Roof mount question

ndcoop

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
I recently had a roof mount for the dish 500. The tech was great and knew his stuff. My question is, after looking at various posts, is a roof mount a problem? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Roof mounts are fine. As long as you have good signal, its working! I personally went up (and I hate ladders!) and hit the mount with a good amount of silicone sealant, but thats just me!

If you are in snow country it can be a pain, When you get a good snow storm you may wish to clean it off. I live in Colorado and we had a lot of snow last winter and only needed to clean it off twice. If you are where there no snow the only problem is if something breaks.

I recently had a roof mount for the dish 500. The tech was great and knew his stuff. My question is, after looking at various posts, is a roof mount a problem? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Roof mounts are fine, provided it isn't mounted over a living space. i.e. in the middle of the roof as opposed to an overhang.

Roof mounting is necessary in many installs just be aware there is always going to be the potential for leaks. Asphalt shingles as they age dry out and shrink so there will be constant degredation of your roof. If you have roof damage such as hail your dish will probably have to be removed to do the repairs. That will result in expense to remount and realign the dish. But roof mounting can get it out of sight. Roof mounts can also get you above trees so you have a line of sight.

My installers didn't want to do a roof mount on my chimney where i requested it. It's hardiplank, not brick. They put it where the roof ends at the gutter over in plain site at my backdoor patio overhang. They said something about not getting on roofs anymore due to some tech falling off and needing reconstructive surgery. I think they just didn't want to get up there and i only have a 1 story house w/o much pitch in the roof.

My installers didn't want to do a roof mount on my chimney where i requested it. It's hardiplank, not brick. They put it where the roof ends at the gutter over in plain site at my backdoor patio overhang. They said something about not getting on roofs anymore due to some tech falling off and needing reconstructive surgery. I think they just didn't want to get up there and i only have a 1 story house w/o much pitch in the roof.

If it was a DNS tech, he's right but not for that reason. OSHA is up our ass right now. We are not supposed to be on a roof without fall protection, this ridiculus harness that bolts on to the roof. It's insipid when it comes to single story roofs, but that's the government for you. :mad:

I think roof mounts should only be used as a last resort.

dish cleaning in freezing rain/ wet heavy snow is much easier when the dish in closer to the ground.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts