Roof replacement and Dish

First of all, those holes are sealed. The bishops tape bonds with the asphalt, making a nice seal under the footer. If they leaked, dish would stop putting them on roofs and I don't wanna hear about the old Frankentech days. (Yeah, I know, there are still some of those around in every office). 2nd, you have other holes in your roof, aside from the thousands of nails, you have chimneys, vents, the ridge vents, which usually only have flashing around them with the shingles over top of them.

You tell 'em, Kat :p

First of all, those holes are sealed. The bishops tape bonds with the asphalt, making a nice seal under the footer. If they leaked, dish would stop putting them on roofs and I don't wanna hear about the old Frankentech days. (Yeah, I know, there are still some of those around in every office). 2nd, you have other holes in your roof, aside from the thousands of nails, you have chimneys, vents, the ridge vents, which usually only have flashing around them with the shingles over top of them.

Yes, I get all that. I have had several dishes installed on my roof in different houses in the past, never had a problem. If people want to do it, more power to them. However, given the choice, I personally would opt not to do a roof mount, eventually you will need a new roof and the dish will have to be moved/aimed at a cost if you not able to do it yourself, so if there is other adequate mount locations besides the roof, I'd choose the latter. If you need to roof mount for line of sight, lack of options, great, do it. However, just because your roof has many existing holes in it, that alone is not a valid reason to add more. Any roof penetration has the potential to leak. Does not mean it ever will, but the potential exists.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Another option would be to get a CommDeck. I had the roofers install one when I had the roof replaced on my old house.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: HipKat
Yes, I get all that. I have had several dishes installed on my roof in different houses in the past, never had a problem. If people want to do it, more power to them. However, given the choice, I personally would opt not to do a roof mount, eventually you will need a new roof and the dish will have to be moved/aimed at a cost if you not able to do it yourself, so if there is other adequate mount locations besides the roof, I'd choose the latter. If you need to roof mount for line of sight, lack of options, great, do it. However, just because your roof has many existing holes in it, that alone is not a valid reason to add more. Any roof penetration has the potential to leak. Does not mean it ever will, but the potential exists.
I hear what you're saying but it just occurred to me that it's odd that someone will pay thousands for a new roof but not 50 bucks to get the dish remounted

I don't know what you do for a living, but obviously not what I do because your attitude about what I do would be a lot different. I really don;t appreciate someone who won;'t or can't do my job trying to minimize it
Like I said I was not trying to diminish your work....I did it for years.
I am a HVAC contractor. I work way harder then I ever did installing cable, mmds, and satellite. My work was stellar as I am sure yours is.

edit...and not to be a total di*c but you kinda just proved my point....

I hear what you're saying but it just occurred to me that it's odd that someone will pay thousands for a new roof but not 50 bucks to get the dish remounted
I wouldn't be opposed to paying $50 to get the dish remounted...where I wanted it (and before everyone spouts off yes it would be facing south and easily accessible from a ladder without being on the roof)

Reactions: HipKat
Dish is getting to be very adamantly against pole mounts unless absolutely necessary. And I'd think with good reason; They're the easiest to be damaged by people walking into them, lawn mowing, kids hanging off them, vandalism. Those techs out fixing poles, which also seem to rust out at ground level after a few years is money not being made doing new connects, et al. They track each office and if a given office is putting in more poles than whatever they allot, I think it's like 1%, it gets ugly

It’s the same with apartments and bucket and or Tripod mounts.

The problem is it all comes down to service calls.

Typically what happens is that something happens to the Dish, and the customer calls and complains they have no signal.

The customer never wants to pay, so the installer or company ends up eating the cost of the service call because If they don’t the customer will cancel.

Had a Burger King that we used a non-pen mount on the roof. Went there twice to align it after roofers and air conditioner people moved it.

The third time I got irritated and moved the Dish to the ledge on the roof and bolted it down and out of the way.

Then they decided to remodel the store and put a new roof design and requested the Dish to be moved.

I told them there was going to be a charge this time and before I could go out they switched back to crappy Dish Network.

So the point is you want to do the install in a way so there is no chance the customer will have issues so your not paying to send someone out for free to fix it.

Customers don’t get it, it costs my company $100 every time we send out a technician. If it’s Dish and Directv that cost is like $160

It’s the same with apartments and bucket and or Tripod mounts.

The problem is it all comes down to service calls.

Typically what happens is that something happens to the Dish, and the customer calls and complains they have no signal.

The customer never wants to pay, so the installer or company ends up eating the cost of the service call because If they don’t the customer will cancel.

Had a Burger King that we used a non-pen mount on the roof. Went there twice to align it after roofers and air conditioner people moved it.

The third time I got irritated and moved the Dish to the ledge on the roof and bolted it down and out of the way.

Then they decided to remodel the store and put a new roof design and requested the Dish to be moved.

I told them there was going to be a charge this time and before I could go out they switched back to crappy Dish Network.

So the point is you want to do the install in a way so there is no chance the customer will have issues so your not paying to send someone out for free to fix it.

Customers don’t get it, it costs my company $100 every time we send out a technician. If it’s Dish and Directv that cost is like $160

Sounds like it’s part of the cost of doing business?

The truth is that the trick to staying in business is keeping your costs as low as possible and not wasting or giving away too many free services.

I agree 100%. Going into it with eyes wide open is important also; we all know most customers aren’t like the folks on this forum. They don’t know anything about satellite TV other than it works or doesn’t work

And if it doesn’t work, the company is usually going to eat the cost to retain the customer, like Claude said

I agree 100%. Going into it with eyes wide open is important also; we all know most customers aren’t like the folks on this forum. They don’t know anything about satellite TV other than it works or doesn’t work

And if it doesn’t work, the company is usually going to eat the cost to retain the customer, like Claude said

And if a customer continually requires free service calls through their own fault like Claude explained then it gets to a point where that customer becomes unprofitable and it's time to say adios. Seriously, there are some customers a business is better off without.

And if a customer continually requires free service calls through their own fault like Claude explained then it gets to a point where that customer becomes unprofitable and it's time to say adios. Seriously, there are some customers a business is better off without.

Also agree 100% but does Dish ever cut apron strings with any customers?

Also agree 100% but does Dish ever cut apron strings with any customers?

Oh yea. Very often. We get calls from people who Dish has put on their no tech visit list for example. Also Dish has made it pretty hard to qualify for service based on a number of different factors. They cut customers loose from time to time just like they cut retailers loose from time to time. ;)

Oh yea. Very often. We get calls from people who Dish has put on their no tech visit list for example. Also Dish has made it pretty hard to qualify for service based on a number of different factors. They cut customers loose from time to time just like they cut retailers loose from time to time. ;)

Very interesting, I did not know that! And no, I don’t remember the fraud dept issue... what was that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)