Roof replacement and Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I would think that not all roofers are that stupid and that if it is removed at the base and re-attached plum it would be in the ballpark until dish can come peak it.

My friends land lord had the roofers remove the directv dish when they put a new roof on so I reattached to the deck keeping the the base the same direction as it was on the roof and what do you know it had a great signal no need to call for a repoint. And as you know a slimline can be more tricky then a 1000 dish.

I know some of you installers think your work takes the same skill level as a brain surgeon, but............lol

Nobody ever claimed that we're brain surgeons, in fact we get paid more like the orderly who cleans up afterward. :)

But just like most anything else if it's done right with the right tools by somebody who has a lot of experience then obviously it's going to be done better than by and inexperienced amateur without the proper tools. We use the right lags, roof sealing and oh yea, that $800 meter. Maybe you got lucky with your Slimline installation but I assure you that was not what normally happens.

One reason to have a roofer atleast put the antenna back up is $150 vs $95. If they took it down and do not put it back up, it is suppose to be a custom work order, including that $50 fee. Now, the rest of it is negotiable as that is just a tech visit cost so anywhere from $0-$95

Reactions: charlesrshell
Whatever you do, do NOT let the roofers put the Dish back up, no matter how much they claim that they know what they're doing. We'll be out there anyway to point it correctly, and for roofers, who you'd think would know better, they are clueless about 2 things - getting the mast plumb and sealing the holes. Normally they squirt some silicone or black jack over the bolts, which they almost never get all the way in, if they even bother to use all 6, which does NOT seal the holes

As an installer, I agree with you. As a homeowner, I'd prefer they remount it so I don't get grief down the road on the warranty for the roof.

I was in the industry in the beginning when you could make decent money subcontracting Directv installs for Radio Shack. I browse the installer forum and read all the rants about the industry. Seems like a tough way to make a living nowadays. The skill set for basic installs is not as intensive as many make it out to be. Not trying to diminish what you guys do and truthfully I loved the work installing satellite and cable tv back in the day.
I always do my own installs because I have seen some of the work done by inexperienced installers. I am super anal about placement ect. and wall fish everything. Not gonna let some guy drill throug my hardwood floors.

I just recently went through this. The dish was mounted on our covered patio roof (from previous owner) which I needed to have re-roofed. I contacted Dish and arranged to have the dish moved before the roofers even started the job. The roofer said they would remove it and put it back in the same spot, but that's no good, plus it would still need to be re-aimed. I had a tech move it to a roof gable so it would not have to ever be moved again due to roofing. I am a long time Dish customer so they cut the total cost by 50%. If I recall correctly I ended up paying $75. But the overall cost of the job was more because I had the dish relocated, I think just having it aimed costs less. They offered the idea of the Dish protection plan, etc. But I just wanted to pay and be done with it and not have to sign up, cancel later, etc.

Originally, because of some trees in my yard, my dish was on the roof. When I had a new roof put on, I really didn't want the dish on my new roof. I called dish and told them that I was getting new roof installed, and asked for a pole mount. Dish sent out a tech who relocated my dish about 100 feet away from the house (to clear the trees that were in the way), and because I had the Dish protection plan, they did not charge me (it also helped that I was a customer for 20 years). Now, I am really happy that the dish is on the ground. In the winter, it is so much easier to brush snow off compared to the when it was on the roof.

Unless there is a reason that the dish has to be on your roof, I think that you might be happier with a pole mount (and you won't have to put any holes in your new roof).

Unless there is a reason that the dish has to be on your roof, I think that you might be happier with a pole mount (and you won't have to put any holes in your new roof).

I'm considering doing the same thing. I have an older dish on my roof which is shared with a neighbor in another unit. There is starting to be some LNB drift. I already have several Ku dishes on the ground, so I'm considering just installing my own EA dish, and at the same time add the 77 satellite, which I probably don't need but it'll be a fun project :clapping

Anybody know where the best place is to find/buy a new EA dish and LNB's?

I would think that not all roofers are that stupid and that if it is removed at the base and re-attached plum it would be in the ballpark until dish can come peak it.

My friends land lord had the roofers remove the directv dish when they put a new roof on so I reattached to the deck keeping the the base the same direction as it was on the roof and what do you know it had a great signal no need to call for a repoint. And as you know a slimline can be more tricky then a 1000 dish.

I know some of you installers think your work takes the same skill level as a brain surgeon, but............lol
In 5 years, going to maybe 100 repoints after roofers had been there, 0 were correct. ZERO! None had the right sealant - Bishops Tape/Pitch Patch which means none were actually close to being sealed properly.

Then, there's this and it's pointing north

Attachments

• P_20170816_134357_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20170816_134357_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 151

I don't know what you do for a living, but obviously not what I do because your attitude about what I do would be a lot different. I really don;t appreciate someone who won;'t or can't do my job trying to minimize it

Dish is getting to be very adamantly against pole mounts unless absolutely necessary. And I'd think with good reason; They're the easiest to be damaged by people walking into them, lawn mowing, kids hanging off them, vandalism. Those techs out fixing poles, which also seem to rust out at ground level after a few years is money not being made doing new connects, et al. They track each office and if a given office is putting in more poles than whatever they allot, I think it's like 1%, it gets ugly

I've seen so many roofers put the dish back in the exact same holes which have already lost their integrity and we've had to replace the entire amount

Sent from my LG-H932 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Besides, even when done correctly, who really wants to put lag holes in a brand new roof that is only hours old, I would personally avoid that at all costs. Would you spend $10K on a new car and then put some lag screws in the roof? :D

I just recently went through this. The dish was mounted on our covered patio roof (from previous owner) which I needed to have re-roofed. I contacted Dish and arranged to have the dish moved before the roofers even started the job. The roofer said they would remove it and put it back in the same spot, but that's no good, plus it would still need to be re-aimed. I had a tech move it to a roof gable so it would not have to ever be moved again due to roofing. I am a long time Dish customer so they cut the total cost by 50%. If I recall correctly I ended up paying $75. But the overall cost of the job was more because I had the dish relocated, I think just having it aimed costs less. They offered the idea of the Dish protection plan, etc. But I just wanted to pay and be done with it and not have to sign up, cancel later, etc.
I like this idea. What ultimately bothers me (besides holes in my new roof) is no TV for 3 days once the dish is taken down. Maybe preemptive is the way to go

Reactions: pattykay
I like this idea. What ultimately bothers me (besides holes in my new roof) is no TV for 3 days once the dish is taken down. Maybe preemptive is the way to go

Yup, that is exactly why I had it moved first. I figured it made the most since to just get it done before the roof job even started, that way while the roofers were out working hard, I could be inside relaxing and watching some TV :biggrin

Besides, even when done correctly, who really wants to put lag holes in a brand new roof that is only hours old, I would personally avoid that at all costs. Would you spend $10K on a new car and then put some lag screws in the roof? :D
First of all, those holes are sealed. The bishops tape bonds with the asphalt, making a nice seal under the footer. If they leaked, dish would stop putting them on roofs and I don't wanna hear about the old Frankentech days. (Yeah, I know, there are still some of those around in every office). 2nd, you have other holes in your roof, aside from the thousands of nails, you have chimneys, vents, the ridge vents, which usually only have flashing around them with the shingles over top of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts