Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ok folks, since I have been back from Vacation I have been hearing a VERY strong buzz that SOON many people will be getting upgrades to a 105 SuperDish.

The reason for the upgrade is so that Dish can offer all locals using a one dish solution. For those who currently have a dish pointed at 61.5 or 148 for your must carry locals, chances are you soon will be getting notified about a SuperDish Upgrade.

I am also hearing buzzing that Dish is working on some new HD programming, this new programming will also go to 105 (but not until the new 105 bird gos up and is fully tested) people wanting these new HD channels but do not have a SuperDish will probably be able to get one by committing to a year of Dish Network HD pack.

There is also some buzzing that some HD could soon be found at 61.5 and 148, this is due to the fact that space will be opening up when the must carry channels leave the wing slots.

I would say to put ALL new HD only at 61.5 and 148 and forget about 105 for HD. This way if something happens and Dish does buy VOOM there will be lots of HD folks with dishes already pointed at 61.5 (and many HD owners already have dishes pointed at 61.5 from when HD was on 61.5 before)

Now of course as normal this is all just a rumor, however the buzzing is VERY strong this this is the course Dish Network is planning on taking. If I hear more I will keep you informed.

So...To get all HD, we will likely have to have a superdish AND another dish pointing at 61.5/148?

I'm sure that'll be cheap to get setup.

No to get all HD the plans are now to get them on a SuperDish.

I am saying I would rather them put all HD on 61.5 again since there will be a lot of bandwidth (and again if something happened with VOOM many people would be ready)

What I want to know if what people with 121 SuperDish's will need to do? Get TWO SuperDishs?

I would think 61.5 would be a better option also. Think about those folks on the islands, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, etc., that probally can't get signal from 105. Or would they?

Well, since Minneapolis can't get 105 real well, this might be an issue.

KAWB (PBS Bemidji/Brainerd) is on 61.5, but 105 only hits 40 at my house in Minneapolis. The DMA goes all the way to the Canadian border (or damn near it), so this may not work right now.

What if you don't want the SD. Can you opt out because I dont think my relatives would want a Superdish for one channel.

I think requiring that wide swath of the sky is nuts (61.5, 105, 110, 119). LOS issues will become insufferable. E* will lose a bunch of customers on this, and we have our wonderful congress to thank

Iceberg said:

KAWB (PBS Bemidji/Brainerd) is on 61.5, but 105 only hits 40 at my house in Minneapolis. The DMA goes all the way to the Canadian border (or damn near it), so this may not work right now.

The new higher powered 105 bird should remedy this.

I'm with Scott, Dish should put HD at 61.5 and 148.

NightRyder

By putting all HD on the wing birds, there is wasted capacity since they will have to replicate the same thing on both birds. They're better suited for locals as each of them can target their regions more effectively. 105/121 is better suited for all since they reach a larger customer base. Heck, I think they should totally remove international from 61.5 and 148 and them completely with locals alone while removing the locals taking space on 110 and 119. Now, even if they buy VOOM, they will have enough space on the primary birds to handle the HD. Clearly even a kindergarten student can tell you that replicating common channels is a waste of capacity.

I don't know if they can put the locals on the wing slots because of the "All locals on one dish" law.

Remember 110 and 119 are spot beam birds, so they just can't remove the locals and throw them on the wings as the transponders become useless because they are configured for spot beams.

BFG said:
Heh, I think that dish will have more capacity at 61.5 but it probably won't be used for HD. I keep reading more and more press releases with the word voom and Echostar in the same statement, coincidence :D

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=31117

Most of this is broad speculation by financial analysts. VOOM is bleeding $ and not adding subscribers at anywhere near the rate they need to survive. E* needs more bandwidth to counter D* in regards to HD. A buyout of V* by E* would be one scenario that would seem to solve both problems. Whether any of this will actually happen is anybodies guess. E* may well have other plans and be content to let V* slowly bleed to death. V* is expected to run out of $ sometime in the first or second quarter of 2006.

NightRyder

Scott Greczkowski said:
Remember 110 and 119 are spot beam birds, so they just can't remove the locals and throw them on the wings as the transponders become useless because they are configured for spot beams.

Just tells you how much I know, I thought they could be changed to CONUS.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I don't know if they can put the locals on the wing slots because of the "All locals on one dish" law.

They can put the locals on the Wings as long as all the channels for the market are on that same 2nd dish.

The law doesn't ban the use of two dishes, just spliting locals up amoung 2 dishes.

Iceberg said:

What if you don't want the SD. Can you opt out because I dont think my relatives would want a Superdish for one channel.

Look its a fellow WCHA member

GO FIGHTING SIOUX

Right locals have to be on one dish. if its a second dish it doesnt matter. such as you subscribe to at 180 you get the dish 500 you subscribe to at180 and locals and the locals are on 61.5 they would still get 2 dishes but the locals would all be on the 61.5 dish

Here are the 36 markets that currently have locals on a second dish, that may get moved to a SuperDish

New York, NY
Los Angeles, CA
Chicago, IL
Philadelphia, PA
Boston, MA/Manchester, NH
San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose, CA
Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX
Washington, DC
Atlanta, GA
Detroit, MI
Houston, TX
Seattle/Tacoma, WA
Tampa/St. Petersburg, FL
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
Cleveland/Akron/Canton, OH
Denver, CO
Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto, CA
Orlando-Daytona Beach, FL
St. Louis, MO
Indianapolis, IN
Nashville, TN
Greenville/Spartanburg, SC/Asheville, NC
Salt Lake City, UT
Memphis, TN
Buffalo, NY
Louisville, KY
Las Vegas, NV
Little Rock/Pine Bluff, AR
Fresno, CA
Tulsa, OK
Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
Omaha, NE
Paducah, KY et. al
Waco/Temple/Killeen , TX
Sioux Falls/Mitchell, SD
Santa Barbara/San Luís Obispo, CA

BFG said:
Here are the 36 markets that currently have locals on a second dish, that may get moved to a SuperDish

New York, NY
Los Angeles, CA
Chicago, IL
Philadelphia, PA
Boston, MA/Manchester, NH
San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose, CA
Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX
Washington, DC
Atlanta, GA
Detroit, MI
Houston, TX
Seattle/Tacoma, WA
Tampa/St. Petersburg, FL
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
Cleveland/Akron/Canton, OH
Denver, CO
Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto, CA
Orlando-Daytona Beach, FL
St. Louis, MO
Indianapolis, IN
Nashville, TN
Greenville/Spartanburg, SC/Asheville, NC
Salt Lake City, UT
Memphis, TN
Buffalo, NY
Louisville, KY
Las Vegas, NV
Little Rock/Pine Bluff, AR
Fresno, CA
Tulsa, OK
Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
Omaha, NE
Paducah, KY et. al
Waco/Temple/Killeen , TX
Sioux Falls/Mitchell, SD
Santa Barbara/San Luís Obispo, CA

These include the biggest markets. They would need a lot of superdishes. The Los Angeles market, I think, only has one or two must carry channels on 148. It doesn't make much sense to me to make everyone in the L.A. market get a superdish. I would much prefer having my current two small dishes to a superdish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)