Rough Ride Coming Back To Dish

MLBurks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
Huntingdon TN
About 2 1/2 years ago, I left Dish for DirecTV because of the loss of MLB EI. I have regretted the move pretty much ever since. DirecTV's equipment is sub par, slow and buggy. All you have to do is see the DirecTV side of this website or the other site and see how slow their HD DVR's are. I missed my ViP 722 ever since. So I made the decision to come back to Dish and keep DirecTV as well for the MLB EI and suspend them during the off season.

So I called them up Sunday afternoon to order. It sounded like I got a college kid on the line who was at a party and English was not his primary language. I was on the phone for 45 minutes trying to get an HD DVR and a SD DVR. The HD would be on one TV while the SD would be shared with two. With lots of putting me on hold and repeating the same thing over and over again, we finally got that settled. And the install date was scheduled for the next day!

The next morning I get a welcome email detailing what I have ordered. Except what was detailed was incorrect. It stated I was getting a HD DVR and an HD receiver. So I tried to call them to get this fixed before the tech gets here to eliminate any confusion. This phone call turned out to be extremely frustrating. The stupid automated system says "If you are already a Dish customer or you have an installation scheduled, press 1". I would end up hearing that stupid sentence dozens of times in the next hour. Every time I would press 1, it would send me to an operator who could not speak English very well. I stated that I needed to correct an error on my installation order and they would say "let me transfer you to someone who can help". Except the transfer would take me back to that damn recording. Entering my information AGAIN, I would get someone who couldn't speak English very well who gave me the same runaround about needing to transfer me to someone who can help! But it always went back to that stupid recording and having to enter my information again. This went on endlessly for almost an hour to the point where if I was on a regular phone, I would have slammed it down. But I was on my cell phone, so I hit the "end" button and slammed it on my desk braking the stupid thing.

So I went online to chat. The first person that was connected to me said he needs to transfer me to someone who can help! Why can't anybody help me with this simple issue??? So I waited and another person connected to me. I don't know if he/she/it could speak English but at least they could type. I was finally told that they are phasing out all SD equipment completely. So I said fine. Then give me 2 HD DVR's. Well that would cost me $100. I said, fine, whatever. I then went on to detail what the crap I have been through all morning line by line and told him that I was about ready to cancel the whole order. He apologized and admitted that their customer service over the phone is really lacking and that they are working hard in improving that. So he waived the $100 and I got everything for free.

So I finally got that straightened out. I soon as the chat ended, I got a call from Dish asking if the tech can come over right away. I said yes.

The tech gets here and after 30 minutes of looking around with his LOS meter he came to the conclusion that I don't have a line of sight. I told him that I have had HD with Dish before without issue and I showed him where the Dish was (right next to my DirecTV dish). He said that it would not work. He tried one spot that he felt had the best shot. He set the dish up and said that it wouldn't pick up 129 which is low in the sky. At this point, I thought about crying insisting that I had no signal issues with Dish before. So as he was packing up his truck to drive away, he noticed that I had a 500 Dish pointed to 61.5. I told him I used to get Sky Angel off of that. His eyes lit up and then mine did too. He said that he might be able to get the eastern arc. So he put the Dish up there and WHAMMO! 100% signals.

I thanked him for not giving up. I now have 2 ViP 722K's and am finally set up with free HBO and Showtime for 3 months and penny Cinemax. And I got set up just in time for the Tech Chat (which is always exciting). After a full day of hell dealing with Dish CSR's, life is good.

Glad everything worked out...............finally! I've been REALLY fortunate the last couple of times I had to deal with them, I was hoping things had improved. I know what that maddening telephone merry-go-round can be like--been there, done that, don't wanna anymore. My last experience (needed to switch from WA to EA because of LOS) went smooth as silk from start to finish. I was amazed. Felt like I was in a Dish commercial and I was happy to send an email to the ceo addy telling them so!

Ed

30 minutes with a meter and the tech never even checked for 61.5°?

:no

That is correct. Like I said, I had a Dish500 on the roof pointed at 61.5. That was never a consideration to him until he was ready to leave. I never suggested it because I was not aware that I could get full programming from the eastern arc (or even that there was an eastern arc).

You patience in this entire process is admirable.

Sad truth is that no one should have to go through this type of ordeal in ordering television service. Why can't DishTV Upper Management hear these stories and do something about it to earn their paychecks? :mad:

You patience in this entire process is admirable.

Sad truth is that no one should have to go through this type of ordeal in ordering television service. Why can't DishTV Upper Management hear these stories and do something about it to earn their paychecks? :mad:

They are to busy finding ways to screw the techs out of money. They are too busy tring to figure out how they can get that cheap call center overseas to do a good job. Customers are not willing to pay a higher price for good service any longer you know!

They are to busy finding ways to screw the techs out of money. They are too busy tring to figure out how they can get that cheap call center overseas to do a good job. Customers are not willing to pay a higher price for good service any longer you know!
The technician isn't blameless in this case either. He should have been checking for EA LOS without having to see another dish on the house.

I wouldn't know for sure. This is what I was told in my chat session with Dish Network. From my chat transcript:

(23-12-3) Ian H.: Dish is making the transition to all Mpeg 4 equipment and is phasing out all of the SD equipment.
EA requires MPEG-4 equipment anyway, right?

I think it would be more accurate to say they decided since he already had HD, it would be cheaper to make customers like him all HD, to avoid a future service call to "fleet him up."

But since NCTED was only offered HD, maybe the "HD only" customer field is even wider.

He said that he might be able to get the eastern arc. So he put the Dish up there and WHAMMO! 100% signals.

What DMA are you in, Jackson, TN or Memphis? I was wondering, because I was in a similar situation as you with DirecTV, I was a former Dish sub and then I HATED their equipment (HR21) so I changed back to Dish in June. Anyway to make a long story short, here in the Birmingham DMA they automatically place you on the Eastern Arc now if you can get a signal from EA.

Recent Experience...

I helped a friend sign up for DISH via on-line ordering. She wanted an HDdvr, and a Vip211 for the bedroom. We clicked all the boxes, set up the program package with premiums, and scheduled an install date. Easy! The tech shows up with the correct equipment, but the order didn't indicate any HD programming! The problem was easily solved with a phone call, but...an HDdvr and a vip211 with no HD please! What!!!

It really is time to move exclusively to HD. I think they should have started that process years ago. But I'll have to assume they have someone calculating the costs and benefits VERY carefully. We're talking about millions of receivers needing replacement.

Dish is making the transition to all Mpeg 4 equipment and is phasing out all of the SD equipment.

I'm not in any position to really know any better, but I suspect the CSR is confusing Mpeg-4 with HD. Dish has been phasing out their Mpeg-2 channels (in fact I thought they already had) but that doesn't mean it's all HD. Most of their SD channels have been Mpeg-4 for a while. An HD box is a lot more expensive than an SD box and I guess I would be surprised that they'd rather just ship out HD boxes to people who don't need them than save and give them a cheaper SD box.

I'm not in any position to really know any better, but I suspect the CSR is confusing Mpeg-4 with HD. Dish has been phasing out their Mpeg-2 channels (in fact I thought they already had) but that doesn't mean it's all HD. Most of their SD channels have been Mpeg-4 for a while. An HD box is a lot more expensive than an SD box and I guess I would be surprised that they'd rather just ship out HD boxes to people who don't need them than save and give them a cheaper SD box.

I suspect you're right about the MPEG-4 vs -2 part & "HD."

But are HD boxes really still that much more expensive than SD boxes? If so, why did they stop making SD boxes years ago? Granted, a paid for SD box in hand is cheaper than building a new HD box. But surely SD only service is fading away. It's only a matter of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts