RSNs on Dish

zippyfrog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Chicago, IL
This is going to be interesting - the FOX RSN's expire on Dish this summer. And on top of it, the RSN's are being sold by Disney as part of the Disney/FOX deal:

Dish Network's Expiring Deal Adds Wrinkle To Sale Of RSNs

Just something to keep an eye on. Could they be dropped? We have talked on the forum so many times about when Dish would drop RSN's. Will be very interesting to see if Sinclair ends up getting the RSN's and if they tie that in with future negotiations.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I wouldn't be surprised if Dish dropped them, if we really want to be honest here I believe dish has never cared about sports like DirecTV has but I will give them credit for having the PAC-12 Network though...

For reasons that defy understanding my RSN is Rocky Mountain (I'm in eastern PA) but that's not the dumbest part - all games of any kind are blacked out for me so essentially I can watch the Rich Eisen and/or the Dan Patrick shows, that's it. :coco

I'm doing the single-team MLB.tv subscription this year for $91.99 instead of using my RSN. I can't stand the talking heads on FSM. With MLB.tv I can overlay the radio broadcast, which is much more palatable.

Reactions: zippyfrog
For reasons that defy understanding my RSN is Rocky Mountain (I'm in eastern PA) but that's not the dumbest part - all games of any kind are blacked out for me so essentially I can watch the Rich Eisen and/or the Dan Patrick shows, that's it. :coco

If you're in Eastern PA you should be getting ATT Sportsnet Pittsburgh. Sounds like you might need to call and have them re-activate your receiver. Depending on which receiver you have, the techs can remote-in and see what's going on.

Reactions: Pere845
I'm doing the single-team MLB.tv subscription this year for $91.99 instead of using my RSN. I can't stand the talking heads on FSM. With MLB.tv I can overlay the radio broadcast, which is much more palatable.

I have tried using that radio overlay feature during spring training when there were no blackouts on MLB.tv, but I have found it is about 1-2 seconds ahead of the video broadcast. I would definitely prefer hearing the Cubs radio broadcast over the tv broadcasters. Too bad it is blacked out during the season.

I have tried using that radio overlay feature during spring training when there were no blackouts on MLB.tv, but I have found it is about 1-2 seconds ahead of the video broadcast. I would definitely prefer hearing the Cubs radio broadcast over the tv broadcasters. Too bad it is blacked out during the season.

The audio overlay works good on the Roku. With regards to the blackouts, Unlocator is your friend :)

PS- Go Cardinals

Although I can see Dish dropping the RSN’s I think the back lash with subscribers would we worse than HBO

I agree with this - with HBO, so much of it is on demand. There is something about live sports and news that if a TV provider cuts that back, they are not positioning themselves well. Dropping 15 full time Fox RSN's plus all the alternates that Dish carries impacts a lot of people. And I think that dropping them would be a lot worst now than when Dish did drop the Fox RSN's back in 2010 due to the streaming options. For me, if Dish drops NBC Sports Chicago later this year, that could be a deal breaker.

This would be a good opportunity for Dish to get the RSN’s out of the main packages and make them an optional add-on. Those that want them can pay for them.

Would you envision what they do for the Top 120 with the Top 120+ where the + has the RSN's and a couple of other sports channels? Have there be a Top 200 vs a Top 200+ and a Top 250 and Top 250+?

The AT&T Rocky Mountain RSN has been on my lineup for a few months now in N.C. as well. No idea why. I also still get Fox Sports Carolina which is my normal RSN.

I can’t see dish dropping these but then again who thought they’d drop HBO. I’m a Dish loyalist but I’d switch providers over it.

Would you envision what they do for the Top 120 with the Top 120+ where the + has the RSN's and a couple of other sports channels? Have there be a Top 200 vs a Top 200+ and a Top 250 and Top 250+?

My vision would be an ala carte option like locals for each market. If you want the local RSN in your base package, pay for it as a separate line item, if you never watch them then don’t subscribe to the RSN and save the $3-$10 or whatever your RSN’s are costing.

I’d love to save the $15 a month I’m charged below the line for locals and RSN’s by Cox.

In North Texas, I also get the Rocky Mountain ATT Sportsnet, but not the Houston ATT Sportsnet. Of course Astros games are still blacked out unless it's ESPN Sunday Night Baseball or a game on FOX broadcast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts