'Roots' Remake in the Works at History

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
The cable network is developing an eight-hour mini based on the 1977 entry, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. History has acquired rights to the 12-hour original from Mark Wolper, the son of late Roots exec producer David L. Wolper, as well as the book on which the mini was based, Roots: the Saga of an American Family, from the estate of author Alex Haley.

hollywoodreporter.com

You can't redo the original masterpiece and Hollyweird can't come up with any new ideas!! ;) :)

The original was good enough and history doesn't change so there is NO need to rehash the story again. My 13 year old son and I , just finished watching the entire original series and the next generation too , to show him the history of slavery. It was groundbreaking in its time and I can remember the whole country watched it . But I don't think that it will play as well these days. Not in the current red/blue state that our country is in today. It would only be another reminder of something more divisive, and do we really need something that is more divisive?

Have you guys seen the original recently? It SUUUUUUU--UCKS! Acting is terrible, though there were great actors in it. Screenwriting is pedestrian. Sets, scenes, and costumes are worse than Little House. Direction is all over the place. Continuity is non-existent. Historical accuracy is out the window!
It was great FOR ITS TIME. But it wasn't that great. Watching all these late 70s/early 80s mini-series recently put things into perspective and why there was a rush to get cable TV at the time. Yes, the whole country watched it. But there were only two other real choices.

What was running against Roots?
CBS had the greats Switch, Delveccio, Code R, Executive Suite, Barnaby "Geritol" Jones, Mash, Kojak,
NBC had McMillan & Wife and another "Sunday Night Movie", Rockford Files, Serpico (TV show), Chico & the Man, Police Woman, Police Story.

History doesn't change, but we still print and buy new history books. Perspective on history changes which color our perceptions and sensibilities.

I am generally not someone who embraces remakes. I dislike them in general. I have the same eye-rolling reactions when hearing of a remake of Conan the Librarian, or that other Arnold movie whose name I cannot totally recall. But there are some movies and TV shows that are ripe for a remake. IMHO, Roots is one of them.

If History does as good a job with Roots as it did with Hatfields & McCoys, I say, let 'em at it!

Of course if they give credit to the ACTUAL author of the story (not Alex Haley) then all's the better. :)

And for the record, I did like the remakes of both "arnold" movies. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)