RSN HD Feed question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

atp1313

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Goose Creek, SC
Got the 5LNB installed today, so I should now be able to receive my local RSN HD feeds (FSN South and SportsSouth), right? The Braves/Phillies game Friday night was supposedly shot/presented in HD, but I was unable to get it. I tried tuning to the SD channel since I had read on the D* site that some RSN HD feeds are simulcast on the same channel as SD. The D* site also says I should try tuning to Channels 95, 96 or 97 to get my RSN HD feed. My box is telling me that Channel 97 doesn't exist or isn't paid for (Error 721). The CSR's I have spoken to don't seem to know what the problem is...can anyone fill me in? Is there some additional settings I need to tweak on my HR20-700 to make the 90's appear as "real" channels?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Looks like he's in the charleston S.C. DMA.

The 29445 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro team(s) available in Standard Definition. With HD Access select teams available in HD where noted below:

With any DIRECTV base package:

FSN South (Ch. 630)
# Atlanta Braves
# Carolina Hurricanes
# Charlotte Sting

Yeah, I read that on the D* site as well. But if my local sports team is playing a game broadcast in HD, shouldn't I get it? I mean if it were a matter of blackouts, I shouldn't be getting the SD feed at all, so why not the HD feed, too?

Is this "HD Access" an additional programming requirement on top of having the HD programming and the Sports Pack? Or is that simply another name for the HD programming I am already paying for?

yep, but it shouldn't affect your rsn hd programming. if you have your hd locals (mpeg4), your rsn should broadcast hd games on either channels 95 or 96.

I recall seeing somewhere that FSN has limited HD capabilities and can't cover all games in HD. I know that for the Mariners, only home games which are carried on FSN SD will also be in HD on channel 96. Sometimes the same games are also on 95. I believe that 97 is used for areas which are fortunate enough to have two RSNs.

The game was advertised by the network as being in HD. I understand my RSN not covering away games in HD if they don't have some sort of agreement with that other team/club to retransmit their HD signal; but if a home game is advertised as being in HD, and I now have the 5LNB dish along with an MPEG4 STB (HR20-700), and I subscribe to the HD package and the sports package, shouldn't it jsut come through as HD? I mean when I looked at channels 95 & 96 last night, the two games listed were the Yankees vs. someone and the Marlins vs. someone. Since I am not in the DMA for either of those franchises, why would those be showing? Are those channels used as part of the MLB-EI channels?

yep, but it shouldn't affect your rsn hd programming. if you have your hd locals (mpeg4), your rsn should broadcast hd games on either channels 95 or 96.

I am in DMA #100, so no locals in HD yet. Do I really have to wait until I get locals in HD before I can see RSN's in HD? Doesn't mesh with everything else I have read. It also contradicts what the D* installer was saying (he was D* employee, not sub/contractor).

I am in DMA #100, so no locals in HD yet. Do I really have to wait until I get locals in HD before I can see RSN's in HD? Doesn't mesh with everything else I have read. It also contradicts what the D* installer was saying (he was D* employee, not sub/contractor).

Likely so on the RSN, BUT a "real" 110% DirecTV employee that did your install?

as far as i know, you will not see your rsn in hd unless you are receiving hd locals. for the brief time, i had an mpeg2 receiver hooked up in my bedroom, i couldn't even receive channel 96 (my rsn local channel) in the guide, let alone on the screen.

Likely so on the RSN, BUT a "real" 110% DirecTV employee that did your install?

Yeppers! And he was a "Gold Certified" technician, or some such non-sense. Actually, he was the best D* rep who has ever done work for me. Nice guy and high-quality work.

as far as i know, you will not see your rsn in hd unless you are receiving hd locals. for the brief time, i had an mpeg2 receiver hooked up in my bedroom, i couldn't even receive channel 96 (my rsn local channel) in the guide, let alone on the screen.

Well that blows goats. :mad: The main reason I went ahead and did the upgrade to the 5LNB was so I could watch HD baseball this summer in anticipation of the big fall HD rollout. :D

Well that blows goats. :mad: The main reason I went ahead and did the upgrade to the 5LNB was so I could watch HD baseball this summer in anticipation of the big fall HD rollout. :D

Hang in there, once the new sats get up you will more than likely get your FSN in HD !

Yeah, I know...I was just hoping for a little taste of what life will be like soon... ;)

Well, I've been waiting since I made the Mpeg4 change back in September, now I can finally start to see some addl channels, that will be a good thing ...

I have known all along that they would not be here till later this year, thats been known for quite some time know, but like you said, theres always hopeing !!!

Now that it appears to be right around the corner the anticipation is starting to build .

Remember, D* is still following thier schedule with thier 2 year plan and it seems to still be right on schedule......

Jimbo

So after reading this my understanding is you can ONLY recieve your RSN in HD IF you also recieve your locals in HD? Right now with my "move" I can only pick up my locals in SD. Also, new sats being launched next month will move HD locals from spotbeam to conus so I should be able to pick up HD RSNs? So far the HD on Direct is really not too bad and I hope more will be added over this year. Thanks

So after reading this my understanding is you can ONLY recieve your RSN in HD IF you also recieve your locals in HD? Right now with my "move" I can only pick up my locals in SD. Also, new sats being launched next month will move HD locals from spotbeam to conus so I should be able to pick up HD RSNs? So far the HD on Direct is really not too bad and I hope more will be added over this year. Thanks

Yes, in order to get hd rsn's, you must get your locals in hd. It isn't guaranteed that the hd rsn's will be CONUS with the new sats, but that seems to be the general consensus.

Yes, in order to get hd rsn's, you must get your locals in hd. It isn't guaranteed that the hd rsn's will be CONUS with the new sats, but that seems to be the general consensus.

In my area, there are no locals available in hd via D*.

However, I do receive my local RSN (YES) in HD.

In my area, there are no locals available in hd via D*.

However, I do receive my local RSN (YES) in HD.

Thanks for the correction. Apparently there is an exception to the "rule".

It isn't guaranteed that the hd rsn's will be CONUS with the new sats, but that seems to be the general consensus.

Yes, Lets hope that does happen and quickly so we can take advantage of at least a little bit of the baseball season, before the NFL starts up again.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.