Rsn And Nesnhd Alert!!!!! OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
bonscott87 said:
As has been posted a few times and in the press release you're out of luck. The HD locals and HD RSN's are on the MPEG4 sats and the HR10-250 or any receiver other then then H20 can't get them. Sorry!

What a shame. The D* Rep I just spoke to had told me that when I "moved" to Boston, I wouldn't need a new dish or new equipment to pick get HD. According to the rep, my old equipment (HR10-250) would work fine and pick up all Boston HD Local channels.

bonscott87 said:
As has been posted a few times and in the press release you're out of luck. The HD locals and HD RSN's are on the MPEG4 sats and the HR10-250 or any receiver other then then H20 can't get them. Sorry!

The hd broadcasts on channel 95 are mpeg2, which you don't need an H20 for.

asousa said:
what do they actually broadcast on 95 tho?

I think they are the national feeds for the ei package. Since I am in CT, I get them as part of the YES coverage when it is a Yankee game.:D

raoul5788 said:
The hd broadcasts on channel 95 are mpeg2, which you don't need an H20 for.

Now I'm getting a little baffled. So, if I "move" to Boston, my HR10-250 will pick up the MPEG2 Channel 95, but no other HD channels from Boston ? I've got to imagine that not everyone in the greater Boston area has moved from the HR10-250's to the H20's. Therefore, I would assume that they must still also be transmitting the Boston Locals in HD to the HR10-250. Assume, being the key word.

stumacdo said:
Now I'm getting a little baffled. So, if I "move" to Boston, my HR10-250 will pick up the MPEG2 Channel 95, but no other HD channels from Boston ? I've got to imagine that not everyone in the greater Boston area has moved from the HR10-250's to the H20's. Therefore, I would assume that they must still also be transmitting the Boston Locals in HD to the HR10-250. Assume, being the key word.

Nope, only the h20 will get locals in mpeg 4. Stinks, but that's how it is until the new dvr comes out.

Jimbos said:
I suppose you could make an appointment with D* and then tell the installer that you will place it.... he will probably be happy with you and you probably won't have to pay for the dish that way.

Jimbo

I tried that and the installer called his boss which said no.

Hard to believe that D* would p@ss off all the HR10-250 owners in the greater Boston area by basically rendering their HD DVR useless for HD Locals.

stumacdo said:
Hard to believe that D* would p@ss off all the HR10-250 owners in the greater Boston area by basically rendering their HD DVR useless for HD Locals.

It is hard, but it has been going on for many months now, which is why so many have switched to cable and dish.

Smthkd said:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060710/20060710006020.html?.v=1

DIRECTV Expands HD Sports Programming with MLB Games from Regional Sports Networks
Monday July 10, 4:42 pm ET
HD Games Now Available in 13 Major Markets
Six More Markets to Launch in Coming Weeks

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 10, 2006--DIRECTV is stacking the lineup with more HD sports programming by delivering Major League Baseball games produced in HD by regional sports networks (RSNs) in 19 major markets.
ADVERTISEMENT

DIRECTV is now broadcasting all MLB games produced in HD from the following RSNs: FSN Prime Ticket (Los Angeles Dodgers), FSN West (Los Angeles Angels), FSN Bay Area (San Francisco Giants, Oakland A's), FSN South (Atlanta Braves), FSN Houston (Astros), FSN Detroit (Tigers), FSN Florida (Marlins, Devil Rays), SportsTime Ohio (Cleveland Indians), FSN North (Minnesota Twins), FSN Northwest (Seattle Mariners), FSN Arizona (Diamondbacks), FSN Rocky Mountain (Colorado Rockies) and Turner South (Atlanta Braves).

On July 18, HD MLB games from YES Network (Yankees) and FSN Southwest (Rangers HD games will be seen only in the Dallas DMA) will be available, as well as a continuous 24/7 HD feed from NESN HD (Red Sox). In August DIRECTV will deliver HD MLB games from SportsNet New York (Mets), as well as continuous 24/7 HD feeds from Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic HD (Orioles) and Comcast SportsNet Chicago HDTV (Cubs, White Sox).

The RSNs' HD games will be broadcast by DIRECTV via a local market spot beam, and as a result, the RSN programming will be available only to those customers who live within the local DMA (designated market area) spot beam and the RSN team territory. The games will be available at no extra charge.

In addition to the MLB games, DIRECTV will also carry NHL and NBA games that are televised on the RSNs when their seasons start in the fall.

"If we hear one thing from our HD customers, it's 'give us more sports programming in HD,' and we plan to do that throughout the year, beginning with more Major League Baseball games in HD via the RSNs in several of the largest markets," said Dan Fawcett, executive vice president, Programming Acquisition, DIRECTV, Inc. "With all of the regional sports networks' games produced in HD -- including MLB, NHL and NBA, and the more than 110 NFL games DIRECTV will broadcast in HD this fall, we'll offer fans the best selection of HD sports programming available anywhere."

Customers who live within the RSN team territory and the spot beam area will also be required to have the H20 (MPEG4 compatible) HD receiver along with a five LNB dish to receive the RSN's HD programming. The HD games will be available on viewer channel 96 or 97 in each market, and the 24/7 RSNs will be seen on a separate channel that will have the same viewer channel number as their standard definition feed. For customers outside the spot beam, select HD games may be available on channel 95.

Customers can visit DIRECTV.com to determine if they are within the team territory and spot beam and can receive the games.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc. is the nation's leading digital television service provider with more than 15.4 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV (NYSE:DTV - News) is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment. DIRECTV is approximately 38 percent owned by News Corporation.

DIRECTV, Inc.
Robert Mercer, 310-726-4683

Which Sat will it be on?

BFG said:
Interesting. So we're learning that the spot beam deos reach further than the physical boston DMA. I guess it comes down to DirecTV not taking a chance on adding additional zip codes in case the signal is too low
Almost without a doubt the spot beam would cover a much larger area than just the Boston DMA. As I noted in an earlier post, the San Francisco spot beam could probably cover from NYC to into New Hamshire and Vermont.

So it boils down to what eligibility criteria DirecTV is using to activate the accounts, and at the present time, it appears to be Boston DMA zipcodes only. Whether this is by design or because of a software problem only DirecTV and/or NESN know for sure.

Come on dude, there's no way a san fran beam could reach NYC, that defeats the whole purpose of the beams

igator99 said:
The regional sports networks in HD?

There are many of them, that's why I asked. I think they will be on the same sat that the local hd channels are on.

BFG said:
Well there's now way a san fran beam could reach NYC, that defeats the whole purpose of the beams
Not sure if you're kidding or not. :confused:

What I mean is that the size of the spot beam used for SF could cover the area of Boston and NYC and a large part of the surrounding area. If I'm not mistaken these beams can be configured from around 60 miles in circumference to as much as 160 miles, probably larger. Of course, depending on the geographic location the beam coverage could be close to a perfect circle, or an elongated oblong shape.

To have the beam configured to conform to zipcode boundaries only is not possible. For example, the NYC spot beam undoubtedly reaches into Boston, its just a matter of activating the STB to receive the signal.

stumacdo said:

Ok, here's the deal.

Channel 95 has been around on the current system (MPEG2) for a couple years now. It's the "Special Events HD" channel. Right now it carries ML baseball games. In the fall and winter it carries NHL and NBA games. So nothing new here.

YES in HD has also been around about a year now, before the Spaceway satellites and thus it's on MPEG 2 as well.

New York and LA locals in HD are also on the MPEG 2 sats to cover areas that don't have locals (distants). These have been there about a year as well.

All of these can be received via a 3 LNB dish and any current receiver including the HR10-250.

MPEG 4 system has been in planning for at least 2 years now and started with the launch of the Spaceway's last year. These two sats use only spotbeams.
ALL HD locals that have gone up (other then NY and LA) are on the MPEG4 sats and thus need a 5 LNB dish and an MPEG 4 capable receiver. They were never up in MPEG 2. Right now only the H20 is MPEG 4 capable. The new MPEG 4 HD DVR is due out this fall.

Now all the new RSN's going up in HD are also on the MPEG 4 system and are carried on the spotbeam with the HD locals to those markets. And any new HD channels going up will most likely MPEG 4. And next year after the launch of the next 2 sats they will convert ALL the HD channels out there now to the MPEG 4 system and eventually shut down the MPEG 2 feeds.

Last edited:
not sure if this is true or not, but my brother inlaw in fall river, ma just called me and said during the game jerry remy said that NESN HD will be available for everyone within it's broadcast range as of next tues. if this is true, looks like this will be the shortest "move" in history. Like I said, i didn't here it for myself, but this is what he thought was said. so there could be hope for everyone yet.

did anyone here this info?

Last edited:
Questioner said:
He didnt say that.

Well Bob, if you're so sure that this wasn't said, you must know what was. So maybe you can enlighten everyone as to what was said during today's game.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)