or deck screws.

Last edited:
Is there any type of under-eave mount that is strong/sturdy enough for the AT9? I have a tile roof and stucco siding so it's my only real option. I have my phase III mounted to one now but I guess it wont work anyway because the mast needs to be larger? Has anyone succesfully installed an AT9 using an under-eave mount?

I have 3 dishes mounted on my roof I have the same roof you do (no Gables and Gutters all around). I made them put the mounts over the eaves since I have 24" overhangs. and used a polly sealer in the holes and coated the screws before screwing them down. My house was new 6 years ago when they were mounted and have had no problems, but thats the reason I had them mount the dishes over the eaves, in case of leaks.

KingsFan said:
Is there any type of under-eave mount that is strong/sturdy enough for the AT9? I have a tile roof and stucco siding so it's my only real option. I have my phase III mounted to one now but I guess it wont work anyway because the mast needs to be larger? Has anyone succesfully installed an AT9 using an under-eave mount?

I wouldn't do roof, but if you have block under that stucco, it will work fine. I have my 3 LNB dish mounted that way, and it survived two hurricanes and never missed a heartbeat. I have been told the new AT9 can also be mounted that same way. Just put lead anchors, in to the stucco/block wall, and bolt the dish to it.

Having installed satellite dishes for the past ten years I sympathize with your plight, I suggest you buy an under the eave mount such as the ones offered above. I as an installer could not nor should I mount a dish on top of a roof, no matter how well sealed it is. The reasoning is selfish on my part but it is a fact of buisness, insurance will not cover it, in terms, I would buy you a roof if it leaks in the next 50 years, there is no statute of limitations on workmanship. Now roofs go for about 4000.00, the eave mount goes for about 50.00, you do the math, the installer should point you in the right direction, remember this house is the most expensive thing you own, you wouldnt let him drill holes in the roof of your car would you?

woodybeetle said:
...I as an installer could not nor should I mount a dish on top of a roof, no matter how well sealed it is....

Interesting point of view from an installer...however, here in the Motown area, I bet 95% of dish installs are on the roof. Its very rare to see a pole mount.

Proc said:
Interesting point of view from an installer...however, here in the Motown area, I bet 95% of dish installs are on the roof. Its very rare to see a pole mount.

Is that because the hoes would be dancing on the poles?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts